I feel that my Overlord army is a bit lacking in the range department. Has anyone found a way to bolster ranged attack for ~250 points?

I guess it depends on what you are comparing it to. I like a handful of xbow models tossed in with the rank and file of an Onyx Legion army. With the ability to control the deck, I usually have the opportunity to set them up to take pot shots at the juiciest targets at opportune moments during the battle. With the potential of Pierce, 2 points of damage can be real nice.

If you are looking for an elite archer, you won't find one. On the other hand, Selthak or Lola with a Ranged Magic Weapon upgrade can be downright lethal at short range if you set them up right (especially if you can get the Focus in there; 2 shots with Pierce and Poison at either RAV 6 or 7 respectively). Both of these dovetail nicely into an Onyx Legion list, as both have Spy.

~v

No problem; although I got my start with Reptus, and it's probably the faction people most associate me with, O'lords have long been one of my favorites, especially the Onyx Legion. And although it is hardly news what they can do (variations of my favorite Onyx Legion lists can be found in this thread), most people are still surprised when they face it with how hard it hits over those first couple of rounds.

~v

I feel like the fact that I can field 144 bond slaves disgusting. Thank you overlords for your gift.

What do mosy folks use them for anyhow? Fodder? Quantity has its own Quality? Cause they're so damn cheap?

I get it with some cheap units (couatl, goblins, zealots, zombies) but why these fellas? 

They are ashkrypt's spell points and health. Take 5 with the mob rule and you are usually good. Or, using Lich's Bidding, you could keep them in base to base with a strong leader or good elite that you want on the front lines to keep them safe. Think of it as 5 points for an extra DT at max stats.

Edited by SirArthurIV
  • Like 1

I used an Ashcrypt army this week to good effect.  The Bondslaves and Bondslave survivors were well worth their cost and even had a few actually missed by attacks.  Of course several of them did the pass along damage thing and get used up that way but the Solo's I was running mostly just absorbed damage and died.  The bondslaves may have killed more than my onyx golems both did in fact.  Ashcrypt was fairly servicable and did not even get attacked before my two opponents killed off one anothers warlords.  It was weird.  But worked  Here is the army (I think)

Overlords - 749 points

Troop 1
Ashkrypt, Lichlord of Craclaw
Familiar x 2
Ranthe, Evangelist of Khardullis
Bondslave x 11
Bondslave Survivor x 3

Troop 2
Corvus
Bondslave x 3
Bondslave Survivor

Troop 3