Honestly, with the disadvantage brought on by the Mindless S.A. I honestly believe a LUck Stone is a great investment for the Necropolis.

On Mindless:

As much as Mindless has disadvantages in no focus, and no support, it does have serious advantages as well, Shaken comes into play alot in the game, and combined with undead, skellies and zombies are immune 2 pretty important game states (the other being poison). Considering just how cheap they are you can easily make up for a lack of focus and support with shear numbers in my experience. Not worrying about Fearsome, Naueseating, and Shock is very cool (especially Fearsome).

More on Railor:

One of the great things about Railor as a sergeant is that he can field 10 soldiers (plus an Elite), which is more than the 6-8 that most can bring (and he can field all Necropolis soldiers except Crimson Knights). He can cast Necromantic Surge and Life Drain, making him the one of the only non-unique healing capable models in the game (so he is great support for Solos, Leaders, and Elites in your army). In addition, if you drop 3-4 Railors on the board, it gives you alot of chances to counter Burrowing and Flying models with Winglock and Exhume.

Honestly he is the undead leader I use the most, I have 4 of them and usually put at least 2 on the table, so I must like them ::D: Hopefully I've sold him as a worthwhile investment (Heck, at 40 points you can't really go wrong).

Crypt Bats:

I haven't used these guys before, mainly because I dislike the sculpts, but I've always considered them more of mop-up units, killing models on their last track and dashing away. But a handful of them with swift attack could do some serious damage to full track models, I might have to revisit them as being part of my necros.

I agree railor is cheap and effective I've been using him since the old system. I only have two tho :( If I make a list that is not vampires railor is going to be my secondary leader(s). In a vamp list I use athak who I have two of also but only because there is two sculpts :)

OK, my copy of 2nd ed. hasn't arrived, but this is what I came up with using models I own and the online army builder:

Necropolis - 750 points

Troop 1

Sir Azarphan, Death Knight

Naomi, Mistress of Wings

Skeletal Swordman x 3

Book of Tactics

Familiar

Phylactery

Troop 2

Bone Horror

Troop 3

Railor of the Unbodied

Skeletal Archer x 3

Troop 4

Sir Athak, Crimson Knight

Gauntfield, Scarecrow

Skeletal Warrior x 4

Musician

Armor of Courage

Troop 5

Kaena, Banshee

Troop 6

Luck Stone

Thoughts?

I think you need some beefier soldiers. I'd suggest trying to build this list to 1000.

Necropolis - 999 points

Troop 1

Sir Azarphan, Death Knight

Naomi, Mistress of Wings

Skeletal Swordman x 3

Book of Tactics

Familiar

Phylactery

Ghast

Troop 2

Bone Horror

Troop 3

Railor of the Unbodied

Skeletal Archer x 3

Ghast x 2

Crypt Bat x 5

Troop 4

Sir Athak, Crimson Knight

Gauntfield, Scarecrow

Skeletal Warrior x 4

Ghast x 2

Troop 5

Kaena, Banshee

Troop 9

Albatross Amulet

I agree that some soldiers with a little more moxie would help the list. If you're still looking for cheap, low powered soldiers, take a look at the Zombies (regular type, not burrowing). 12 points, pretty tame statistics, but.. what is that? Tough/3?? Yikes! For 12 points you get a model that will be hit most of the time but that will not die 40% of the time! Now that's pretty snazzy! Great way to tie up enemy soldiers while your Bone Horror acts as a wrecking ball, and while your Crimson Knight and Death Knight do their thing.

One other note, and this is general really - not tied specifically to this Necro list. Kengar I've noticed that you have not been including Warlords in your lists. In Warlord 2nd Edition Warlords are seriously awesome. Their Warlord Abilities can be a real boon to your army. It's not like you MUST take one to field a good army, but it's worth considering. Maybe you have and you just have other focuses for the armies you have posted - and that's totally fine - but I just wanted to make sure to point out that you really do get plenty of bang for your buck when you field a Warlord. It'd be a shame to carry over the feeling from 1st edition that Warlords are just expensive captains when that is no longer the case.

I agree that some soldiers with a little more moxie would help the list. If you're still looking for cheap, low powered soldiers, take a look at the Zombies (regular type, not burrowing). 12 points, pretty tame statistics, but.. what is that? Tough/3?? Yikes! For 12 points you get a model that will be hit most of the time but that will not die 40% of the time! Now that's pretty snazzy! Great way to tie up enemy soldiers while your Bone Horror acts as a wrecking ball, and while your Crimson Knight and Death Knight do their thing.

One other note, and this is general really - not tied specifically to this Necro list. Kengar I've noticed that you have not been including Warlords in your lists. In Warlord 2nd Edition Warlords are seriously awesome. Their Warlord Abilities can be a real boon to your army. It's not like you MUST take one to field a good army, but it's worth considering. Maybe you have and you just have other focuses for the armies you have posted - and that's totally fine - but I just wanted to make sure to point out that you really do get plenty of bang for your buck when you field a Warlord. It'd be a shame to carry over the feeling from 1st edition that Warlords are just expensive captains when that is no longer the case.

