I agree with that philosophy most of the time, especially when facing Damage reduction models. In fact I had started out the list that way. But, I went this way this time for one main reason:

The Smite spell doesnt help ranged attacks and my build maximizes the number of people that get to take advantage of smite.

Ok so I'm looking at 10028 Legends of the Sands box and want to build an army around it, given 2 models are already in the Mercs list I guess it goes here.

Now my copy of the Savage North book is still on its way so I don't have a rulebook to check anything with yet so here is the army list with the proposed proxies.

I've listed code of the proxy I'll use with the word "Set" for models from the boxed set.

Army 999 pts

Troop 1

1 Orba Sinhan (136) Bracers of Mobility (10) (02447 Set)

1 Arik Tellazar (47) (Set)

1 Olivia, Priestess of Shadarzaddi (U) (45) Familiar (15) (02497 Set)

2 Mercenary Warrior (23) (02297 & 02439 Set)

Troop 2

1 Deckard Nightveil, Death Priest (59) (02433 Set)

4 Darkthrall Cultist (18) (02396 Set +1 extra + 2 of 02388)

1 Leisynn, Wizard of Chaos (U) (70) Familiar (15) (02426 Set)

Troop 3

1 Rod Blackreef (46) Armor of Courage (10) (03421)

1 Tallis, Cleric of Ishnar (U) (74) (Set)

2 Blackreef Pirate (28) (these guys have the right look already)

Troop 4

1 Raseri, Raging Barbarian (89) (02927)

Troop 5

1 Dendris, Assassin (U) (88) (02406 Set)

Troop 6

1 Stone Giant (88), Shadow Armor (10), Assassin's Blade (20) (03322)

Army

1 Luck Stone (3)

Of course the whole composition is mutable given the use of proxy models for much of it.

Ok so I'm looking at 10028 Legends of the Sands box and want to build an army around it, given 2 models are already in the Mercs list I guess it goes here.

Now my copy of the Savage North book is still on its way so I don't have a rulebook to check anything with yet so here is the army list with the proposed proxies.

Unfortunately, your first three troops are all illegal. In each case, you have too few soldiers. When reading a Leader's Troop capacity of (x-y,z), x is the minimum number of models with the Soldier rank in the troop, y is the maximum number of models with the Soldier rank in the troop, and z is the maximum number of models with the Elite rank in the troop. Thus, Orba must bring at least 4 Soldiers, can bring as many as 10 Soldiers, and can bring up to 3 Elites with him. Ditto troops 2 & 3.

~v

Ok seems I have gotten lucky in the past, or just forgotten the rule since I last worked on army construction. The changes only end up adding about $10 to the cost of the army anyway so that's not too bad.

Army: (1000 points)

Luck Stone (3)

Troop 1
1 Orba Sinhan (136) Bracers of Mobility (10) (Set)
1 Arik Tellazar (47) (Set)
1 Olivia, Priestess of Shadarzaddi (U) (45) (Set)
2 Blackreef Pirate (28) Standard (15)
2 Mercenary Warrior (23) (Set)
Troop 2
1 Deckard Nightveil, Death Priest (59) (Set)
1 Leisynn, Wizard of Chaos (U) (70)
3 Darkthrall Cultist (18) (Set + 2 x 02388)
3 Blackreef Pirate (28)
Troop 3
1 Rod Blackreef (46) Armor of Courage (10) (03421)
1 Tallis, Cleric of Ishnar (U) (74) (Set)
3 Blackreef Pirate (28) Standard (15)
Troop 4
1 Dendris, Assassin (U) (88) (Set)
Troop 5
1 Raseri, Raging Barbarian (89) (02927)
Blackreef Pirates will be: 2 Blackreef Pirate + 02448 (2 Dancing Girls) 2x 03188 & 1x 02956 - Dancing Girls seem like good Pirate Standards :)

I just got this game and have been getting my friends into it. The simplicity and proxie openness has been useful, although it is a shame that the army builder is down. (Has anyone found/made an alternative yet?) Anyway, The first army I'm making is Mercs and I'd like an opinion from the more experienced players.

Are Minotars worth the point cost? I'm taking six in a squad with Sigrid and a Restoration tome caster. Would the points be better spent on units elsewhere or on equipment.

I am also using the doctrine that lets me use a datacard of another faction to get the Overlord's incarnation of flame. With the wizard of chaos calling him in I can get off two fireballs in one go and obliterate mobs, but I'd like to know about other options

I like your idea of bringing in the Inc. of Flame.  Double fireball is a wonderful idea!  I had three fireball capable models in one game and I roasted the enemy.

