Qwyksilver

Overlords

79 posts in this topic

War remains a way of life in Taltos, bringing untold riches to the families of Craclaw. War equals prisoners, prisoners equal slaves, and slaves equal money. Call forth your loyal retainers and take to the field, but watch your back. The battlefield is a dangerous place. Just because Craclaw has a common enemy doesn't mean one of the families will miss the opportunity to remove a rival.

For historical reference, feel free to view the past Faction discussion threads:

Overlords 2008

Overlords 2007

Craclaw 1.2

Slave Pits of Craclaw

Let me start us off by saying the new Incarnation of Flame is almost as awesome as the paint job I gave it.

Almost. ;)

PS

I'd also give a nod to the Warbrides for getting one of the best datacard upgrades between editions. They were previously models I never used; now I often bring 2 or 3 in a 1K list.

~v

So this is a variation on the basic 1K Overlord Onyx Legion list I've been using over the past few months. It is all about deck control.

Overlords - 1000 points

Troop 1

General Matisse

Kevis, Vizier w/Book of Tactics

Moraia, Warbride x 2

Onyx Chevalier

Onyx Zephyr x 4

Overlord Crossbowman x 3

Troop 2

Merack of the Onyx Phalanx

Overlord Warrior x 5

Overlord Spearman x 2

Troop 3

Incarnation of Flame

It has only 2 Troops during deployment and Turn 1. After the Incarnation of Flame is summoned, it has 6 Initiative Cards (3 Troops plus 3 Tacticians). It has a total of 4 Spys, which when used with the Hunter's Edge FA assures the last two activations of Turn 1, and a high probability of the first two activations of Turn 2. It is often not necessary to use all the Spys early, so occassionally they are still available for Turn 3 or even 4. With 21 models, it has a reasonable model count. Nearly the entire army has Deflect, meaning they can take advantage of both Unbendable and Wall of Steel when lined up. The list has speed, magic, ranged attacks, and a fair degree of durability. I often park the Incarnation of Flame in the worst terrain I can find on the board (via Hover) and have it sit there tossing Fireballs until the enemy does something about it. Fun. ::):

~v

I go all over the place with the Overlords, its fun to go back and forth between fielding a single mega powerful troop of heavy hitters and fielding a table full of bondslave survivors.

List i used recently with a lot of success is similar to yours:

Overlords - 999 points

Troop 1

General Matisse

Lola Darkslip, Assassin

Strach, Warmage

Overlord Warrior x 3

Overlord Spearman x 2

Troop 2

Merack of the Onyx Phalanx

Arik Gix, Inquisitor

Onyx Phalanx x 5

Troop 3

Vincente, Chevalier

Onyx Chevalier x 2

Same general principle, just no crossbows, but more magic and heavier horses. I have three troops, 3 spies and 2 tacticians.

Don't know if you have specific plans for the list as written (like to have a caster in Merack's troop), but if you swap Lola for Arik, it becomes a list with 4 spys instead of 3. You'd lose the 3 phases of combined arms from Troop 1 (Fight, Shoot, Spellcast) to only 2 phases, but Troop 2 would still have 2 (just Fight and Shoot instead of Fight and Spellcast).

~v

My favorite list at the moment is a DRASTIC departure from what I've been playing for the last 4 months. Which may be why I am enjoying it so much. The list is as follows:

Overlords - 997 points

Troop 1

Marquise Zora d'Arengo

Balthon, Priest of Khardullis

Moraia, Warbride

Sword of Venom

Bondslave Survivor x 8

Overlord Crossbowman x 6

Troop 2

Lorena of the Whip

Moraia, Warbride

Sword of Venom

Daughter of the Whip x 2

Bondslave Survivor x 4

Bondslave x 4

Troop 3

Onyx Golem

Troop 4

Onyx Golem

Troop 5

Luck Stone

This list may not have the turn controlling options but it does offer some great choices for combat options. This list when combined with the Voice of Khardullis doctrine allows you to use even humble Bondslvae survivors as Rauthuros slayers via the Trance of Khardullis spell combined with Incite (read my battle report in the epic daisy chain thread under general discussion). With the possible 17" rush attack range of the bondslaves you have a highly mobile (if disposable) strike force and wherever the opposition is toughest you can send in an Onyx Golem. All the while if you can place your Xbows on a hill you can rank them up and unleash a sky darkening hail of piercing death. Let's alos not forget the spells of the Marquise or the disabling characteristics of her attacks, Lorena's attacks, and the Daughters of the whip. Couple that with 2 Warbrides (each count as a standard AND a musician) and you can effectively whipe any tough melee unit off the table relatively freely.

On friday I used this list against Lynn's Crusaders and was able to kill Duke Gerard with a warbride (well, two warbrides technically) and only lost the one that martyred due to granting DR/2 onto the other on via Stone Skin cast from Zora. This is no easy feat especially since he was utilising that accursed Holy armor and had Haalbarad (sp?) backing him up. . until I filled him full of Xbow bolts. Balthon also came in handy in summoning some spectral minions to meatshield for the Xbows (meatshield sans meat?) and earlier by sploding a bondslave that I ran between 2 lion's lancers inflicting one track and shaking them. This left them open to a charge from one of the golems or a barrage from the Xbows. IT was a good tough battle and the versatility of this list really paid off I feel. SOrry, I tend to go off on a tangent.

Joshua

Maybe we should call the Spectral Minions Tofu Shields, since they are meatless shields :lol:

Joshua, how well do you find the Bondslave and Bondslave Survivors performing when your opponent gets the opportunity to engage you? If you are on offense, they look great, but if your opponent gets to you, it seems like the picket line crumbles pretty quickly, and crossbows don't last long then. What's your experience been?

~v

So far it hasn't been a problem getting engaged. Unless your enemy has a way of denying you defensive strikes you still get to return fire with a Mav 4 attack which has a decent chance of landing a blow on a foe. I expect the line to crumble though, it's 2 functions are to either deliver a solid one time punch or give the Xbows/golems time to handle the threat. PLus the moment they are hitting your bondslaves is the mooment they are close enough for one of the warbrides, sisters, golems, or any combination of those to assault them. Meanwhile, hopefully, your Xbows can suppress any attempts at reinforcing the fray. It's important to remember that Zora has burst of speed available. When you hit a 3x2 block of Xbows with that they get to move 6" (musician effect from the warbride) then focus and fire allowing you 6 rav 5 shots with pierce.

The one thing I do fear though is a heavily ranged army. I haven't faced one with that list and I think I'd have quite a challenge if I did. A pure swarm Bondslave survivor list like the one used to destroy the Daisy Chain list would be a much better choice since Chains of Binding has a 24" range (the equal of the best of archers) and 8 casters capable of casting it.

So I have a smattering of O'lord models that I want to make into a more coherent force. Right now I've got:

Ashkrypt

Balthon

8 Warriors

Count Lorenth, Overlord Captain

What I'm thinking I want to do is switch Ashkrypt for General Matisse, add some x-bows, Merack and some Onyx Phalanx, and enough Onyx Zephyrs to meet Lorenth's minimum.

Any suggestions?

If you are taking Ashkrypt , I'd definately add some Bondslaves . What size list are you looking at ? :unsure:

Your idea for exapnding looks sound to me, but I'd probably want to buy a solo or two too.

I'm looking at about 1000, maybe 1500. I've got three other forces to round out as well (Mercs, Reven, and Sisters of the Blade).

I've been playing with the army builder and have come up with these ideas:

Force 1:

Overlords - 998 points

Troop 1

General Matisse

Balthon, Priest of Khardullis

Overlord Warrior x 6

Overlord Spearman x 3

Troop 2

Count Lorenth, Zephyr

Onyx Zephyr x 3

Book of Tactics