• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

#286 Aryanun

Aryanun

Darth Bonk

• House Procrastius
  • 10314 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:11 PM

About 2001ish I went out to purchase some gaming stuff and found some minis. Ooooh. Sandra! Julie! Bob! I know these names from all the Ral Parthas I had in my collection. So I snagged a few and some new paint (Pro Paint) and a few other things and off I go home. I notice on the back of the blisters is a web address, so I check it out.

Green, black, and white. I think it was in frames, even, iirc. It wasn't a pretty site, but better than most and I just browsed pictures of minis for hours. But no forum. No biggie. I wasn't actually looking for one.

Time moved on. Back at the FLGS I notice an orange cat-headed thing. The body was a tube. A blue scarab of Sculpty attached to the front with matching earrings. A stuffed mummified cat plushie?!  :blink:  :wub:had to have it. I asked the clerk how much...

He grabbed the cat and promptly *BONK!*ed another employee over the head (and actually said BONK!). "HOW MUCH FOR THE STUFFED MUMMIFIED CAT?!"

The other employee grabbed the cat and returned the *BONK!* (also saying it), "HOW MUCH FOR THE STUFFED MUMMIFIED CAT? I don't know.... DAVE!!!"

Out comes the owner. They didn't *BONK!* him, of course. Dave knows me. I've been shopping at his store for over fifteen years. "Twenty!"

"TWENTY DOLLARS FOR THE STUFFED MUMMIFIED CAT!" *BONK!* - Employee #2

"TWENTY DOLLARS FOR THE STUFFED MUMMIFIED CAT!" *BONK!* - Employee #1

"SOLD! I'LL TAKE *BONK!*, THE STUFFED MUMMIFIED CAT FOR TWENTY DOLLARS!"

Off I go home with minis and paint and a Stuffed Mummified Cat Plush Toy now named... *BONK!* (the asterisks are important).

Time passes, but not a lot, and I check the website again, as I have been off and on, and suddenly the green is... gone. It's now red, and black. Pictures at the top...  :wow:

And a link to a ... forum...

I log in. A brand new shiny forum.

And I hit like I always do... like a rubber arrow shot from too strong of a bow that goes ricocheting around the room and never stops.

Except I did. For a little bit. There were reasons for that which I won't get into here, but suffice to say... I am BACK. I am home. I missed you guys.

• Dilvish the Deliverer, Vil-hatarn, Pingo and 3 others like this

BONK.gif Wielder of the original BONK! ™

"If I fail, they write me off as another statistic. If I succeed, they pay me a million bucks to fly out to Hollywood and fart." --- George A. Romero

"I told my husband Ma'al would be the centerpiece on the dinner table. Who needs flowers in a vase?!" -- Morihalda

"Flowers wilt and die. With Ma'al on the table, your players do." -- Aryanun

#287 LionMyth

LionMyth

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:35 PM

That's a tough question. 

Wikipedia says they made WWII aircraft and jewelry back in early 90's, and then went in 25mm.  https://en.wikipedia...aper_Miniatures

I think I received one of their scrye counters for Christmas an eon ago.  I didn't even know it was by Reaper.  ...Just fished it out. RC001S Silver Scrye Counter Reaper Miniatures (214) 434-3088.  The counter was given to me for Magic the Gathering.  It's still in the little white cube box with the little bubble wrap.  I'm guessing in it's mint condition it's worth 5 or 6 million dollars by now.  (just looked on EBay ... $70 for very used ... so, ummm, yeah, I'm looking to get 5 or 6 million for mine or I'm not selling it) 

Reaper could reproduce those base pieces and people could mount any figure on them.  That'd be pretty cool. TODOCOLE000034.jpg

If there was a photo timeline of all their products, maybe I could tell which Reaper miniatures first caught my eye.  Perhaps I picked up miniatures that the artists created before association with Reaper.  Like I said, tough question.  Good luck with you documentary.

Edited by LionMyth, 11 December 2015 - 01:58 PM.

• Aryanun, ub3r_n3rd, redambrosia and 1 other like this

#288 Reaperbryan

Reaperbryan

Living Miniature

• Super Administrators
  • 13807 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 02:23 PM

That's a tough question. 

