236 replies to this topic

#226 Hymn

Hymn

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:58 AM

My story is somewhat...ordinary, but I'll leave it anyway.

I first started gaming when I was a kid upon learning of the Star Trek: The Next Generation CCG. In 2010, I found board gaming. I met a buddy through board gaming who was really into fantasy, role playing, and cool models. He's the kind of guy who finds something new and will soak up all the information he can find about it immediately. He discovered mini painting and immediately became excellent at it (painting about 500 minis in his first year or so). We started a Pathfinder group and began hanging out more regularly. He convinced me to join the hobby. After a few months, he mentioned Reaper in passing and said he was going to a convention called ReaperCon. He was on fire when he returned and convinced me to get into Warlord. We took a trip up to the store to buy our armies and were given a factory tour, too. Now I find myself on the forums, having attended my first ReaperCon, and not looking back!

• Dilvish the Deliverer, kay13, Pingo and 3 others like this

Hymn (Dan)
Miniature Central - Collect and Conquer!

#227 Arc 724

Arc 724

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:03 PM

My memory is reluctantly void for most of my childhood – due to hospitalization – but I recall requesting a Reaper Mini’s catalog to be sent to my house:

That time in my life my brother and I were in a race to be “the guy with the awesome skill,” we both decided to paint miniatures. The local hobby store (The Excalibur – Jonesboro, GA) had a wide variety of miniatures and I just happened to pick up a few. With a half a dozen pewter miniatures in tow, I was ready to paint. Upon getting home and removing them from the respective packing I finally noticed the brand, REAPER. After a brief investigation on my fathers dial up connection I found their website and requested a paper catalog sent to my house. I think the figures that stuck out in my mind the most where at the end of the catalog: DOOM, from the popular video game. I never ordered them and always regretted it… From then on I was hooked.

After several years (middle school, high school, College) I am finally returning to this once loved hobby, and back to REAPER I came. I just received my newest batch and am currently working on them for a new table top game a friend of mine is developing! Thanks Reaper.

Edited by Arc 724, 22 May 2014 - 12:13 PM.

• smokingwreckage, Dilvish the Deliverer, Darsc Zacal and 7 others like this

Devin of the The Grey Guard 

|| WIP Thread|Show off Thread ||

~SmokingWreckage "To a certain extent, you need to learn the paint as much as learn to paint."

#228 Marvin

Marvin

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:05 PM

My story's boring, but. I started playing D&D in middle school, really got going in high school. Bought figures indiscriminately and had a decent collection I'd never even started painting or anything--it unfortunately got stolen right after high school. I quit playing D&D then, too, but a few years later I got back into it when I returned to college and found an enthusiastic new RP community. I picked up a dozen or so miniatures, and most of them were Reaper--they just did it best. Their figures exemplify what I thought of when it came to D&D pieces. I painted a few minis--poorly, but I painted them. I enjoyed it. I did up a Reaper rogue (I haven't found the ID's on all these old pieces, yet) to serve as a Tiefling I was running at the time. Was super fun. Unfortunately I quit playing again, packed the minis away, and only recently rediscovered them. I felt an overwhelming urge to paint. The Reaper pieces are blowing my mind all over again--so I wound up here. I've got some more Reaper stuff on the way--my first Bones pieces are on the way now--and I'm trying to figure out how to paint better. Reaper's by far got my favorite minis, and I can't wait to try more new stuff.

• Darsc Zacal, kay13, redambrosia and 1 other like this

#229 Toasty

Toasty

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:14 PM

I found Reaper after hearing about them second hand when looking for good cheap miniatures. I am perpetually saddened that I missed the first Bones kickstarter.

• Last Knight and Joe the Revelator like this

#230 Michael-TLH

Michael-TLH

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1811 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:25 AM

I was randomly surfing the web one day, looking around and doing research for a D&D game set in Greyhawk. I was always the one who would be tasked with finding and painting miniatures for my group, so I was looking for specific miniatures. I happened upon the Forums on either the day it was created or the day after. I was very active for quite a while, but then took a long time off... but the Kickstarter(s) have brought me (and Elwood) back!

:blues: People are probably more excited to have me back, than you.

I doubt it, Elwood. I reallllly doubt it.

• Dilvish the Deliverer, kay13, Last Knight and 1 other like this

#231 pcktlnt

pcktlnt

I'd like to buy a vowel.

• Bones Supporter
  • 1367 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:44 PM

I'm stumbled across the first kickstarter while surfing boardgamegeek. I always wanted miniatures but never bought any since they are too expensive for an unemployed student. Then I did the calculation was like holy moly, pledge. First kickstarter ever. I actually blame Reaper for my kickstarter habit. When the project finished, I was like,....MOREEEEE, neeed more! I'm happy I have a job to afford some of these projects now. ^_^

• Dr.Bedlam, Michael-TLH, Dilvish the Deliverer and 5 others like this
Goal of 2014: 40 / 200 (yay 20% of the way there!)
Show Off: Most recent - 77053: Zombies
Work in Progress: 77052: Valkyrie

#232 fishnjeeps

fishnjeeps

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:08 AM

I first learned of them in 1996ish when I worked at a now closed Hobby shop. We sold reaper right next to the old Ral Partha figures and a few other ranges I can't remember (and one I can but won't name here, they know who they are) 

I picked up a few of them back then because I could afford them and the employee discounts just made things even better. 