Minotaurs can be good, but their large base size makes them easy targets and hard to position against smaller bases.  I think I own six Minotaurs.  I don't usually field more than two at a time these days, usually as bodyguards for Orba.  If you do have six, watch out for choke points of terrain that will hamper your guys.  You want to get them all into combat instead of only two while the other four sip tea waiting for a break in the lines.  Warlord doesn't enforce any kind of cohesion, so you can spread the six out in 2-model teams that can cover more ground.

I've been playing with the Ronin a lot.  Try them out.  Brutal guys.

1000 pt game limit.

It started as just another snake cult...

The idea is to create a screen of virulent snakes to take the brunt of the impact from charging lines. Or to wreak venomous impact upon enemy models. Each couatl model will be set apart by 7/8ths of an inch in checkerboard patterns if defence is required. If not, chaos on the battlefield.

Cultists will act as strikers and will imbed with couatl, familiars and wizards who shape the battlefield with walls, blasts, and AOE muckery.

Crossbowmen are to focus down elites and troops who are poised for charge a cultist group.

Each leader was chosen to accommodate leader loss in order of rank (Deckard, 2xHedessa,) as well to provide inspiration and rally. In the case of Deckard, he is also an additional spellcaster and elite killer. If buffed with dr/2 he may pull off a blade barrier which would be damaging. These leaders are appropriately geared to accomodate maximum hate.

I got a stone giant since its sterile and I like the taste. He is an arrow sponge and to be flung into combat by Liesynn or be fed by Liesynn.

Troop 1:

Deckard Nightveil, Snake Priest.+Book of Tactics+Assassin Blade+Shadow Armor. 99Pts.

-Leisynn+Familiar+Shadow Armor 95pts.

10X Couatl 90pts

5X Snake Cultists 90pts

Troop 2:

Hadesaa+Shadow Armor+Vemous Blade. 51Pts

-Olivia, Priestess of the Garder 45pts

4X Couatl 36pts

2X Merc Crossbowmen 54pts

5X Snake Cultists 90

Troop 3:

Hadesaa+Shadow Armor+Venomous Blade 51pts

4X Couatl 36pts

2X Merc Crossbowmen 54pts

5X Snake Cultists 90

Troop 4:

Stone Giant 88pts

Troop 5:

3X Couatl 27pts.

Luck Rock 3Pts.

999pts of elegant entropy. 6 Cards. 5 5roop. 48 Models. 3 Casters. 1 Spy.

Edited by Orange
  • Like 1

This is really interesting.  I've used Deckard to good advantage, and the model is great.  I've got some Couatl at home, too, so I could try something like this.  Merc Crossbowmen are the best in the biz.  I've not had great luck with the Stone Giant, though.  He does draw a lot of attention, and it sounds like that's your plan, so you've got a good army.

What faction are you going to face with this?

5 hours ago, Warwick said:

This is really interesting.  I've used Deckard to good advantage, and the model is great.  I've got some Couatl at home, too, so I could try something like this.  Merc Crossbowmen are the best in the biz.  I've not had great luck with the Stone Giant, though.  He does draw a lot of attention, and it sounds like that's your plan, so you've got a good army.

Currently, my nemesis army is Elves. These are no ordinary elves either. They got Saber-toothed cats! And Tree-men! And other such outlandish things!

I require solid measure of unit count and control to overcome it. Selwin comes at me with a barrage hit-and-run and the tree men b-line to my most expensive units and trample along the way. so expendable rangers with 2DT damage potential covering the board seemed apt to pair with the cultists and their bloodlust.

And ofcourse the old "ressurect the treeman" gag in addition.

Edited by Orange

On 4/3/2017 at 8:01 AM, Warwick said:

Played the list. Did well and most of my destruction ended up comming from the casters and crossbowmen. The Couatl did their job very well though.

Half way through the engagement I realised I did not have enough Anti-flying nor did I have enough capability to strike at high-value targets without suffering great casualties.

Also, no good against the undead.

Fun list...ultimately scrapped.

Edited by Orange

If the enemy brings a huge beat-stick you don't feel like bringing down...don't!  Never fight on his terms.  Send a single model to tie up Treeman for a turn.  Get lucky and you tie him up for two or three.  Put a really cheap model in base contact and don't attack.  He has to waste a turn killing a single, cheap model with his point sink.  And if your cheap guy has Tough, he might even stand back up!  Frustrates the hell out of big guy.

I don't bring a lot of anti-flying either.  Maybe I don't face them often enough.  A few crossbowmen is my best option.

You would need two or three models to keep him engaged, though since he could just retreat for free otherwise.

A mage with the invocation tome makes it even easier to overcome

Edited by SirArthurIV

Retreating is even better!  Ah, but I hear what you're saying.  He could just run around my solo model.  Well, I've had good luck with this tactic because it's an emotional game.  It's hard for a player to ignore that one model blocking the way.  Such an easy target.  It can't hurt to take one swing at it, right?  What's one turn playing with him?  He's so friendly and harmless.  You know you want to squash him.  Good.  Roll the dice.  Very good.  Oh...he passed his Tough check?  Looks like you'll have to spend another turn on him.  And maybe another.  And by then, it's too late!  My forces have scattered your army!  Your mage is dead!  Your archers mincemeat!  You have one Elite and a guy with Spy left!  SPY!!!  Now what do you do?!  HAHAHAHA!

