Sign in to follow this  
joshuaslater

Airborne Infantry

If I take Infantry, then pay the points for Airborne deployment, do I need transports to be able to move them later, after they've dropped from high altitude (off board)?

I'm gettin' a bit confused with the Mechanized Infantry/Airborne Infantry biz.

Well, Airborne actually just allows disembarking during the transport's move. What you're thinking of, I think, is "Drop Infantry". As you can only give Drop Infantry to Rifle Sections, if you want them to get anywhere quick after arriving on the battlefield, they're going to need jump jets or a transport section to help them out.

What I usually do so that this isn't such a problem is always give drop infantry rocket launchers--they can drop within close range and get a nice +6 (or even +7, since they can use their second action to target lock) before the enemy even gets a chance to respond to them. Three armored rifle teams with AT-23 and drop infantry is 420 points; 450, and they all have FiST and can call strikes too. For the price, one or two such teams can be highly effective.

You're confusing the Airborne Training Upgrade with the Drop Upgrade.

Drop allows you to place a Rifle Section anywhere on a table where you want them, so long as they're not w/in 12" of an enemy model.

Airborne allows an Infantry Model to perform a Dismount Action during a Transport's Movement Action. Even if the Transport and Infantry models aren't in the same Section, the infantry can dismount. Its a free action, so they could even do it after they've already performed their own actions. Note this is only a free Dismount - you have to Mount the Transport using normal rules.

FREX - You have a Mortar team w/Airborne Upgrade and some enemy Pumas have been closing in on them. On your last turn you moved a Transport from another section into B2B with them, but the Infantry had already taken their turn so they couldn't Mount. On your first turn you activate your mortars, they shoot, then Mount the Transport. On your next card, you activate the Transport and use 2 Movement Actions to move it as far across the board from those Pumas as you can, to a spot where they have a protected firing position. At the end of the Transport's second Movement, the Mortar team could use Airborne to Dismount from the Transport to its new home where it has better cover than their transport has.

Thanks. Gotta read more in depth, but once you're in full painting and excitement over the big stompers it's easy to become overwhelmed.

Cheers.