Chronoscope gaming.

54 replies to this topic

#1 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 6242 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:14 PM

If you're following the Chronoscope range and a fan of Reaper, you've got to be over the moon about all these models.

Which ones are you buying and what games are you using them for, if not just to collect and paint cuz they're kewl????

Mine so far:

50092 Lab Mutant. I plan on using him for a fantasy campaign as what amounts to a Half-Ogre Monk in the Savage Worlds game. I know, Chronoscope is "Everything but Fantasy."

50037 Harvey, Psycho-Killer. I can't decide if I'm just going to use him for Spinespur, or a Zombie hunting game. His chainsaw reads "Zombinator" on it!!!

50013 Willy Brassbender. I don't play Warmachine, but he would fit into any Steampunk world, the Malifaux game from Wyrd, or many Savage Worlds games.
50061 Professor Froschmeister. Same as Willy, but I could even see him in the Warhammer setting!!!!

NOVA and Blackstar: I'm using them for Warzone proxies.

What you got going on??
A miniature venture of mine: http://www.cauldronbornminiatures.com

#2 Madzerker

Madzerker

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:17 PM

I am going to use the Intergalactic Marines for my No Limits American army. Nova will be security forces for my sci fi world in rpg.

#3 billr

billr

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:02 PM

I have bought for cool factor. Only one so far, but that has been an exercise in self-control.
Beer is the mind killer. I must not drink beer.

#4 nytflyr

nytflyr

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1378 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:10 AM

Im using them for my Adventure! game and for westerns as well

¤ª""˜¨¨¯¯¨¨˜""ª¤ª""˜¨¨¯¯¨¨˜""ª¤ª""˜¨¨¯¯¨¨˜""ª¤ª""˜¨¨¯¯¨¨˜""ª¤
Anything I paint that turns out better than tabletop is purely by accident!
Visit the Dirty 30s! - A sourcebook for Pulp RPGs... now with 10% More PULP!
Selling 30 years of gaming material, visit my eBay store!

Hirst Molds: 40, 45, 54, 55, 56, 60, 63, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 80, 84, 85, 86, 201, 203, 205, 235, 250, 260, 281, 282, 320, 321

#5 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 6242 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:33 AM

Coolness factor is cool by me!! I pity the fool that doesn't have some model or two in their collection just because they liked the sculpts, regardless of any gaming use.

I just assembled Harvey, the Psycho Killer last night, sans chainsaw, and actually think I can use him as a another version of Heresy's torturer model. 'Can't wait to have the PC's experience some Medieval...ness?

Must post some desires in the Chronoscope models we want to see thread, especially after assembling Harvey.

#6 Inarah

Inarah

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3887 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:33 AM

I have Sascha and Ellen Stone just because they are cool, and they are Guthrie/Ridolfi sculpts. I picked up a couple of the cowboy/western figures to round out my pulp western games, and a couple of the modern figures like Jake Ryan and the biker boss to add to my modern/horror gaming figures. I also have the weapons packs because those are always useful.

Unfortunately, for the most part I find the Chronoscope figures awkward and not as well-sculpted as the fantasy half of the Reaper line and I have passed on many of them because better figures are available elsewhere.
~It's not broken.... it's a conversion. ~

"I got my brother and his six year old hooked last week. They were soon back at the friendly local for more. Starts with a cute lil unicorn, next thing you're onto griffins and purple worms." ~ Carnacki the Ghost Finder

#7 ladystorm

ladystorm

Reaper Mom

• 7134 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 11:27 AM

most of my CScope purchases are because the figure looked fun no plans for gaming at this point.

I loaded up on the Deep Sea Diver to make dioramas because he fit our Scout Camp Theme. 125+ prepped for scouts to team up with the Aquatic Familiars and treasure chests.

April is Autism Awareness Month

Efficiency is intelligent laziness.

#8 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 6242 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:45 AM

Inarah: "Unfortunately, for the most part I find the Chronoscope figures awkward and not as well-sculpted as the fantasy half of the Reaper line and I have passed on many of them because better figures are available elsewhere. "

I don't know if I entirely agree on this. Some of the range just doesn't appeal to me, as I'm not playing Western games, and even the Post Apoc game I'm playing is verging on fantasy.

I think if you look at the lil' Froschmeister sculpt and Willie Brassbender, and see how they look compared to the fantasy range, you'll see the sculpting is on par. I think maybe the subject matter might throw some folks off.

For me, it's all about the game. If the NOVA models work on the Warzone board and look decent, I'll run with them. Hell, the Warzone range is over a decade behind now, so a lot has improved in that time.

I've looked around the house today, as I'm cleaning like a madman, and see that the barcode proofs of purchase I had all over are now increasingly Chronoscope. I wonder if other Reaper fans are going this direction. Time for a new thread, maybe?

