Chrome

Dragon Age

Tre, I'm with you insofar as I'm not with the times. I don't play computer games when I have so much pewter to paint and push around.

I probably would become highly addicted to computer games if I went there, but I'm a little long in the tooth to start now.

I will say these games are visually spellbinding, and I know lots of cats involved with online computer games. They are nuts for'em.

The fact that there is such a thing as " boots of striding and springing ". ;)

DOn't get me wrong, I don't mind boots of Elven kind that bestow silence, or maybe a tiny boost to jumping, but not limited flight, it just kills my suspension of disbelief. Any item that bestows a POWER should be unique, hard to find, and dangerous to use in one form or another. Just my opinion.

I think you're just making a mountain out of a mole hill. :lol:

OK, how about this? What she's really wearing is a ring of feather-weight, which slows her falling speed and gives her limited weightlessness; limited as in the 1-2 seconds that she's jumping. You can see one of those grunt creatures standing in front of the boulder she jumps onto right before she shoots him w/an arrow. If the creature is 6 feet tall, the rock is about 8' tall which is the (real world) high-jumping record; so it is possible for a human to jump that high. With a little magic help she can get high enough to actually land on the rock on her feet, instead of on her back like a high-jumper would. So with just a small bit of magic help - a tiny boost as you said - that should be possible.

After she kills the emissary, we don't see her again until she's standing on top of a totally different piece of terrain. Now you seem to be assuming that she jumped up there, but I'm betting that she climbed up there - afterall she is a rogue and rogues are supposed to be good at climbing stuff. How else do you get up to those second story windows? So no magic involved there. Then when she has to make that hasty retreat, all she does is a simple back-flip that any gymnast can do, while using her magic ring to slow her fall. Again, possible with just a small boost from magic. ::):

On a related note SIGIL, check out this short video on the site. It shows a "normal" Grey Warden fighting in full armor. Helmet and all. :poke:http://dragonage.bioware.com/hero/ I love how he uses his shield. ::):

Graphics look awesome.

I didn't realize so many creatures in the world were made of ketchup packets...

I'm ok with blood in video games, just not in quart sized containers that explode upon contact.

here here lawgiver.

Well pointing out the SRD entry for the item doesn't really sway my opinion. I guess I am just getting old and showing it.

AS for the ring of feather weight, in the movie there is a scene where she jumps in between two on coming " orcs " slicing both of their throats on her way through into her DESCENT. Now, the only thing that gives you force whilst in mid air is your weight and any force behind it which propelled said weight to begin with. If she were wearing a ring that made her temporarily pseudo weightless while descending then I don't think she could deliver the force neccessary to make those cuts.....

And why the hell did she perform that little bit of acrobatics anyway?? Would it not have been just as effective to run between the two things instead of jump?? I mean it did not seem like they were all that much of a threat anyway? Hell why bother doing anythign when you have a witch who can make people EXPLODE!!! Or turn into a GIANT SPIDER FROM HELL!! Or throw lightening bolts!!

And what kind of walking erection thinkis it is a good idea to get " romantically " involved with such a woman anyway??? Are you INSANE!!! One wrong word at the wrong time and you could VERY easily be lunch, confetti, or Bar-B-Que! No thanks man, I will just stick with tavern wenches and moody rogue types.

here here lawgiver.

I will give you that one, there seems to be a bit too much gore flying around. But then again I've never actually seen a person get disembowled with a sword (or anything else for that matter) so I have no idea what would be realistic.

AS for the ring of feather weight, in the movie there is a scene where she jumps in between two on coming " orcs " slicing both of their throats on her way through into her DESCENT. Now, the only thing that gives you force whilst in mid air is your weight and any force behind it which propelled said weight to begin with. If she were wearing a ring that made her temporarily pseudo weightless while descending then I don't think she could deliver the force neccessary to make those cuts.....

That's no huge jump in the air. She just jumps forward and cuts them mid-leap. Not much different than anything I've seen at the Olympics during a gymnastics floor routine. Forward leap into a roll.

And why the hell did she perform that little bit of acrobatics anyway?? Would it not have been just as effective to run between the two things instead of jump?? I mean it did not seem like they were all that much of a threat anyway?

This says it better than I ever could. :lol:

Spetsnaz.jpg

And what kind of walking erection thinkis it is a good idea to get " romantically " involved with such a woman anyway??? Are you INSANE!!! One wrong word at the wrong time and you could VERY easily be lunch, confetti, or Bar-B-Que! No thanks man, I will just stick with tavern wenches and moody rogue types.

Yeah, but your character is pretty bad him/herself. I bet he could take care of himself. :poke:

I give up. Fantasy must *always* adhere to Reality. As such, your dwarves and elves have to go - they are not, in fact, realistic.

Reality is better than fantasy anyway, because in reality i have to pay taxes and go to work instead of smashing in an orc skull with my mind.

I know that GameStop.com has some extra gear too, but I can't access the site from work.

Strangely Game Stop isn't even showing the Collector's Edition on their website. Just the normal version of the game for the 3 platforms.

I'm really starting to get torn about where I should get the game from. I'd planned on getting it from my local GameStop or Best Buy, simply to show a little support for them carrying PC games, but the more I think about it, the more I'm considering getting it from Impulse to get the DLC for free and save myself $7. But then for some reason I really want that metal case that the CE comes in and I'm not gonna get that with a digital download. *sigh* :unsure:

Is anyplace selling the CE anymore? I haven't seen it available on amazon for PC, or anywhere else for that matter. It just up and vanished off the market. I guess they sold out of their pre-allotted number of units? Which I don't think I've ever seen happen before... there is still new and unopened CE editions of fallout 3 floating around on shelves, and dragons age sells out before it ships?

