#256 rgtriplec

rgtriplec

Godlike

• Members
  • 2045 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:10 AM

Great story.

• Flamehawke likes this

"To be is to do"-Socrates "To do is to be"-Sartre "Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da" - Sting "Scooby Dooby Do"-Scooby Do "Yaba Daba Doo"-Fred Flintstone

2015 minis: January - 3, February - 10 painted + 6 repairs, touch ups and repaints

Running Tally: 13 painted, 6 repairs, touch ups and repaints

2015 Goal: 101

#257 goblu79

goblu79

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:36 AM

My friends and I started playing..ahh..way way back. I became the figure painter at some point mostly because I had done some miniature WWII painting before we started D&D. Like alot of folks, marriages and kids broke up the band but a faithful old friend kept ALL of our old Heritage, Ral Partha, Citadel and Superior Models figures in his store room. 

Fast forward to 2000..I'm coming home from the Dr's office in South OKC and stopped in at a small hobby shop that was about to go out of business. My kids are interested in D&D and kinda want to play. The shop has alot of this new line (new for me) of miniatures..something called Dark Heaven. They look fantastic and I buy a good few but they never get painted.

Fast forward again to 2011. My niece is a big WoW player and I've been playing with her on and off. She asks if I would consider doing a D&D campaign(still going btw..though Pathfinder now) and I jump in..remember the unpainted figures..my buddy shows up with all our old figures (which look like three kinds of hell at this point)..I end up painting the whole lot again..and do a little searching on these Dark Heaven things that I really like..and I'm hooked again.  ::D:

• TaleSpinner, Dilvish the Deliverer, klarg1 and 5 others like this

#258 Dr.Bedlam

Dr.Bedlam

Action Scientist

• Members
  • 4510 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:28 PM

It just occurred to me I've never shared my story because it is, pretty much, so banal that I'm pretty sure lots of people haven't shared the same tale.

Back in the mid 90s, when Grenadier went under and Ral Partha started going under, my local stores introduced me to this new alternative their distributor recommended.

When you think about it, it's a fairly exciting tale, after all. Even back then, stores in the most backward places* already bought into Reaper as the next big thing after Grenadier and Ral Partha.

* Vienna, Austria, may rank in the top 30, top 20 or even top 10 of a boatload o global city indexes, but I have yet to meet another major metropolis that does such a remarkable job at feeling totally backwater. Latin is still a pillar of secondary education, for crying out loud.

When Ral Partha went under, several of their best sculptors were already working for Reaper. For the most part, they still are. And they've only gotten better with time.

That's when Ken (who had burnt out on painting)  gave me his untouched Vampire box !  as well as two MSV paint sets.  

...aaaaand that's where my head would have exploded.

• Dilvish the Deliverer, kay13, Flamehawke and 3 others like this

Yes, it's my real face. But not my real hair.

#259 cycnet

cycnet

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:01 PM

I have been collecting pre-painted miniatures for about 6 years now, mostly the dungeons and dragons stuff (though I have picked up some pathfinder stuff lately). I started by collecting the DDM stuff for playing the skirmish game, but never really could find anyone to play with consistently. I was still hooked on the miniatures though. Eventually I found some people to play pathfinder with and this DM is very happy to have them! Nothing quite feels like plunking down a big baddie and seeing your player's eyes widen. I can describe stuff, but the scale really makes a difference for how players see things.

One of my friends that I know only from playing Final Fantasy XI with (yes, I am an arch-dweeb) posted about the Bones II kickstarter. I had never backed a kickstarter before but it seemed like an obscenely good deal, so I bought in.

I used to paint little army men and stuff with acrylic paint when I was a teenager, and I used to dream of the kind of miniatures that are available now being available then. I thought the army men were really boring but I liked the relaxation of painting them, so backing this kickstarter was a bit aspirational and nostalgic because it reminded me so much of that time.

Of course, I never knew kickstarters could take SO LONG, so I started buying individual figures from the Reaper website (I made a mess of a perfectly good wyrmgear... sort of wish I'd practiced more before tackling him) and my local store lately (I swear I bought enough that they upgraded their stock... for months there wasn't much there but I bought stuff anyway, and just recently I got deathsleet, Rauthuros or whatever that demon's name is, and a bunch of other great stuff from them.)

Anyway working on turning deathsleet into a green dragon because I have enough white dragons already, and really really looking forward to getting my long-awaited box of goodies!

• TaleSpinner, Dr.Bedlam, Pingo and 4 others like this

#260 Gor of the North

Gor of the North

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:19 PM

My dad gave me some for Christmas, and now my closet is overflowing with them.
  • Pingo, redambrosia and OneBoot like this

#261 Bangarang

Bangarang

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 01:44 PM

I was at PAX-South and was cruising through the tabletop hall and was fortunate to meet some of the staff and artists at the convention.  I was pretty impressed with the quality and price of the Bones collection.  So much in fact I walked out of the convention hall with 20 miniatures (Just about every Bobby Jackson and Werner Klocke mini I could snatch up).  I didn't have any spare room in my bags (see what I did there?) so Tim and Cheryl (I think those were their names) were nice enough to box them up for me.  Cheryl told me about the forums and Tim talked to me a bit about ReaperCon. 

