joshuaslater

No Television.

No TV here, either.

My wife hadn't had TV for years, and I kept the most basic of basic cable just out of habit. We've been married 2 1/2 years, and we don't miss television.

I did the math. There were about 3 shows I wanted to watch, and if I paid $15/mo for cable, I could save the money and just buy the DVDs when they came out for less money.

Hulu.com used to be where I would pick up episodes of Heroes, but I don't even watch that anymore.

-Doug

Edit: If they would let me pick and choose, I'd pick ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, BBC1, Sci FI channel, History channel, and the Weather channel.

That's it.

And here's the problem. I don't disagree with any of your choices, but channels like the history channel and Syfy (gotta use the new title!) I think wouldn't exist unless subsidized by the "big" channels. And I also disagree that the consumer wins in this situation. The majority wins, but other consumers are pushed out of the product market because it is not feasable to create products that cater to their needs, unless you're willing to pay a premium for those channels. Even under the current setup, the small channels are struggling as it is: why else would Syfy show wrastlin', and The History Channel show endless episodes of Iceroad Truckers?

Damon.

I don't watch TV except when I'm travelling for work, then it's CNN or Fox in the morning because I don't have the ability to surf the interwebs for the news. And these two are pretty crappy anyway.

I download what i want to see. Anything else is not important in my books. I have too much to do to think about sitting in front of a box. I sit in front of a computer and play WoW instead :p

Cound this household among the TV-thru-VCR/DVD folks. We had cable for about 2 years right after we got married..and never watched anything but History Channel, Cartoon Net, Nick at Nite and the occasional Beavis and Butthead marathon. $50/mo seemed a bit steep then, and even steeper in retrospect.

If a movie is good, it'll be on DVD in four months.

If a TV program is any good, give it a year and you can buy the whole season

If you have the internet, you don't need network news.

If you go to YouTube, you can find almost any "classic" TV moment, no matter how esoteric.

If you are watching TV, you can't switch on AdBlock

Need I say more?

(edit)

Wait... SyFy shows wrasslin'?

FWIW I got to watch some Dish Network TV recently while visiting a relative for the weekend. It seemed to me there were 300 channels to pick from, but of those 300, 200 were paid promotion channels, 50 were pay-per-view, and what was left was news, sports, and various Turner franchises. It seems Ted owns just about everything worth viewing in syndication. Fox and the WB seem to be catering to the stupidest common denominator, and even Nickelodeon has sold its soul to the merchandising machine.

Hulu, networks do their own streaming, check out movies from the library -- complete with waiting lists. Though my only network show these days is ABC's I Survived a Japanese Game Show. fun fun.

I don't need to pay for any steenking media. I get the internet connection for work in the first place, and our TV is in a broadcast dead zone in the second. Currently it sits in the garage until we bring it in for Wii night.

Wait... SyFy shows wrasslin'?

Yes it does. Tuesday nights. 9 PM Central time. ECW. :devil:

Not that I watch or anything...:unsure::lol:

Wild Bill :blues:

I have been on rabbit ears for years. I did get a converter box to keep the 2 channels I do receive. Never have been into watching vids on the interwebs, way to much other stuff to do.

I don't watch much at all unless helping to entertain the kids. It also helps me sleep when my wife is out on business. I was watching Masters of Illusion back when there were new episodes.

It's a tough balance, however. I feel actual contempt for 99% of what the television does offer.

No TV since February. I decided then that it wasn't worth the price even with TIVO included. Now when I'm at my friend's houses I notice all the garbage they watch and it makes me glad I quit paying for satellite. I normally bring a book with me when I visit one friend in particular because his personal brand of mind rotting crap includes the lowest of the low like America's got Talent and American Idol. Forcing either of those two abominations on other human beings should be an offense punishable by law!

I'm fine with my DVD player. (Doctor Who, Torchwood, Firefly, Buffy, Angel, Family Guy, Robot Chicken, Metalocalypse, various movies and Little Einsteins for the kid.)

TV free since last November. Not missing it at all. If there is something I just have to watch (Dollhouse) there is always Hulu. I do have a Netflix account, and I am slowly rebuilding my DVD collection (a bunch "disappeared" during one of my many moves) but DVDs are cheap if you pick them up at the pawn shop. Not missing it one bit. Well maybe PBS. I've got a digital converter coupon floating around, and have thought about picking one up to get the local news but then I'd have to get an antenna to so... Plus I'm going back to sea and I get no reception out there.

I've been free of "live" TV since I moved in with my husband in 2003. I don't miss it. We have DVD players, rent movies (go out to movies) and also have a netflix subscription, we buy the occasional tv season on dvd (and get dr who and torchwood from a friend when they come out in the UK), so we're not entirely TV-less.. we're just at least a season or two behind on anything we watch, we're alot choosier about what we watch, and we use the radio or CDs for background noise.

It's amazing how much people talk about TV though. It's kindof sometimes conversationally awkward not to be able to talk about a subject because we didnt watch whatever last week.

/ali

Am I a bad person for enjoying my TV? I watch tons of Discovery / History channel, Comedy Central, SyFy. There is a lot of interesting stuff out there, IMO.

I can feel its absence. I liked The Tonight Show and Late Night before falling asleep. Being mindless is sometimes the point of television. As much as it's a valuable source of information and education, it is also a very powerful narcotic.

I've cleaned and prepped models with the TV on. Painted with it on. It's still strange without it.

Right now the only TV shows I have even a remote interest in are "Phineas and Ferb" on Disney (watch it with my kids and laugh for all kinds of grown-up reasons. Best Original Kids Cartoon in years), Mythbusters (even though it's in repeats right now) and anything involving Alton Brown on Food Network. I haven't watched a network show since Heroes ended in the spring. I also love Venture Brothers on Cartoon network, but 1:00am and 5:00 aren't compatible timeslots with my sleep schedule, so I get DVD's.

I too use it for Background noise when working on hobby projects. Most of the time that is movies, though.