On the errata page. I can't link. Here's a cut and paste.

Page 95 - Bounty Doctrine only applies to datacards and equipment found in the Lands of Taltos core rulebook (the book that has this doctrine in it). This doctrine cannot use datacards or equipment found in other Warlord books.

Bounty Doctrine seems quite weak, so I wonder why limit it to Core only? Maybe it's just a fluff thing. As a Merc player, having another book to pull from makes me dizzy with delight. Is one data card and one item that overpowered?

You're right it's right there at the bottom of the FAQ page.

My guess is that it's a step towards making sure nothing is broken in the future. Testing adds up when you have to cross test those 150+ new models in combination with Mercs and various equipment upgrades. There is also further cross combo testing if more factions are ever added in the future. If a broken combo is found then we have to specifically errata that combination and any other broken combos we find which just seems like the wrong way to do.

Not completely sure if this is the reason, but it seems very likely.

Well, it seems a bit premature to me. How many people even use Change of Heart? Those rerolls are mighty tasty.

I thought an errata might be issued in response to something becoming out of hand. Mercs are pretty vanilla. I can't think of a data card that might become broken in a Merc army. There is no combo, either. Change of Heart is the FA. Orba is Vengeful, Boris is anti-tactician, and the Zombie Queen boosts zombies. Self-contained, I think.

Oh well, back to looking at cool base ideas.

The other thing is that the design of Savage North was that it is a stand alone rule book, and vice versa with Core. If you allow Mercs to swap between the two, you now are requiring both books to be owned, which defeats the purpose of them being stand-alone.

Plus all the playtesting stuff shakhak mentioned.

I doubt Reaper would be too upset if people bought both rule books.

Since the only mention of this limitation is buried on the errata page, I expect quite a few Merc armies will be playing with Savage North recruits. I also expect these armies to be fun, fair, and welcomed in tournaments around the globe.

I just find it odd in a game where altering rules has been resisted with great strength on all fronts, Mercs get squashed before there is even a problem. Did someone in play test whoop too much butt with a Merc + Ice Toad army? I'm confused. What was the issue?

How many people even use Change of Heart?

In my experience, only ancient kung-fu masters who want a challenge or clueless newbs use Change of Heart.

As a purely practical matter, Scoundrel's Luck is the way to go.

-Lionheart.

The other thing is that the design of Savage North was that it is a stand alone rule book, and vice versa with Core. If you allow Mercs to swap between the two, you now are requiring both books to be owned, which defeats the purpose of them being stand-alone.

Plus all the playtesting stuff shakhak mentioned.

Why would you need two books? The cards are already up. All you'd need is the Taltos book and the Savage cards.

How many people even use Change of Heart?

In my experience, only ancient kung-fu masters who want a challenge or clueless newbs use Change of Heart.

As a purely practical matter, Scoundrel's Luck is the way to go.

-Lionheart.

There are plenty of tactics that make Change of Heart a great doctrine. The monsters and solo choices are crap, they have no burrow, flyer or mounted. And are pretty lacking in the better melee SA like frenzy, first strike, weaponmaster etc...

Who needs frenzy, first strike, and weaponmaster when almost every merc has CLEAVE?

But I do see your point on Solos. That's where I go first when I think about Change of Heart. I like big monsters.

Lionheart, I agree...mostly. On paper and in practice, rerolls are a better choice. But the sheer fun of Change of Heart calls to me, at least a few times. That also keeps my opponents on their toes. What madness will I bring next?

i'll make a case for the Bounty Doctrine, as Change of Heart and Plunder don't appear to be mutually exclusive. So you could take an oddball solitaire and equip them with an oddball magic item to deal with any percieved weaknesses. Let's say the core build of your Merc army lacks awesome troop killing ability. Take Marilith (and her 6 MA's) and equip her with a Dragon's Claw. Her first attack has the Swing-Thru SA and she follows that up with 5 mare attacks. Or, if you're worried about losing her to defensive strkes' give her theSpiritual Hammer and use the Reach SA to attack from behind entrenched models. That is just one possibilty out quite a lot.

As a bonus, you could come up with some really really cool combos fluff-wise.

