joshuaslater

No Television.

I never got the converter box when the country went digital, and I refuse to get cable. Any others go this route?

I've one friend who has done the same thing, albeit by coincidence.

Have a tv, but it's only hooked up to the DVD player. About 8 years ago me and my wife decided we were wasting too much time watching stuff we didn't really want to watch. We'd turn on the tv out of habit or we'd watch a show we actually wanted to watch.... and then keep watching after the show was over. At first it was a bit weird but overall I must say I don't miss it at all.

I've been going this route for about a year now. Essentially, I had basic cable $30 a month, to get the sci-fi channel I had to go to another package which would have cost $80 a month. Screw that.

Any show you really want to see is on the internet anyway.

NBC, ABC, and FOX are streaming most of their shows, this has many advantages to the viewers, less commercials, re-watch as many times as you want, when you want.

I've also got a few links for ya:

http://www.surfthechannel.com/

http://tv-links.cc/movie/index.html

http://www.hulu.com/

alluc.org

http://videostic.com/

http://www.sidereel.com/

Cadaver, you da man. I haven't explored all the options online yet. I've got the DVD player going, and will put movies on in the background while I paint/assemble models.

It's an ugly feeling when you realize growing up your entire life with television that you do have a degree of dependence on it.

I think the only way to really get quality television is to offer a package in which you pay for only the channels you want to watch.

This will mean the networks with the best shows will continue to flourish, while the crappy ones will fail, all in all, causing a network race to produce the shows people really want to watch.

Competition is always good for the consumer.

Television Darwinism. To a degree that's in effect on the networks, in that the shows with the most viewers are the ones that survive. Sadly, I'm never into those.

I bought the Jericho series on DVD, and love it. I've watched it countless times, and had it on last night again.

That show was good, had a rabid following, but CBS decided it wasn't big enough.

Television Darwinism. To a degree that's in effect on the networks, in that the shows with the most viewers are the ones that survive. Sadly, I'm never into those.

True, but many channels survive simply because they are packaged in the cable deal.

I mean , honestly, would you even have Lifetime on your TV if it didn't come in the package?

Edit: If they would let me pick and choose, I'd pick ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, BBC1, Sci FI channel, History channel, and the Weather channel.

That's it.

Same here - TV is hooked up to the VCR and DVD player, anything else is watched online, and actually surprisingly little of that.

HaHa a "Sonic" screwdriver, another Doctor Who fan I suppose?

Same here - TV is hooked up to the VCR and DVD player, anything else is watched online, and actually surprisingly little of that.
HaHa a "Sonic" screwdriver, another Doctor Who fan I suppose?
Yes. Yes indeed.

We still have a TV and Satellite, but the addition of a DVR has really changed our TV viewing habits. Just about everything watched has been previously recorded to the DVR, save the news. We're actually watching the TV less than we were a few years ago, but seeing more of the quality programs. With the ability to skip past commercials, most hour long shows only take about 45 minutes, and half hour shows around 22 minutes.

Another thing that has really changed is that our viewing of documentaries and such has really gone up - the Discovery channel and it's contemporaries - which I probably wouldn't have paid for in an ala carte package before - we've been watching far more from them than we would "live".

I do miss Public Television. As for Lifetime, I wouldn't be bothered with it, but it must have some viewers. The Cable industry is kind of an ugly monster in my book to begin with.

I don't watch TV, either - if there's a show that we want to see, we just wait for it to come out on DVD. We're a season behind, but at least we aren't bombarded with commercials and don't watch a lot of useless stuff just because it's on. If it's something we really want to see now, we do the online thing. Basic cable comes with Chaoswarlord's apartment and we've never actually turned it on.

We have a number of friends who swear by TiVo, too.

I've been without cable since 2002, by choice. The idiot box has been background noise for a very long time.

I'd rather do something interactive if I'm going to stare at something for hours... like play my Atari :poke: (I've got newer systems, but Asteroids is more fun).

we have a really nice tv but now that neither of us work for a satellite co. we don't pay for tv. we don't even have bunny ears (we live in a basement so they don't pick up squat). We do have a dvd player and 'internet' for the stuff we really want. I mean sure I have seen Serenity like several million times because its good background noise while i paint, but I can look up at the best bits and focus the rest of the time.

current fav shows we download and watch piped into the big tv:

Castle

Burn Notice

Dollhouse