Wikipedia says they made WWII aircraft and jewelry back in early 90's, and then went in 25mm.  https://en.wikipedia...aper_Miniatures

I think I received one of their scrye counters for Christmas an eon ago.  I didn't even know it was by Reaper.  ...Just fished it out. RC001S Silver Scrye Counter Reaper Miniatures (214) 434-3088.  The counter was given to me for Magic the Gathering.  It's still in the little white cube box with the little bubble wrap.  I'm guessing in it's mint condition it's worth 5 or 6 million dollars by now.  (just looked on EBay ... $70 for very used ... so, ummm, yeah, I'm looking to get 5 or 6 million for mine or I'm not selling it) 

Reaper could reproduce those base pieces and people could mount any figure on them.  That'd be pretty cool. TODOCOLE000034.jpg

If there was a photo timeline of all their products, maybe I could tell which Reaper miniatures first caught my eye.  Perhaps I picked up miniatures that the artists created before association with Reaper.  Like I said, tough question.  Good luck with you documentary.

So my penchant for typos is legendary. No catalog goes out without at least a dozen, and my forum posts are 10x worse.

This counter, though, remains my go-to defense when the bosses call me on the carpet for my typos, because I did;t even work here back then, but if you look, you will see that the company name is misspelled...  :devil:

• Aryanun, Doug Sundseth, ub3r_n3rd and 7 others like this

bryan@reapermini.com

tabletop.gifTabletop: Head of House tabletop.gif

Ludimus Ut Vive

#289 canuckotter

canuckotter

DoppelØtter

• House Figmentius
  • 2888 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 02:35 PM

So my penchant or typos is legendary. No catalog goes out without at least a dozen, and my forum posts are 10x worse.

This counter, though, remains my go-to defense when the bosses call me on the carpet for my typos, because I did;t even work here back then, but if you look, you will see that the company name is misspelled...  :devil:

Was that deliberate? :lol: 

• redambrosia and Adept Legacy like this

99% of good science is asking the right questions (the other 1% is explosions, if the Mythbusters are to be believed).

Incendere ergo sum.

2016 Progress: 85 acquired, 1 made, 21 painted, -LOL total progress this year

#290 etherial

etherial

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 955 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 02:48 PM

So my penchant or typos is legendary. No catalog goes out without at least a dozen, and my forum posts are 10x worse.

I would believe that if the figure in the center was a minotaur.

#291 Reaperbryan

Reaperbryan

Living Miniature

• Super Administrators
  • 13807 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:01 PM

No, I'm the kind of typist that hates Spellcheck, because most of my errors are actual words, just the wrong ones....

• etherial, Adept Legacy and Pochi like this

bryan@reapermini.com

tabletop.gifTabletop: Head of House tabletop.gif

Ludimus Ut Vive

#292 LionMyth

LionMyth

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 04:13 PM

That's a tough question. 

So my penchant for typos is legendary. No catalog goes out without at least a dozen, and my forum posts are 10x worse.

Holy Cow! ... I'm raising my price to ten million.

• redambrosia and Morihalda like this

#293 Dr.Bedlam

Dr.Bedlam

Action Scientist

• House Frogwarts
  • 6530 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:03 PM

That's a tough question. 

Whoa. I musta painted twenty of those things back in the day for a friend of mine who ran a card and comic shop, and never once noticed the typo.

• Loim, redambrosia, Morihalda and 1 other like this
Yes, it's my real face. But not my real hair.

Official inventor of Barbecued Gonturzap Soup.

#294 kitenerd

kitenerd

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:51 AM

I think it is funny that we all continue to post here... that thesis was probably done a LONG time ago, but the stories are fun to read.

For what it is worth here is mine... I came in through the backdoor.

I have known about Reaper for a long time, i would come and gawk, but as i hate to paint, i was like a diabetic looking at a doughnut shop.  Then came Dwarven Forge KS1, it came pre-painted!!!!  Suddenly ii had all this gorgeous terrain, but no altar for the adventure i needed.  With the support of folks on those forums, i was convinced that even i could paint a block of stone.  I did.  It was kind of a disaster, but strangely enough it didn't stress me out.

