233 replies to this topic

#106 Pingo

Pingo

Godlike

• Members
  • 6275 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:27 PM

I discovered Reaper one week ago.

I haven't painted minis for twenty years, but as a child, starting in 1980, I gamed and collected and painted hundreds of minis. I especially liked Ral Partha's, which were more delicate and detailed than most minis of the time. I tried to have a broad variety of useful figures, particularly female ones, which were awfully hard to find.

When I got married I gave them away to another gamer since tiny pieces of lead are not a good thing to have in a house with children.

Now my children are old enough to have their own tabletop battles, it dawned on me that I have missed painting and playing with minis.

So a week ago I set out to find what was available. My family had just visited our local FLGS, which is what triggered the epiphany, but we had already come home and it's far enough out in the far suburbs that casual trips aren't possible.

So I turned to the internet and found Reaper.

It is difficult to describe with what growing awe and pleasure I paged through Reaper's catalogue. Tremendous varieties of character types and races; really thought-out and skilful detail; lots of female figures, not just tokens; dynamic, expressive poses; credit going to the sculptors ...

And then there was the Kickstarter thing. Not only was the timing perfect, but since I no longer had my childhood collection of minis, there was nothing superfluous or unneeded.

Of course, I couldn't really wait until March, so I went over Reaper's online catalogue, picked out what I was interested in, and phoned in an order to my FLGS.

My minis, including one perfect for one of my current PCs, arrived the next day. I painted them with a will, although it is clear my painting skills are no better than they were in 1990 and I have a *lot* to learn. They are colorful and playable, at least. But I wish my painting lived up to the minis. They really are that nice.

So I am in the slightly odd state of being a total newbie to Reaper and modern minis culture and practices, with ten years of antiquated painting minis under my belt, and an old hand at tabletop rpgs, having played them steadily for the last 30 years and more.

It's nice to be here.
  • Last Knight likes this

I built a boat. Spelljammer pictures here.

Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.
-- Terry Pratchett

"Therefore, O Painter, make your smaller figures merely indicated and not highly finished, otherwise you will produce effects the opposite to nature, your supreme guide"
-- Leonardo da Vinci

"All alternate histories produce zeppelins."
-- Ken Hite's Law

#107 thatguywiththeface

thatguywiththeface

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 448 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:01 AM

I was browsing RPGshop.com and Paizo.com for miniatures, vinyl/laminated mats, dice, etc. I could use in a 3.5 D&D campaign that never got off the rocks back in 2007 and found a bunch of reaper's stuff on both websites.

I did manage to start a D&D 4th ed campaign in 2010, and it was really great fun, but seeing as my budget was limited, we used graph paper and pencils.

Though, I do still have my 3.5 books, and one or two pathfinder books, so maybe in march/april I can get my own game going if I can't find one locally that pleases me.

Which reminds me, I need more dice.

Just because you're a gamer doesn't mean you have to smell like a dwarf

#108 Darknight

Darknight

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:30 AM

I cannot remember when I first heard the name "Reaper" - but it was probably a long while ago. When I initially started collecting and painting I only got GW stuff, and would travel to the local GW store to buy items. The Virgin Megastore had a small miniatures section and I think there might have been some Reaper stuff there.

I become really "aware" of Reaper though Kenton Kilgore of "The Jungle" website - he makes extensive use of the figures for characters. He talks a lot about the quality and inexpensiveness, and so I went and browsed. Now, I am a big fan of Reaper because of the variety of models, the quality and character of the sculpts, and the inexpensive price point for metal miniatures. For rank-and-file blocks I will still go for a multi-part plastic, but for characters and to give color Reaper is definitely on my list.

#109 Nocturne

Nocturne

King of the North

• Members
  • 3114 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:07 AM

I've known the Reaper Brand for almost as long as I've been in the hobby. I remember seeing them at the local games store alongside the likes of Tim Prow's line of miniatures for Heartbreaker when the Dark Heaven Legends line first came out.