#9 jdripley

jdripley

Compulsive Forum-goer

• Members
  • 1184 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:16 AM

I have Jake Ryan, Janus Cybertech Hero, and Doc Holiday proxied as my Black 13th unit for Warmachine (incidentally, I've also got a Sasquatch proxied as a Winter Troll. Why pay PP prices when you can pay Reaper prices?). I loved the rules for that unit but really didn' care for the models, and Cygnar is more of a side thing for me anyways, I purchased a lot of them on the cheap from a friend and don't mind spending a little money to flesh them out but I don't want to go full bore with them. So Chronoscope was the solution for me. A better price per miniature, and cooler sculpts.

Too bad I haven't gotten around to painting them <_<
Jim Ripley

#10 Bruunwald

Bruunwald

Godlike

• Members
  • 1298 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:02 AM

Nick Stone, Rosie, Daniel Sterling, and the NOVA guys, as well as the original releases of the Zombie German Soldiers, were all set to appear in a d20 Modern horror game I had planned for last Halloween, but life interfered and I decided - to my players' great joy - to skip a Halloween game that year and begin prep for this year's Silent Hill campaign instead. (Yes, new campaigns can take me up to year to get to a playable state.)

To that end, Dr. Ervin Friedman is in the mail, on his way to conversion into a zombie puppet doctor, and two of the Lab Mutant's cousins (Clay Golems) have had their heads lopped off and will have big, sucking, lamprey-like heads attached and belly fat added. Max Decker is on deck to die a horrible death as an NPC while the investigators try to figure out what's going on in the town (this time). Our first Silent Hill campaign ran from late 2006 through spring 2008 and used a homebrewed hybrid of the d20 Cthulhu and d20 Modern rules. The new campaign will be the same.

Doc Holiday, Rio Wilson, and Miss Scarlett have all been corralled for a miniatures/card game I am creating for my folks for the Holidays, and Jeb Lawson and Ellen Stone will likely get roped in for that, too (we need more 'injuns than just the Chief, guys - lots of them, please).

Sascha, Boris, and Action Jackson I bought because I like them. Sometimes I think of outlandish scenarios to drop them into, but right now I don't have the time to flesh any of those out. The Children I bought for utilitarian reasons. It's just good to have certain specialized minis around, in case you need them for something.

Most of the minis I buy, I buy with multiple ideas in mind, so a lot of the guys above already are planned for more use. I also do a lot of conversion work, so I have multiples of some of these, as well. For instance, I bought two Rosies so I could have one with wrench and one with gun, and also so I could use the second wrench for a character who coincidentally likes to hit things with a big wrench.
CreepyTown Miniatures is now on Facebook!
www.creepytownminis.com

#11 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 6242 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:06 AM

I buy multiples for the same reason. It appears Chronoscope will be no different than fantasy for me, as I needs options!!!

#12 wellender

wellender

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:36 PM

I'm buying mine for use in Fear & Faith and Super System. I can find a use for almost any of them between the two of them.

#13 Bruunwald

Bruunwald

Godlike

• Members
  • 1298 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:22 PM

I have Jake Ryan, Janus Cybertech Hero, and Doc Holiday proxied as my Black 13th unit for Warmachine... I loved the rules for that unit but really didn' care for the models, and Cygnar is more of a side thing for me anyways

I agree the price is better, but the sculpts? I don't think you can knock PP for quality. I love most everything they put out, including Black 13.

Cygnar is a side thing for me, too, and I haven't proxied anything in Warmachine yet as I am really still a newb, but I did put a cowboy hat on Caine from the Reaper hats pack!

Now he looks even more like Roland Deschain.
CreepyTown Miniatures is now on Facebook!
www.creepytownminis.com

#14 jdripley

jdripley

Compulsive Forum-goer

• Members
  • 1184 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:28 AM

Normally I like Privateer's sculpts, but the Black 13th just didn't grab me, you know?
Jim Ripley

#15 Sergeant_Crunch

Sergeant_Crunch

God of Overly Complex Tactics and Tactical Errors

• Members
  • 8665 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:37 PM

I bought the NOVA guards on the (seemingly waaaay) off chance that AICOM might actually see the light of day. In the mean time they are intended for use with 5150, if I ever actually play a game with those rules. I've bought several others, mostly on "cool" than utility. Mike Noe will be paired up with Biker Chick Sophie. Rex will be made so the base fits in a desert diorama with an appropriately modified post-apocalyptic car. He may see double duty in zombie slaying, except I still need zombies. All the rest (to date: Crosswire, Candy, Rosie) were bought because I liked the sculpt.

I'm not so sure I'd want to get hit by a missile with a "dog brain" AI.
My blog:  http://scsminimadness.blogspot.com/

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users