That's a very good point. And one I admit I hadn't considered. I was looking at how the looted item could help Mercs. But it can help anyone in the army! Very cool. I am going to look into this idea.

the example I gave is one I've been considering sine I got the book and discovered the Bounty Doctrine. On the other extreme, I could choose the Ice Demon card and run a band of them (yeah, like the Mercs need MORE cleave...) and give a Gruesome Weapon (or whatever) to one of my Merc leaders.

Bounty Doctrine seems to be geared towards Merc players making the most of their overall mini collection. I draw a paralel to Warmachine's Mercs in thatthey can be used to augment an existing army (I used them to buff numbers and abilities in my Protectorate army) or be used as a stand-alone force... Only in Warlord the situatiion is reversed, with others joining the Mercs.

I don't buy the argument that extra re-rolls trumps Bounty. If you engage in sound tactics, maybe your plan works, maybe it doesn't. That's the vagaries of wargaming in general . If you have no plan, you're definitely going to fail. And I've lost more games to crap dice than most people. Trust me... Rerolls weren't going to change that.

Here is my list of pure Cheese related to Mercs that I came up with and played recently. I will post about the game in its own thread, but the list was a lot of fun:

Mercs - 1000 points

Troop 1

Orba Sinhan - Assassin's Blade

Sokar's Prophets x 3

Minotaur x 4

Troop 2

Haranobu - Assassin's Blade

Sokar's Prophets x 2

Minotaur x 3

Mercenary Axeman

Troop 3

Raseri, Raging Barbarian - Assassin's Blade

--------------------------------

3 troops + 2 tacticians

16 models (46 DTs)

I chose to bring over the non-unique caster from the Nefsokar faction with its ability to cast Ironskin twice each.

The list is is built around the concept of a bunch of DR/2 cleavers running around the table hacking everything to pieces. The minotaurs have rush attack too, so they can run and hit something, cleaving it, and since the opponent is reduced to one swing back, they probably wont be able to do enough damage to even make the roll.

And of course tossing in several assassin blades with those cleaves doesn't hurt either.

I am doing my best to make a mercenary-cheese list. This is what I have come up with

Rocket Ogre list

750 pts Mercs

Troop 1

"KagunkOgre"-armor of courage, dunewalkercloak

Olivia-shadow cloak-familiar

4 Axemen

2 spear

Thug Musician

Troop 2

"Kagunk Ogre"

Leisynn

1 xbow

2 warriors

1 Thug

Troop 3

Haranobu

Elandaria

1 xbow

1 Thug

2 Okuran

Book of tactics

3 troops + 2 tacticians

--

At the moment this is what i have planned.

Troop 1 have a hack & slash ogre boosted up with speed. Movement 7+2 (and can walk through buildings)- This can be speeeded up with Burst of speed. Hopefully this fearless-frenzy-rocket will kill a lot and can later be healed up or get damage reduction. The axemen and spears should be relatively quick to move up and support the Ogre and benefit from a free inspire action. Olivia has awesome spells and I have given her stealth to avoid indirect fire(only 2 DT) and a familiar to get 1 more of the cool spells (and have a close defence bladebarrier minion)

I'm sure she will become a priority target if this launchpad tactic keeps working.

Troop 2 & 3 Wizards load xbows with barrage and get ready to teleport their captains into close combat.

Ussually these guys fight dark spawn, elves and crusaders.

Any cool ideas to powerup the cheese is welcome :)

If you are going to build a list around Kagunk, then you are probably better off making a Reven list where Gondas only cost a dime a dozen. Gondas can divine vigor and bless him up to a bunch of boosted swings (much more affective than frenzy that lowers your MAV when you use it).

Having said that, the list overall is not bad. As you said, it has a variety of tactics included. I dont like so many of the soldiers being MA# 1 ( 55% of your soldiers) but with the right spells cast they can still be affective.

Just be careful not to run kagunk too far away from the rest of the list where they can get swarmed.

What is wrong with MA#1 soldiers? A good move with rush attack and spears to backup defensive strikes looks okay to me. What do you recommend instead?

I can see that you can really make ogres on speed in a real reven list :) ..but olivia has some other options like damage reduction which i think is a cool spell. I like my Mercenary models, which is why I don't go for Reven, I just wanted something that looked big and mercenary like, and could add hard punch (My kagunk twins have actually been very successful in killing much more expencive troops while using frenzy)

I have considered a familiar more.