Got a LTPK for Xmas and found that rather than invoking anxiety and feelings of inadequacy, painting was relaxing and calming (something sorely lacking in my life).  Pandora's box opened and i started buying metal minis like a drunk poet on payday.  I paint very slowly, don't have an area i can leave stet up or much free time, but when i do i find painting very therapeutic.  Cheaper than a shrink and a lot more fun! 

At this point i probably have enough minis to keep me busy until 2027, but that doesn't stop me from wanting more.  Mostly i come here to gawk at the Show Off Forum and when i see a cool mini or paint technique... plop the necessary bits go in the cart ;)

Thanks to everyone here for the ideas and inspirations!

• Aryanun, Pingo, Harrek and 3 others like this

"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

#295 PaganMegan

PaganMegan

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 04:11 PM

I am not sure that there was ever a 'when' - I would game, and the miniatures would be borrowed from somebody else, and then I was painting my own, and somebody else would help me find what I wanted, so it was gradual - I don't think that I knew when my figures were Reaper and when they were by somebody else, until I started really getting into the game that The Grump was running at Border's with Duncan. Border's was a sinking ship, but I had been working there for years before Pathfinder started taking off.

The first miniatures that I bought for myself were already painted D&D plastic miniatures, but they didn't look too good when placed next to the figures that the GMs had. But part of why the store was running the game was to get people to buy stuff, so the plastic D&D figures were what I used. 

We never got to finish the adventure - there were goblins burning the town we were in, and singing while they burned - and I saved a baby that they were getting ready to eat - they snatched right out the window!

Then Grump and Duncan explained where miniatures came from, and the store closed, so I had plenty of time to paint, so they got me some figures and some paints - and it was a lot different than when I am painting on a flat surface.

And then everybody got into Bones and I was hooked!

• Dr.Bedlam, TheAuldGrump, Pingo and 2 others like this

#296 TheAuldGrump

TheAuldGrump

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2625 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 05:27 PM

Hey, you were the one that got me into underpainting - so I may have been doing it for a lot longer, but I have learned stuff from you!

If you want, I can run that Path for you - that was Burnt Offerings that you were playing in, way back when, and you only made it through the first half of the first adventure, the part you know won't ruin the game for you!

The Auld Grump

• Pingo likes this
Si Tibi Narraremus
Te Interficere Debemus

#297 Pingo

Pingo

Godlike

• Members
  • 14351 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 05:46 PM

I am not sure that there was ever a 'when' - I would game, and the miniatures would be borrowed from somebody else, and then I was painting my own, and somebody else would help me find what I wanted, so it was gradual - I don't think that I knew when my figures were Reaper and when they were by somebody else, until I started really getting into the game that The Grump was running at Border's with Duncan. Border's was a sinking ship, but I had been working there for years before Pathfinder started taking off.

The first miniatures that I bought for myself were already painted D&D plastic miniatures, but they didn't look too good when placed next to the figures that the GMs had. But part of why the store was running the game was to get people to buy stuff, so the plastic D&D figures were what I used. 

We never got to finish the adventure - there were goblins burning the town we were in, and singing while they burned - and I saved a baby that they were getting ready to eat - they snatched right out the window!

Then Grump and Duncan explained where miniatures came from, and the store closed, so I had plenty of time to paint, so they got me some figures and some paints - and it was a lot different than when I am painting on a flat surface.

And then everybody got into Bones and I was hooked!

Oh heyyyyy, it's Auld Grump's Megan! Hi, Megan!
  • TheAuldGrump likes this

I built a boat. Spelljammer pictures here.

Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.
-- Terry Pratchett

"Therefore, O Painter, make your smaller figures merely indicated and not highly finished, otherwise you will produce effects the opposite to nature, your supreme guide"
-- Leonardo da Vinci

"All alternate histories produce zeppelins."
-- Ken Hite's Law

“...Do you not twitter Gentlemen? I know
You will be censuring, do’t fairly though;
‘Tis possible a vertuous woman may
Abhor all sorts of looseness, and yet play;”
-- Thomas Jordan
(1660 prologue to Shakespeare's Othello, the Moor of Venice, apologizing for the presence of female actors)

"Pingo paints stuff you want in your brain. Fund her now. Thank you."