I stopped painting around 2003 then picked back up again just after the second kickstarted (Yep I missed em both) and the rest is typed on these boards somewhere...

• redambrosia likes this
Posted Image

Glarif The Dwarven Smith
Boldly into Darkness Go: Down the murder hole

#233 Joe the Revelator

Joe the Revelator

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:39 AM

Played D&D for 15 years without mini's-- thought they were too "fancy" for our games. Only bought a pewter knight because we were trying out 4.0, and we couldn't very well play without figures.

Fast-forward to a crippling miniatures addiction of 2 years. I hoard little boxes of trash and scrap metal like a meth user, in the hopes I can utiize them in scratch-building. I buy reaper paint and army clearcoat like I'm sniffing the stuff. My wax carvers have more greenstuff on the handles than handle. And now that bones plastic is available at my local gaming shop, I find myself spending more, not less, on armies each month.

And nobody can take that away from me! ::D:

• smokingwreckage, Dilvish the Deliverer, Loim and 4 others like this

#234 TGP

TGP

The Great Pendrake

• Members
  • 2507 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

I wish I could remember.  :down:   I am not even sure what the first Reaper mini I ever purchased was, much less where I purchased it.

• smokingwreckage, kay13, redambrosia and 1 other like this

Boldly Into Darkness Threads:                          Character: Griff the Silent
//forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/54960-ddfantasy-recruitmentintroduction-boldly-into-darkness-go/
//forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/55020-boldly-into-darkness-go/

(Griff cannot speak so he uses:   CHALK   )

Warlord Threads:

/forum/index.php?/topic/25000-reapers-official-position-on-paint-and-proxy/#entry366031
/forum/index.php?/topic/31075-creating-freelance-armies/#entry463326

The post with all the Scales. The post with Base Sizes.

#235 Toothygrin

Toothygrin

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:10 AM

When I was little, my brother had a few model trains and with them was a number of very simple miniatures I painted them this was in 2000 I was 11. In 2006 I had just started playing Dungeons and dragons and had a half ton of pre painted D&D miniatures that I had fiddled around with and painted to give them better detail nothing much really I still have most of them. The first reaper miniature that I got was a wolf someone had already painted it and so I was ok to let it stand.

The paint started chipping on the wolf so I thought it would be a good idea to repaint it. That day I learned how to drybrush without looking up anything. I have now repainted this miniature about 4 times. In 2008 I was in Maine again and hadn't had a chance to go to a game shop in 2 years. so I spent a day driving around looking for one. I then got a box of warhammer lizardfolk and painted the whole box with testors (ugh the early days were rough.) I then remembered a Add in a Dungeon magazine I had for miniature market. I found reaper miniatures on there for a while until I realized the shipping was cheaper direct from the company.

Now, for my game group I do a almost monthly reaper order, out of my own pocket. I have a table in my room that has miniatures just sitting there in process of being painted or drying, Most reaper.   

I hope someday to open my own game shop in my area, as the closest real thing is in Burlington(they are not very nice though,kinda rude) and there are tons of gamers in this area. There is a shop that sells magic cards, but I don't count them as they don't care about any other game, and keep almost nothing else in stock. Unless whatever game it is they are getting is sent to them free and driven down their necks and that kinda annoying really.

I am a painter a dungeon master and a PC, and as all three of those things I will keep buying reaper miniatures as long as you guys keep making them. I know a company is awesome when they put a request box in the checkout and when you type in "Don't stop being awesome," they send you a invoice that says right back at cha with a :D .

Edited by Toothygrin, 30 August 2014 - 11:04 AM.

• Dr.Bedlam, kay13 and redambrosia like this

I am the ranger that shot dragons with a longbow at max range and when the door slammed shut behind me the rest of the party left. 

I am the paladin that put my hand into a hole of annihilation and wondered where my arm 

I am the Dwarf fighter that grabbed a magic shovel that makes free beer and was then cursed by said beer.(me shovel :( I mourn ye loss.) 

this will have more when I make more mistakes.

#236 redambrosia

redambrosia

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3081 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:50 AM

I wish I could remember.  :down:   I am not even sure what the first Reaper mini I ever purchased was, much less where I purchased it.

It was that time, at that place, around the corner from that other place. And it was that one mini. You know that one... with all the buckles. All. The. Buckles! :wacko: 

I hope someday to open my own game shop in my area,

Advice: Take an accounting class and take a marking class. Even if they're just basics. Take them. Apply them. Your Shop will do better if you do.

I'd add don't treat your customers like poop (pokes MissMelons knowingly), but it seems you already know that.

Edited by redambrosia, Yesterday, 05:56 AM.

Reason #412 on why not to multitask and paint....dipped my brush in salsa @_@

I have terminal figmentia. :huh:

My DeviantArt
"Cure for an obsession: get another one." Mason Cooley

#237 ttuckerman

ttuckerman

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 769 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:02 AM

I'll treat this as "When you came across Reaper as a special company"  I have been in gaming since the mid seventies.  About a year or so after RPGs started.  I have painted minis, poorly, for most of the time but never paid much attention to who made them.  Then I got an email about a Kickstareter for plastic minis.  I watched it for about a day until it was too good to pass up.  I then went to the forum and signed up for that.

When Bones II comes more than half my minis will be Reaper Minis.  It will take Bones II because Reaper is light on Western minis.  I have a few pounds of those.

• redambrosia likes this

I blame Buglips

ks_banner_vampire.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users