@nocturnerose

Currently procrastinating

#110 ChudMacGud

ChudMacGud

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:27 AM

The only experience I had with miniatures was Heroscape, and Hasbro flaked out on me. I was actually about to get into Warhammer. I really like to research something before deciding to invest in it. I was really on the fence about Warhammer. I loved the idea of painting my own minis and really wanted to start a new hobby. So I decided to start painting cheaper miniatures until I get enough painting experience to attempt to paint a $57 Warhammer miniature. (I mean, seriously now, 57 dollars for ONE miniature?? :huh: I don't care if it's King Leonclourwhatever and he is mounted on a Griffonthingy. Are the people at Games Workshop #@$%ing INSANE???)
Ahem, so I searched for other miniatures and read somthing about Reaper Miniatures and checked the site. Like I said, I'm new to this whole miniature hobby, so when I saw the great quality miniatures here for about $7-$10 I was shocked. This is the greatest place to get miniatures, and it's super-affordable, I love Reaper Miniatures. I already bought a few figures, just finished painting one today, and have more on the way. Im excited to start Warlord and plan on completing the Crusader collection by the end of this year. I'm a Reaper Super-Fan, and I wish great things for this company. That's my story ::D:

P.S. I wasn't bagging on Warhammer with the comment in parenthesis, it was for comedic purposes only. I understand why Warhammer is an expensive hobby, and I am still very interested in it.

#111 wonkey

wonkey

• Bones Supporter
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:49 PM

I started with an ork army from GW for 40k. Friends played for years, so with some disposable income i started to buy my own(almost a decade later). i started to paint my orks, and was not happy with how they were turning out so i started to do some research for painting information on the internet. I mean who didn't love orks right? Found the DakkaDakka forum and lurked their for a while. Someone posted a DarkSword mini for a contest they were entering, and went to that site, purchased the one video with Anne Foerster and Jen Haley, saw the paints they were using, and tried some and fell in love with them. my love for reaper was further reinforced once the kickstarter happened. At this point my first born will be Named Reaper Miniatures. ill let them sort out high school.

#112 Gryfter_92

Gryfter_92

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:21 AM

Once upon a time.......
So, I have been an avid gamer for years, I attended a Christian Boarding academy when some friends and I decided to play our own Fantasy game, which bombed horribly, someone picked up a Talislanta book, we played that for a bit, and then wound up picking up AD&D 2nd edition books. Fell in love with the game, and have been playing & running games ever since. A few years after high scool, while waiting to ship out to basic, I was living with the brother of one of my old HS roommates. He had two huge tables filled with minis. I wasn't impressed with the detail in them at the time.

Fast forward about 15+ years, I had settled outside of Pittsburgh, PA, and wandered into The GameMaster's Realm, a FLGS looking to Pick up a Players Hand book for my (then) preteen, who was interested in playing. Over the course of about a year I got to know the owner of the store, and he and his wife convince me to paint a mini. My first was 02263, Trezzna, by Sandra Garrity. I have only painted a dozen or so since that fatefully day, however I have well over a hundred, with who knows how many Bones coming....

In Feb of 2011 I was in the DFW area for work, and got done a day earlier than expected. One of my old army buddies lives in the area, so I figure I would go see him, and oh BTW, Reaper just happened to be on the way to his house. I was in heaven the moment i walked through the door. ReaperBryan gave me a tour, even though he was getting ready to leave for the evening. The entire staff made me feel very welcomed and part of something huge. I wound up spending way more than I should have that day. A few months later, I moved down here, much to the chagrin of my friends back at my now FNLGS. However, to make up for my moving away, I flew my friend down for RC this past spring. I figured since she was responsible for getting me into the hobby, she deserved to come to the con. Which, BTW will now be a tradition.

With life being what it is, I have been going through some tough times, and being able to sit down and paint minis has been what has kept me sane (well, that's subjective). I find it very relaxing, and therapeutic. Someday I will be able to paint a mini that I can look at and say "wow! Good job!". Right now my work looks like a 5 year old with finger paints compared to some of what I have seen here. :-)

Well, that's my story!!!!

#113 Ampersandrew

Ampersandrew

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

My first foray into painting minis was about 30 years ago. I was playing Rune Quest with some friends (they'd already done D&D and moved on). They gave me some unpained minis that they'd cast themselves. I did the world's worst paint job on them with enamel paints. Seriously it was so bad I literally haven't painted anything since.

I didn't do much gaming between the ages of 15 and 30, then another group of friends got me into their 3rd edition D&D game (they'd just converted their 2nd edition campaign). These days I'm playing Pathfinder.

I got into Reaper through their Pathfinder minis.

I'm currently running a Paizo advenure path. The Stag Lord is the big bad at the end of the first volume. I bought it, intending to paint it myself. I put the game on haitus until I got it painted. I eventually got someone else to paint it as my group got fed up waiting for me to do it. However, the big bad at the end of the second part is a large owlbear. I've ordered a large owlbear made by reaper and a learn to paint kit number one. This one I am definitely going to paint myself. I also have a metric ****ton of minis coming from the kickstarter.