#298 edz16

edz16

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:07 PM

I've been playing Dungeons and Dragons for about 25 years and when the pre-painted miniature line was released for D&D in 2003 I was instantly hooked on miniatures.  I spent most of the 2000's collecting the D&D miniatures.  I follow a lot of DM's and other RPG'ers on twitter and one day I saw a tweet from one of them showing that they had backed this Bones thing on Kickstarter.  I checked it out and was instantly drawn to the variety of cool sculptures and neat creatures, monsters and characters.  I backed it.  A few years passed and I backed Bones 2.  That got fulfilled.  Then, last year in January 2015 after having the bones for a few years now, I decided that I better figure out if I was ever going to paint them or if they were doomed to permanent whiteness.  I attended PAX south and did a paint and take at the reaper booth.  From there I realized that it was fun to paint them and so I bought a LTP kit.  The rest is history.  I attended ReaperCon last year to take classes and learn to be a better painter.  Been painting now for 15 months and loving every minute of it.

• Aryanun, Reaperbryan, Darsc Zacal and 5 others like this

@edz16 on Twitter

#299 PaganMegan

PaganMegan

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:21 PM

About 2001ish I went out to purchase some gaming stuff and found some minis. Ooooh. Sandra! Julie! Bob! I know these names from all the Ral Parthas I had in my collection. So I snagged a few and some new paint (Pro Paint) and a few other things and off I go home. I notice on the back of the blisters is a web address, so I check it out.

Green, black, and white. I think it was in frames, even, iirc. It wasn't a pretty site, but better than most and I just browsed pictures of minis for hours. But no forum. No biggie. I wasn't actually looking for one.

Time moved on. Back at the FLGS I notice an orange cat-headed thing. The body was a tube. A blue scarab of Sculpty attached to the front with matching earrings. A stuffed mummified cat plushie?!  :blink:   :wub:had to have it. I asked the clerk how much...

He grabbed the cat and promptly *BONK!*ed another employee over the head (and actually said BONK!). "HOW MUCH FOR THE STUFFED MUMMIFIED CAT?!"

The other employee grabbed the cat and returned the *BONK!* (also saying it), "HOW MUCH FOR THE STUFFED MUMMIFIED CAT? I don't know.... DAVE!!!"

Out comes the owner. They didn't *BONK!* him, of course. Dave knows me. I've been shopping at his store for over fifteen years. "Twenty!"

"TWENTY DOLLARS FOR THE STUFFED MUMMIFIED CAT!" *BONK!* - Employee #2

"TWENTY DOLLARS FOR THE STUFFED MUMMIFIED CAT!" *BONK!* - Employee #1

"SOLD! I'LL TAKE *BONK!*, THE STUFFED MUMMIFIED CAT FOR TWENTY DOLLARS!"

Off I go home with minis and paint and a Stuffed Mummified Cat Plush Toy now named... *BONK!* (the asterisks are important).

Time passes, but not a lot, and I check the website again, as I have been off and on, and suddenly the green is... gone. It's now red, and black. Pictures at the top...  :wow:

And a link to a ... forum...

I log in. A brand new shiny forum.

And I hit like I always do... like a rubber arrow shot from too strong of a bow that goes ricocheting around the room and never stops.

Except I did. For a little bit. There were reasons for that which I won't get into here, but suffice to say... I am BACK. I am home. I missed you guys.

Eeee!

I can picture your eyes getting bigger and bigger with each *BONK!* and wanting *BONK!* all the more!

The Grump knows a couple that own an actual mummified cat but I don't know if they named it.

I think that it would break if they tried to *BONK!* somebody with it.

Grump knows some strange people.

• Aryanun, TheAuldGrump, Pingo and 2 others like this

#300 Dr.Bedlam

Dr.Bedlam

Action Scientist

• House Frogwarts
  • 6530 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:17 PM

Kinda figured PaganMegan was the one what was with the Grump.

I've met weirder. Welcome to the boards!

Yes, it's my real face. But not my real hair.

Official inventor of Barbecued Gonturzap Soup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users