Also, if any of you guys are fans of the KOTOR series or ME, it sounds like the voice over for the leader of the group in the Dragon Age movie is the same guy who voiced Carth Onasi in the KOTOR games and Kaidan in ME: Raphael Sbarge. I loved his performances in the KOTOR games so I'll be happy to have him tag along in DA too.

Yes, I know I'm turning into a total fanboy for this game. I've just been waiting 6 years or so for it, so to have it finally so close at hand is almost too much to bear. So please forgive me for replying to my own post. :lol:

Anyways, the more I've watched the movie, the more I'm believing that the commander character in the movie is supposed to represent your character from the game. The other 3 are all listed on the website's characters page, but he isn't. The fact that he's ordering everyone around in the movie also reflects your ability to issue orders to the NPCs during the game. So I wonder if Sbarge finally got a promotion in the voice acting department and is finally moving up from voicing the sidekick to doing the main character?

Is anyplace selling the CE anymore? I haven't seen it available on amazon for PC, or anywhere else for that matter. It just up and vanished off the market. I guess they sold out of their pre-allotted number of units? Which I don't think I've ever seen happen before... there is still new and unopened CE editions of fallout 3 floating around on shelves, and dragons age sells out before it ships?

I don't think that Amazon ever sold it directly. Last week there were 2 companies selling the CE through Amazon and both of them wanted $125 for it. Not sure how they expect anyone to pay that much for it when its only $65 at the store.

Best Buy still has it. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1218105182523

And Direct2Drive, Steam, and Impulse have the Deluxe Edition, which is the CE minus the metal case and map. You just download the soundtrack and other extras.

give up. Fantasy must *always* adhere to Reality.

Well I CAN believe in certain things. Other just don't make sense even when I TRY to accept it. I guess that is the problem, if effort is involved in the suspension of disbelief then that suspension is already broken.

Does it not even irk you in the slightest bit when in an action flick gun fight no one ever runs out of ammo or bothers to reload? Or that STorm Troopers NEVER seem to hit their targets?? Even from 20 yards away?

As such, your dwarves and elves have to go - they are not, in fact, realistic.

Well why not?? Not trying to pick a fight, I just think you have a good mind for this sort of conversation and I honestly enjoy having them with you guys.

There was in fact not very long ago an archeological discovery of a perfectly developed middle aged humaniod skeleton that would have only stood about 3 to 3 1/2 feet tall. And the only thing that Elves unrealistic is saying that they live for thousands of years, never age past late adolsecence, are ALL beautiful and supernaturally graceful and agile. Magic I can accept as long as it's character is at leats marginally sensible. IF ANYONE could do the things that wizards tend to do in games now, THEY WOULD RULE THE WORLD! Or desroy it utterly. Which of course tends to be the going theme for most fantasy fiction anyway, but the one caveat is that only another wizard of relative power could do anythign about it. Which in turn would suggest that any wizard who actually did manage to ascend power would probably go to great lenghts to insure no one else ever did. And very probably so would anyone else..... OK so yes it DOES all work pretty well in that way............... BUT!!! I STILL say that magic should be dangerous, difficult, and spectacular in equal degrees.

I STILL say that magic should be dangerous, difficult, and spectacular in equal degrees.
And the magic in that preview was spectacular. We have no idea how difficult it was to learn, simply because the caster makes it look easy the way Tony Hawk makes a quadruple Kickie Ollie faceplant or whatever look easy. Or the way you make sculpting orcs look easy. Practice, skill, and confidence = it looks easy, no matter hard it really is to do.

Does it not even irk you in the slightest bit when in an action flick gun fight no one ever runs out of ammo or bothers to reload? Or that STorm Troopers NEVER seem to hit their targets?? Even from 20 yards away?
Most movies these days have so many fast cuts that for all I know they reload after every shot, but the camera was on the bullet not the gun...

Storm Troopers, well, if they hit the movie would be over in about 3 minutes. I'll allow them to miss a lot in order to enjoy the film, rather than just see a you-tube length clip of Leia and the rebels being gunned down and Vader going back successful. Yes, it's more realistic if they hit, but it's more fantastic and cinematic if the heroes have a chance.

And the magic in that preview was spectacular

dangerous, difficult, and spectacular in equal degrees.

Or the way you make sculpting orcs look easy. Practice, skill, and confidence = it looks easy, no matter hard it really is to do.

Only if you are not really looking. Not tooting my own horn, but your analogy spurs the comment. In the vid, she seems to cast spells without a second's preparation or even concetration for anything other than dramatic effect. When she transforms into the spider thing she does it whilst in some wierd ( and yet again gravity defying, but I suppose if one of them has a ring of super duper acrobatics they certainly all could ) handspring! I certainly could not sculpt an orc whilst in mid air from a handspring forward gainer, or even whilst preparing to perform such an acrobatic feat.

Most movies these days have so many fast cuts that for all I know they reload after every shot, but the camera was on the bullet not the gun...

:poke: That is a trifle weak me thinks.

Well the point is that they NEVER hit! Not in any scene! :lol:

Sorry for absolutely derailing the htread... All this woofing aside I probably will still buy the game when it comes out and like it despite my quibbles.