#114 Seamus

Seamus

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:35 PM

Some years ago my flatmate at the time left a Reaper catalogue lying around. I glanced through it and saw the Overladen Henchman model and decided I had to order it (and a few others to keep him company). Still one of my favourite miniatures ever.

#115 Bloodtyrant

Bloodtyrant

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:21 AM

I started painting minis about 6-7 years ago, started with 40K Tyranids because I've always liked the look of them but I never played. Over the years of painting them I started wanting to paint other minis and using different colours since the nids were limited to basically skin and armor plate colours and I wanted to branch out to use different colours and paint on different textures. I didn't want to branch to a different GW army since once you start you gonna have to buy the rest and single models are quite expensive. So I looked around different online stores and I found one that sold reaper minis and I was surprised at the price of a well sculpted mini from reaper it was way cheaper than a GW single mini. As I browsed the store I found that most reaper minis cost around $5 each and they all had dynamic poses and each are unique.

Soon enough over the years I've bought at least 100 reaper minis about 1/3 painted. Reaper sells great minis and at a very agreeable price and very time I pick one up and start painting I feel like I'm bringing life into model, these minis are a great way to express myself.

#116 Chucktel

Chucktel

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:28 PM

I started painting minis back in the late 70's and early 80's. Our selection was very limited and so was our paint selection. For those of us who played D&D on a regular basis, minis were an essential part of the game. When I started college, education took presidents and all gaming, model building and painting took a back burner. Fast forward to 2012, both my children are in college and all of the extra time of athletic games, choir, plays and other extracurricular activates have come to end, I find myself with a little extra time on my hands. I remembered how enjoyable it was to relax and allow your imagination run free, so I started painting again after a 30 year hiatus. I will say the quality of minis and the paints have increased dramatically. I have only been painting about a year, starting this month. My wife thinks it’s a great past time for me. I have even started a game of Pathfinder with my lifelong friends. It is amazing how all the old memories come rushing back. Great fun and I would say I have missed it.
I went to North Texas State University in Denton, yes that was the name back then in 1980, and had Reaper existed back then, it would have been very hard to keep my grades up.
Thank you to Reaper Miniatures for such outstand products.
Regards
  • Last Knight likes this

#117 LiquidLimn

LiquidLimn

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:44 PM

Roughly eight years ago, while going to a local hobby store at a new duty station, I noticed Reaper's line sitting next to the Games Workshop models. I instantly fell in love with their miniatures. Not only were they more varied and dynamic, they were also much cheaper! For someone like me, who would rather paint than play, Reaper is the miniature company!

Having just started getting into painting again after my enlistment, Reaper has only solidified that role in my mind. Their line has expanded, and the quality of their miniatures is better than ever before. There have been price increases, sure, but nothing compared to Games Workshop.

I'm still not sure if Games Workshop even likes their customers. Almost everything they do says that they don't. Reaper on the other hand, seems to be a great company, and I for one, like being their customer!

#118 Girot

Girot

Drunk Bacon God

• Bones Supporter
  • 3699 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

I first discovered Reaper Miniatures's products while I was dating my first wife. At the time she had taken a significant interest in my hobbies and found a hobby store in Jacksonville (FL) that I'd never heard of. We went down to check it out and found that the entire middle of the store was Reaper, Confrontation, and a tiny handful of other fantasy ranges. My ex and I ended up buying close to $100 worth of Reaper minis (this was back in 2003 so there quite a few), including the original 54mm Sophie. It was a Reaper mini that was my first real fantasy mini that I ever painted (a female werecheetah of some kind).

2014 Painted Miniatures/Models: 42

tesune_avatar_by_girot-d7m9w4z.gifTesune in Boldly Into Darness Go

Download the Story Mode PDF to catch up!  Last updated 6-7-14

#119 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 14517 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

Was it one of the versions of Cleo, Weretigress?
2575 version from 2002 or 2140 version from several years earlier

There is an actual Cheetah girl, but she wasn't released until 2005.

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#120 Girot

Girot

Drunk Bacon God

• Bones Supporter
  • 3699 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

Was it one of the versions of Cleo, Weretigress?
2575 version from 2002 or 2140 version from several years earlier

There is an actual Cheetah girl, but she wasn't released until 2005.

It was the 02140 version. Unfortunately, due to the negative sentiment that model holds, it has been relinquished to the metal trade-in bag.

2014 Painted Miniatures/Models: 42

tesune_avatar_by_girot-d7m9w4z.gifTesune in Boldly Into Darness Go

Download the Story Mode PDF to catch up!  Last updated 6-7-14

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users