Re: models. I'm currently working from what I own. Although I do have an unassembled Deathrider sgt and soldier with another ordered along with the rulebook. I do have 3 unpainted zombies, though.

Re: warlords. I currently have Moandain for Necropolis (I have Judas too, but unpainted), Varaug for Reven, and Kristianna for Crusaders. My current Reven 750pt list includes Varaug. When I get the 2e book, I'll take a look at the WLs again.

I may have some 1e bias holding over. The last 1e game I played, it was the three armies against each other in a "recover the macguffin" scenario. Varaug led his orcs, but Necro won with the skel archers (no one else had missile fire), and the last leaders standing were Ironraven and Athak (Varaug got swamped early by the Celestial Lion and some Ironspines).

Thanks for the advice!

Hello everyone. I'm currently developing my second army for Warlord and decided on Nercopolis. Here's a look at my 1000pt list so far.

Troop 1

Moandain, Arch-Lich

Skeletal Spearman x 4

Skeletal Swordman x 4

Ghast x 2

Troop 2

Elsabeth Briarkiss

Crimson Knight x 4

Naomi, Mistress of Wings

Phylactery

Wraith Harvester x 2

Troop 3

Gargoyle x 3

I didn't take any archers because I figured that with the two spellcasters I would have enough ranged attacks. My concern is that I don't have enough troops and that maybe I should reduce the amount of Crimson Knights to pick up some more Skeletal Swordman or maybe some Zombies. I do like the Crimson Knights because they have the highest MAV of the troop choices and also three wounds on the DT and the Vampire S.A., but at the same time they are 65pt apiece so pretty expensive. Any insight would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks.

Crimson Knights are costly. Mine do very well, even with that cost. Vampire SA only works on your attack, so be prepared. If you can manage a few "kill enemy and feed as he falls" you're going to be hooked. I've fielded all Vampire armies many times. Talk about your elite soldiers. I love 'em and wish I had a better sculpt. Not that the actual model is bad, it's just not BIG enough, you know. These guys plow through the enemy, taking heads and drinking from the stumps. They need to look so physically tough that your opponent has to make a Fear check just to field his army!

What are your plans with the Wraiths?

Crimson Knights are costly. Mine do very well, even with that cost. Vampire SA only works on your attack, so be prepared. If you can manage a few "kill enemy and feed as he falls" you're going to be hooked. I've fielded all Vampire armies many times. Talk about your elite soldiers. I love 'em and wish I had a better sculpt. Not that the actual model is bad, it's just not BIG enough, you know. These guys plow through the enemy, taking heads and drinking from the stumps. They need to look so physically tough that your opponent has to make a Fear check just to field his army!

What are your plans with the Wraiths?

Ha, a Fear check just to field an army that is an interesting concept. It might suck if you are doing the 5 turn limit your opponent's army might not ever make it to the table, lol. I quite like the sculpt of the Crimson Knights I just wish there were more variants of the pose. I always pictured the knights to be more acrobatic, doing flips and kicks at the same time they are hacking and slashing. I pictured the Ghasts more of the "plow through the enemy" type.

My thoughts with the Wraiths was since they have the Non-Corporeal S.A. and Swing-Through I could use them to remove archers, spellcasters, and other similar units that get left behind in cover. They have a pretty decent MAV of 5 and with Swing-Through I can possibly could take on two units since with the Standard base I don't think you could fit more then two units per side. They only have the one wound, but that shouldn't be that big of a deal since I plan on using them to take out archers which usually don't have the greatest MAV. Again, any thoughts on the list are appreciated.

Troop 1

Moandain, Arch-Lich

Skeletal Spearman x 4

Skeletal Swordman x 4

Ghast x 2

Troop 2

Elsabeth Briarkiss

Crimson Knight x 4

Naomi, Mistress of Wings

Phylactery

Wraith Harvester x 2

Troop 3

Gargoyle x 3

Your total added up to 999 points. Here are some of my suggestions:

1. Is it necessary to use the two best spell casters? They take up a lot of points and Naomi does not need Phylactery to support her.

2. Both casters have siphon souls. Whom are they going to use it on? The best troop to fit that role is the zombies.

3. Why do you need wraith in addition to gargoyles?

My proposals:

Troop 1

Moandain

Skeletal swordsmen x 3

Skeletal spearmen x 3

Zombies x 3

Troop 2

Elsabeth Briarkiss

Crimson Knights x4

Tharian, Bloodmagus

Crypt Bat x 3

Troop 3

Graverot, Ghast

Ghast x 4

Troop 4

Kaena, Banshee

Add a Luck Stone

Total = 1000 points

Moandain is the main caster with supports from his troops. He can use siphon souls on zombies. Troop 2 is the real punch with Elsabeth and 4 Knights. Crypt Bats can tie up with any enemy figures you want, thank to the no cohesion rule. They cost much less than gargoyles. Tharian is a vampire and has bloodlust. He can help in a melee combat in addition to support Moandain. The ghasts are a very good troop due to its nauseating effect. Finally, Kaena gives you an extra troop.