• Last Knight, redambrosia and OneBoot like this

#262 redambrosia

redambrosia

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3619 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:10 AM

One of my friends that I know only from playing Final Fantasy XI with (yes, I am an arch-dweeb) 

hahaha I played for about 6 six years.

So, are MMOs more nerd-full than D&D in your book?  ^_^

• Pingo and cycnet like this

Immature artists imitate. Mature artists steal.

-Lionel Trilling

#263 cycnet

cycnet

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:13 PM

One of my friends that I know only from playing Final Fantasy XI with (yes, I am an arch-dweeb) 

hahaha I played for about 6 six years.

So, are MMOs more nerd-full than D&D in your book?  ^_^

I think FFXI is more nerdful than D&D because it seems more niche (at least at this point). I meet lots of people who play tabletop RPGs but no one who plays XI at this point.

#264 Ascension

Ascension

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:54 PM

Years ago now, back in March of 2008, I attended a tiny little gaming convention called WittCon on the campus of Wittenberg University up in Ohio. I was already a collector of prepainted minis at the time, mostly from WizKids' clix game lines, but I had an irrational fear of actually painting minis myself. Reaper changed that.

Despite the tiny size of the con (the most poorly attended WittCon in the history of the convention, apparently), Reaper had a paint and take set up there, and, probably after staring at it from a safe distance for a while, I was encouraged to join in. By the end of the day I'd painted up this highlander and this viking... both wearing a lot of green, because that's the paint I was sitting nearest. I'm actually in this photo from the event; I'm the guy in the white shirt with his back turned to the camera. (You can make out that highland warrior sitting on the table in front of me if you squint.) My paint jobs weren't great, but they were good enough to convince me that painting minis is doable, and I set out to expand my collection.

Over the following few months I bought another six Reaper figures (possibly seven... I would've sworn I bought an armored crossbowman, too, but I can't find him now), focused on characters I seemed likely to play in D&D, but my D&D games dried up, and I only ever ended up painting three of them (though I did at least do better jobs on them than on my first two). When I did back to playing D&D, I was GMing, and couldn't afford to buy a ton of metal monsters, so I made do filling in the hordes with a wide variety of plastic stand-ins, from Mage Knight minis bought in bulk after that game line ended to Legos and Mega Bloks and everything in between.

Then the Bones I Kickstarter hit, and I really wanted to come back to Reaper, but I didn't have the money at the time. Fortunately, come Bones II, I did, and now I'm eagerly waiting to be buried under a Reaper avalanche.

You know... I really ought to see about painting those last three unpainted metals before the Bones arrive.......

Anyway, really I'd just love to thank Reaper for coming out to such a tiny, tiny convention. They may not have realized it at the time, but they made at least one fan for life. I'm already looking forward to what to get next after all this Kickstarter loot. (Yephima is at the top of that list; I love that sculpt. I hope I can do it justice.)

Edited by Ascension, 15 February 2015 - 05:10 PM.

• Pingo, Flamehawke, Last Knight and 2 others like this

#265 Dr.Bedlam

Dr.Bedlam

Action Scientist

• Members
  • 4510 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 05:59 PM

Oh, man. You're in for a bit of an experience when your box arrives.

• Flamehawke, HornedTurtle and OneBoot like this

Yes, it's my real face. But not my real hair.

#266 Ascension

Ascension

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:30 PM

Oh, man. You're in for a bit of an experience when your box arrives.

Oh, I know. I'm definitely not aiming to paint everything; I'm just going to start with my favorites and see where that takes me. Hoping to improve my skills and work up to tackling Narthrax... I've got a black/blue gradient color scheme in mind, but I don't think I have the stuff to execute it yet.

• Last Knight and OneBoot like this

#267 redambrosia

redambrosia

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3619 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:56 AM

My paint jobs weren't great, but they were good enough to convince me that painting minis is doable, and I set out to expand my collection.

Welcome to the boards! Painting minis is totally doable. At least while you have something (finger, teeth, toes...) to hold the brush! :lol: Make sure you check out the painting tips & advice section for lots of great tutorials to expand your field of knowledge. Also peek in on the WIPs section. You can learn a lot over there too. I learned a lot from Buglips' Bones request thread and Corporea's thread. And anything Pingo posts is interesting and informative (unless it's in the randomness thread, then it's just interesting :lol: )

• Flamehawke and OneBoot like this

Immature artists imitate. Mature artists steal.

-Lionel Trilling

#268 Arikiel

Arikiel

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:23 AM

My dad gave me some for Christmas, and now my closet is overflowing with them.

For me it was my roommate. I mentioned how cool it was that Reaper actually bothered to make female giants that were also affordable. So last christmas she bought me a giant and two dwarf Bones minis. Now I probably have almost a hundred. >.<

• Pingo and redambrosia like this

#269 Lochar

Lochar

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:38 AM

I bought a couple of metal Reapers years ago for PCs one day when I'd left my regular mini's at home.  Never really noticed who the maker was beyond the fact that they were well detailed.

Cue last year, a friend of mine posted on facebook that you could get into the Bones II KS at a bit higher of a price.  I poked around the KS page, then bought in.

• redambrosia likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users