Sign in to follow this  
Saint of Sinners

Unit review

I think its past we take a good look at some our favorite models. I'll start by talking about a few of the choices found in the Blade army list from WfS.

KDM Jaguar

Its a toss between the Jag and the 'Hawk 5 for best Workhorse CAV, but the more I use the Jag in various army builds the more it edges past the 'Hawk. The Jaguar sacrifices armor for speed and firepower. 250 points for a CAV with +6 against hard targets is well... just awesome, dude! Having no secondary weapon system is not much of a loss in this category. Until you get in too the more expensive models most secondary system are sub par any so no big loss there. Another thing I want to touch on is its stat degrade and it repairablity. The Jag has a slow degrade with no sudden drops while its PBGs have no degrade at all. This is backed by a strong repair system that starts at +6 and drops to only +4.

The good: Low cost, good speed and firepower, slow degrade, very repairable, open market

The Bad: average armor, short range, no secondary weapon system, ineffective against soft targets

The ugly: Upgrade with Rugged SA for increased survivability for 30 pts more. Adding reactive armor would increase the cost by third, so you would be better off saving the points for something else.

SyRam Talon OEM

The Talon is my favorite choice for electronic warfare. It doesn't have a bunch of wasted SAs sucking up points like the Panther (CFP is only useful in a section with lots of Fire support). SyRam models are known for their glassjaws as well as versatility. The Talon is a good example of both. Its EW systems can handle both defensive (ECM) and offensive (EST) duties equally well. Its two weapons systems are balanced between soft and hard capabilities. Like most of the Recon units, the Talon's primary weapons are only usefully at a Pink Floyd laser light show. Unlike other recon and most Fire support units its secondary IFM is geared towards harming hard targets. While a +3 against hard isn't that impressive but take into consideration that IFM damage isn't effected by jamming, only the target point. Of course without FRS it has a low chance of hitting its target point.

The good: versatile, useful SAs,

The Bad: glassjaw, slow speed for a Recon model

The Ugly: The Talon only has 4 DT so upgrading them isn't too expensive. Reactive armor is a good choice. For a fun surprise you could also upgrade it IFM with FRS/3 and piercing/3 for a 100pts. Making it an interesting Fire Support alternitive.

M-T Tsuiseki

Think of the Tsuiseki as a flying CAV. The Tsuiseki has been a terror since CAV1 and it latest incarnation hasn't changed that image. First lets talk about armor. Tsuiseki starts at an impressive DV of 13. Sadly, it drops big time. Like most of the Terran models the Tsuiseki suffers from a glassjaw, its DV drop by 3 to a 10, still not bad. From there its bottoms out at a 9. For weapon systems the Tsuiseki has good PBP splits out a +5 hurt against hard targets. Its main weapon is supported by a pair of DFMs with RAV 2 (4 against hard). Both weapon systems have a range band of 32. The down side is its slow for a gunship, with only a Mov of 10. Even with its Assault SA other gunship will fly circles around it. The beast also has one more DT then other most other gunship.

The good: Strong armor, great weapon systems, high survivability

THe Bad: sssloww

The Ugly: How can you make the meanest gunship better? Reactive armor... a DV of 14 is hard to beat. Orbital Insertion is also a good choice and can make up for its slow speed.

Nice posts...good points on all of them. I'll see about covering a few of my favorite Adonese models at some point and adding them.

Would be kinda neat if we built up a whole set of player reviews in this style...could be handy for new players.

Good review. I used some Jaguars accidentally with my Cougar models last game. Prolly why I did so well!!

Cougars aren't all that bad for their cost. They have a slow degrade like the Jaguar, but horrible repair. Its interesting to compare the Cougar to the Jaguar and look at the evolution the design.

Good review. I used some Jaguars accidentally with my Cougar models last game. Prolly why I did so well!!

Cougars aren't all that bad for their cost. They have a slow degrade like the Jaguar, but horrible repair. Its interesting to compare the Cougar to the Jaguar and look at the evolution the design.

As I see it, the biggest problem with the Cougar is in comparison to other models; its own stats as you say, aren't that bad. The problem is, for 50 extra points, you get a Jaguar or a Starhawk V; the improvements you get for those 50 points are worth it in basically all cases.