• Please log in to reply
279 replies to this topic

#271 Pingo

Pingo

Godlike

• Members
  • 10569 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:10 PM

Received the "Learn to paint kit" about a week ago. Needless to say I've already watched a hundred or so YouTube video's and have dived head first. Of all the times I played table top  games I have never used mini's and am looking forward to it the next opportunity I have. Regardless, I must admit there is something addictive about this that allows the entire world to disappear. Even when trying to paint with kids crawling all over you.

Play your cards right and eventually you can apprentice those kids into doing your priming for you.
  • sentinel, klarg1, kay13 and 5 others like this

I built a boat. Spelljammer pictures here.

Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.
-- Terry Pratchett

"Therefore, O Painter, make your smaller figures merely indicated and not highly finished, otherwise you will produce effects the opposite to nature, your supreme guide"
-- Leonardo da Vinci

"All alternate histories produce zeppelins."
-- Ken Hite's Law

#272 Lochar

Lochar

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:41 PM

Right now I'd only trust his oldest to help.  Middle and youngest are more likely to paint themselves or the entire house. :D

• kay13, redambrosia and Llamaroo like this

bones3_sig3.jpg

#273 Llamaroo

Llamaroo

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 12:54 AM

Yeah, Pingo I actually let the minion (clone number 1) paint a mini tonight. Going to keep this one as a reference but, the next one he gets, someday, I'll strip it and have him repaint it a dozen times or so. I do like the idea of having him apprentice as a primer first! To be fair Lochar only clone/minion 2 will try to paint the house since cone/minion 3 just puts everything he gets into his mouth. 

• kay13, Pingo, redambrosia and 1 other like this

#274 djizomdjinn

djizomdjinn

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:27 PM

Hmm... my brother wanted free shipping, so he asked me to look through the catalog for anything I wanted.

My very first painted Reaper mini was an Elise Anya. I didn't have acrylics at the time, so I used my brother's selection of scale modeller enamels. Brr....

Then the Kickstarter happened. Our current arrangement is that he pays for the minis, and I paint them. We're both happy.

• Pingo, redambrosia, Xherman1964 and 1 other like this

Critiques are always welcome on any of my paints or sculpts. If you feel something could have been done better, say so! I'm always looking to improve.

My art blog.

#275 Wizard Lee

Wizard Lee

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:53 PM

My first experience with Reaper were a few random metals I picked up with the intention of painting and selling (the only minis game I was playing was Battletech but I enjoyed painting).  My wife discovered the Mouslings line and we fell in love with those.  About that time, the first Bones came out and I bought all of those.  Which led to fantasy minis gaming (and a sidetrack into historicals 28mm and 15mm), and finally into Warlord and now I'm wanting to pick up CAV. 

Reaper is my favorite minis manufacturer.  Their quality is very high and always consistent (unlike some other lines) and they offer an excellent variety.  I especially love the holiday specials they do.  If I stopped by minis from every other company, the one company I would keep would be Reaper. 

• Pingo, redambrosia and Xherman1964 like this

#276 Xumenicus

Xumenicus

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:12 AM

I've always seen miniatures from Reaper at every shop I've been to, but only just recently started purchasing them for painting. My first purchase was The Grudge when I intended on painting and entering him for Genghis Con 2014, and right after he arrived he was promptly put on my Shelf of Lost Hopes and Dreams ™ due to my project at work spiraling out of control, resulting in me working massive amounts of overtime for most of the year.

In any case, 2015 has turned out much better than expected, and I've been able to return to some neglected hobbies. And now I have 3 pounds of Reaper from the metal exchange from this year's con to paint. D:

• pcktlnt, Pingo and redambrosia like this

#277 miniaddict

miniaddict

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:19 PM

I got my first set of Miniatures back in the late 70's it was the Heritage Crypt of the Sorcerer Paint and play set. Then later I got the Heritage Mines of Moria paint set and did exactly that, painted and played. Growing up a military brat we never stayed in one place for to long and finding other sets or miniatures to play or paint was becoming impossible. After 10 years I eventually gave up looking. It wasn't until last year (March 2014) that when I changed jobs that I found myself with a lot of free time. So much in fact that I really didn't know what to do with myself. 4 Years ago my son (an avid console gamer) was got into a game called Skylanders. This game requires the use of "Miniature" gaming peices that you collect to play the game. He game across some video on Youtube that showed how you can also repaint the figures, if so desired. Knowing my son for detail I thought it would be best to practice on on Miniatures before starting. So now begins my search for a place to buy miniatures. Remembering my fascination with Heritage Miniatures and having access to this thing called the internet I began my search. I came across a detail where Heritage at one point was owned by Reaper miniatures, and was actually 35 miles up the road from where I live. And even better was they had this thing on Saturday's called 'Paint Club'. Without hesitation me and my son jumped into the car and took off. Bought our first set of paints and like 10 miniatures and haven't stopped since. Even more so now that he has become addicted to CAV: SO.

In a years time  our paint 'table' has now become its own room. (Details)

DungeonDwellersCotS0001.jpg

• Dr.Bedlam, 72moonglum, Serenity and 5 others like this

#278 Xherman1964

Xherman1964

God of Like-Bombing

• Members
  • 2852 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:26 AM

I started out painting military models when I was like 12.

After years of doing that and reading Tolkien and such I was pleased to find some fantasy miniatures in the model store.

Somewhere end 70's start 80's.

They were Prince August, Mithril and GW/ Citadel.

So I got hooked on the fantasy miniatures.

A few months later I stumbled upon some Ral Partha and some Reaper miniatures.

In those days the model shop started selling Grenadier and their Dragon of the Month Line.

Bad days for my wallet.

I always liked the detail of the Reaper miniatures. Of course there are and were many other brands.

But Reaper is one of my favorites.

During the internet age ordering online and buying through Ebay and such made things easier.

I especially like the way Reaper deals with their customers, very friendly.

If you just look at this forum, you can post painted minis from any branch.

Try that on an official forum of the evil empire.

Also I find the quality of the minis from Reaper very good.

Great sculpts ( most of them, every company has it's bad ones) as opposed to a certain money making factory that happens to churn out fantasy and scifi toy soldiers.

If I had to choose and could only buy from one manufacturer, it would probably be Reaper.

• kay13 and Pingo like this

The World is a Rabbit, We are It's droppings

bones3_sig1.jpg

#279 wargamer

wargamer

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:49 AM

my introduction to reaper is much more recent, I started with grenadier for D&D back around 81.  started playing battletech and buying those minis about 88-89. then moved to the ral partha D&D line in the early 90's.  next was the prepainted plastic D&D minis while those were being made.  several years back I ran across a game/comics shop west of DC with a somewhat large selection of reaper metal minis and the rest is history.

• Dr.Bedlam, kay13, Pingo and 1 other like this

bones3_sig1.jpg

#280 dusty

dusty

Rabble Rouser

• Bones Supporter
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 06:16 PM

Been collecting since I was a teenager and I am 44 now. Early Grenadier and Ral Partha. Julie Guthrie dragons and Grenadier giants. Found Reaper an GW and other companies as my painting interest grew. Fell out of the hobby for a number of years but always kept an eye on Reaper and eventually back and to my first Reapercon this year.
  • kay13, Pingo and Xherman1964 like this

Wag more, bark less!!

Life is not measured by the breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users