Ugh, I need to game soon.  But all my supplies are packed for the move.  Sad...so sad.

Alright, Folks. New list. Easy proxy.

Bounty Doctrine

Troop 1:

Deckard Nightveil 59

10X Veil Swordsmen 13

Leisynn 70

2X Phylactery 10

Troop 2:

Mack Hardwick

3X Merc Crossbowmen 27

3X Merc Axemen 16

2X Veil Swordsmen 13

Theda 61

Gars 62

2X Phylactery 10

Troop 3:

Dingo 39

3X Merc Crossbowmen 27

3X Merc Axemen 16

Olivia 45

Phylactery 10

Troop 4: 

Artemis 35

2X Merc Crossbowmen 27

2X Merc Axemen 16

2X Veil Swordsmen 13

1000Pt.

Mage shenanigans is the core tactics. 3 of 5 mages are enchanters so AoE stuns mixed with swift attack and rish attacks to mitigate point loss amongst infantry. Crossbowmen are a must. Not only are they effective for the cost, but there presence allows you to set up decent charge lanes.

Another list, 999pts, 29 models, 64 DT

This list is a similar shtick. The primary hate comes from the Spellcasters supporting everyone else to maximum effect. I personally think this one will work very well.

Barrages, Blow-though, and Pierce. Oh my! Also, flying Soul Cannon which has 2x initiative cards.

Troop 1 (351 pts)
Mack Hardwick -BoT
Leisynn, Wizard of Chaos -

-Shadow Armor, Phylactery
Theda, Priestess of Thezrael--

-Phylactery
Mercenary Warrior x 6
Mercenary Spearman x 2
Standard

Troop 4 (70 pts)

Soul Cannon

Troop 2 (233 pts)
Dingo Appledimple
Gars Necka- Phylactery
Mercenary Crossbowman x 4
Mercenary Spearman x 2

Troop 5 (75 Pts)

Soul Cannon.

Luckstone

Troop 3 (212 pts)
Artemis
Olivia, Priestess of Shadarzaddi--

-Phylactery
Mercenary Spearman x 2

Edited by Orange
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2017 at 2:02 AM, Orange said:

Alright, Folks. New list. Easy proxy.

Bounty Doctrine

Troop 1:

Deckard Nightveil 59

10X Veil Swordsmen 13

Leisynn 70

2X Phylactery 10

Troop 2:

Mack Hardwick

3X Merc Crossbowmen 27

3X Merc Axemen 16

2X Veil Swordsmen 13

Theda 61

Gars 62

2X Phylactery 10

Troop 3:

Dingo 39

3X Merc Crossbowmen 27

3X Merc Axemen 16

Olivia 45

Phylactery 10

Troop 4: 

Artemis 35

2X Merc Crossbowmen 27

2X Merc Axemen 16

2X Veil Swordsmen 13

1000Pt.

Mage shenanigans is the core tactics. 3 of 5 mages are enchanters so AoE stuns mixed with swift attack and rish attacks to mitigate point loss amongst infantry. Crossbowmen are a must. Not only are they effective for the cost, but there presence allows you to set up decent charge lanes.

Another list, 999pts, 29 models, 64 DT

This list is a similar shtick. The primary hate comes from the Spellcasters supporting everyone else to maximum effect. I personally think this one will work very well.

Barrages, Blow-though, and Pierce. Oh my! Also, flying Soul Cannon which has 2x initiative cards.

Troop 1 (351 pts)
Mack Hardwick -BoT
Leisynn, Wizard of Chaos -

-Shadow Armor, Phylactery
Theda, Priestess of Thezrael--

-Phylactery
Mercenary Warrior x 6
Mercenary Spearman x 2
Standard

Troop 4 (70 pts)

Soul Cannon

Troop 2 (233 pts)
Dingo Appledimple
Gars Necka- Phylactery
Mercenary Spearman x 2

Troop 5 (75 Pts)

Soul Cannon.

Luckstone

Troop 3 (212 pts)
Artemis
Olivia, Priestess of Shadarzaddi--

-Phylactery
Mercenary Spearman x 2

I like these armies but I am not too sure about the Vale Swordsmen in army 1, you can probably swap them out entirely for a mix of the Spearmen and Axemen to use them to get support on long Rush attacks for about the same price combined.  Also I am not sure if the second army is legal with expansion units in them as mercenaries I thought were only allowed to take original release units.  I myself would not have a problem with it as it looks kind of fun to use.