Not perfect but feel free to revise further.

Your total added up to 999 points. Here are some of my suggestions:

1. Is it necessary to use the two best spell casters? They take up a lot of points and Naomi does not need Phylactery to support her.

2. Both casters have siphon souls. Whom are they going to use it on? The best troop to fit that role is the zombies.

3. Why do you need wraith in addition to gargoyles?

My proposals:

Troop 1

Moandain

Skeletal swordsmen x 3

Skeletal spearmen x 3

Zombies x 3

Troop 2

Elsabeth Briarkiss

Crimson Knights x4

Tharian, Bloodmagus

Crypt Bat x 3

Troop 3

Graverot, Ghast

Ghast x 4

Troop 4

Kaena, Banshee

Add a Luck Stone

Total = 1000 points

Moandain is the main caster with supports from his troops. He can use siphon souls on zombies. Troop 2 is the real punch with Elsabeth and 4 Knights. Crypt Bats can tie up with any enemy figures you want, thank to the no cohesion rule. They cost much less than gargoyles. Tharian is a vampire and has bloodlust. He can help in a melee combat in addition to support Moandain. The ghasts are a very good troop due to its nauseating effect. Finally, Kaena gives you an extra troop.

Not perfect but feel free to revise further.

I can see you point about having the two best spellcasters and the point cost for them. I read up on siphon soul and can see how that can be very helpful especially if I'm going to be doing a lot of high point spells or just magic in general so zombies are definitely a must. I did like the gargoyles with their 3, MAV 5 attacks plus the 3 wounds and the flyer S.A. Looking back at the Wraiths I don't think they're worth the points given that they only have the 1 wound, but if anyone has an opinion I'm open to hear it. Hmmmm......choices, choices..... Okay, so here is Army list revision 1:

Necropolis - 1000 points

Troop 1

Moandain, Arch-Lich

Skeletal Spearman x 4

Skeletal Swordman x 4

Zombie x 4

Troop 2

Elsabeth Briarkiss

Crimson Knight x 4

Tharian, Bloodmagus

Troop 3

Graverot, Ghast

Ghast x 4

Troop 4

Railor of the Unbodied

Crypt Bat x 2

Luck Stone

Okay so with all the troop leaders being Undead I can use Moandains Warlord benefit can cast spells through all of them. The Crimson Knights and Ghasts are the heavy hitters. The Skeletons are there to offer Moandains protection while he can siphon off of the zombies for more spell points. Railor can cast the Banshee's Wail which causes Shaken giving the Crypt Bats 2, MAV 5 attacks if cast successful. Feedback always welcome. Thanks.

Troop 4 is illegal. Railor requires 4 soldiers to form a unit. Easily fixable. Otherwise, look fine with me. Test it out and tell us how it goes.

Troop 4 is illegal. Railor requires 4 soldiers to form a unit. Easily fixable. Otherwise, look fine with me. Test it out and tell us how it goes.

Whoops! I'll have to fix that.

Necropolis - 1000 points

Troop 1

Moandain, Arch-Lich

Skeletal Swordman x 4

Skeletal Spearman x 4

Zombie x 5

Troop 2

Elsabeth Briarkiss

Crimson Knight x 4

Tharian, Bloodmagus

Troop 3

Graverot, Ghast

Ghast x 3

Troop 4

Railor of the Unbodied

Crypt Bat x 3

Luck Stone

Not much of a change just dropped a Ghast and picked up a Crypt Bat to make Troop 4 legal and added a zombie to Troop 1 to fill out the points. I come from play the Dwarves so the Nercopolis definitely has a different flair to it which I like.

Still illegal! Railor needs 4 soldiers with him to make a legal unit. And now troop 3 is illegal as Graverot also has a 4-soldier minimum...

Here's my recommendation:

Troop 1

Moandain, Arch-Lich

Skeletal Swordman x 3

Skeletal Spearman x 3

Zombie x 2

Troop 2

Elsabeth Briarkiss

Crimson Knight x 4

Tharian, Bloodmagus

Troop 3

Graverot, Ghast

Ghast x 4

Troop 4

Railor of the Unbodied

Crypt Bat x 4

Troops 3 and 4 will pack extra punch, with the tradeoff that Moandain won't have as much protection around him. Which is OK just as long as you keep Elsabeth at the midfield and send graverot and railor forward to do the heavy lifting.

Whoops. Again. ::P: Yeah, I like your idea about beefing up Troops 3 and 4. I didn't plan on getting Moandain in close combat I want him for his spellcasting. Also, having all the troop leaders being undead allows me to use Moandain special rule which makes all troop leader act like familiars in the sense that I can channel spells through them. Which again allows Moandain to hang back and cast spells while the others do the fighting.