Spike

Spike's Olde Worlde OOC

187 posts in this topic

I'm wanting to run an original-edition D&D style game here possibly in January if there are enough people (3 at least) to make it interesting and viable.

My thoughts are to keep it very simple..no bibliography of world-books to read to make sense of the setting.. no game rules that read like the contract you signed when you were in that Borat movie... no online spreadsheets or dice-rollers or interactive gadgets required to play... and no six-page character sheets that take seven hours to generate in order to play a character that lives three minutes.

The Swords & Wizardry rules are free to download (yes, free and LEGAL to download) and can be found here >> http://www.swordsandwizardry.com/?page_id=18 << right at the top of the page. Just below that you'll find lots of other free stuff like character sheets too if you want them. The book actually encourages house-rules..which I will likely be doing a bit of.

You'll see there's not much diversity to pick from in the way of character race and class. You got your elf magic user, your human , your dwarf, your fighter, and your cleric. There's fan-submitted house-rules on plenty of other stuff though..and if it doesn't exist we can always make it up within reason and within the spirit of Keep-it-simple and game-balance and fun-nessity.

Yes, old-style characters at 1st level are (as Orcsoul put it) glass cannons. They can fight, but they can get killed real quick..and ten out of ten players agree getting killed is no fun. In order to keep the players in the game without giving characters a free ride, I will be using the reincarnation system. Each PC can buy a 0-level hireling or three..and if something happens to the main character, the player can pick their favourite hireling to promote to 1st level PC..and if the deceased did not get swallowed by the monster the new character inherits the dead PC's stuff...including swag.

As for what the adventure will involve... it's a dungeon crawl. No big plot twist..no three-year campaign here..just killing stuff and getting rich and trying not to be eaten or fall down a pit trap. You can roleplay as much or as little as you like.

I will tell you up front I an a rookie dungeonmaster, so this will be a learning experience all around. It's strictly for fun. I'm not asking for any fancy-schmancy nine paragraph literary masterpiece posts or that antybody learn elven. I only ask that if you join the game, you check in at least every other day to see what's happening. If you can't be here for every turn I understand. Stuff happens. I'll do my best to pick an action that will make sense for your character and not get anybody killed. By the same token, I will do my best to keep the game moving along for the players. If all goes well, this one will stick around a while.

And if all goes REAL well and some of you like the system and like how I run a game, who knows ... we might end up leaving the dungeon and going on a li'l campaign into ..I dunno.. orc country?

So...my thoughts are to start this one up proper sometime right after the New Year if enough people show interest. Take your time and look over the rules first and chime in if you wanna go.

Wow..three already!

Oh..and if anybody out there's sitting on the fence and is worried there's a cut-off point for joining in, don't worry. I think I can find a way to get a late-comer into the action too.

I guess I better get going with my more-or-less random generated dungeon-o-doooom...mwahahaha!

Dibs on the thief! *shifty eyes*

(Linked PDF below the rules)

Neat.. just to clear it up, what sources are you accepting non-standard character types from? BTBG blog and official page stuff only? Or are there other resources about that are acceptable?

There's a few Core Rule resources by members of the S&W forum ( > http://www.swordsandwizardry.com/forum/index.php < ) and a few out there on some of the blogs. There's probably a few out there I've not yet seen, but I'm willing to give any of them a look..so unless there's something really whacked about an outside resource, I'll do my best to fit it in. Otherwise I'm starting with the basic Core Rules.

I might be interested, if you need anther player, Spike.

I'd play big strong but smart as a dull axe blade fighter.

Steve's game at RCON was my favorite time at RCON this year, so it would nice to play again in that system.

Hellyeah there's room! If it ever starts looking like there's too many of ya, I can always call up an extra legion of orcs or two.

IIRC it's a 976 call with a $1.99 per minute charge but... D'OH I told too much again, didn't I.

Anyhoo, glad to have ya, Randy.

PECOS JACK RIDES AGAIN!

or not

Got room for a gnome? Do gnomes exist in this world? I am extremely tired and not right in the head, currently.....soooo I will check out these rules later, but consider this a confirmation of interest. If thats cool.

since S&S is based on the old D&D rules (red box), gnomes only existed as monsters. I'm sure, Spike can come up with something, if not I may have rules somewhere in my house for gnome PCs. OD&D was my favorite system to play, so I had all sorts of things for the game.

Heck I might have a mini picked out for my character, ha ha!!

I think I could scrape up a character if you want. Work keeps me from playing at the table as much as I would like, and I cut my teeth on the red box. Maybe I will recreate my very first D&D character, generated during that very cold snowed in December camp trip with the Scouts 25 odd years ago. Micah, the dwarf. He went by Mike. Holla! for the creative naming, huh :lol:

Okeydokey..it's after the new year and time to get ready for the game.

LIke I said, I'm really rookie at this so bear with me.

First on the agenda would be making the characters. (Y'all have your S&W Core Rules PDFs downloaded, right?)

Starting with the six main abilities, I'd like you all to be able to have a bit of freedom with your numbers so here's how we'll do it. Roll 3d6 and write down the number. Repeat this five more times. Those are going to be your six ability scores. Assign them to whichever abilitie you want in order to make the kind of character you want. (Those of you who are wanting to try out some of the house-rules character classes get with me about how to tweak abilities)

Be sure to look at the book to see what is affected by the various abilities as you assign your scores. Also be sure to look over the various character classes available to see what sorts of abilities are required to fill that particular role.

As for race..I'm willing to work with you guys if you want to play something other than the three suggested races. I may have to draw the line at drow, weres, and demon-born stuff though.

Alignment? ...psh..don't worry about it. We're going on a dungeoncrawl, not challenging the gods and goddesses. Besides, characters, like people, never willingly admit they are evil or lawful. They just are,and it's up to the rest of us (including the gods and goddesses and game referees) to sort 'em out.

Your starting gold is 3d6 multiplied by 10. There's a good bit of stuff in the book to pick from, so knock yerselves out. But for the sake of common-sense, we will pretend that you already own the clothes on your back and the ubiquitous backpack. If there's something you'd like to have and it's not in the list, we'll work out whether it exists and how much it'll cost.

Armor Class will be ascending. On this point I will not budge. Working with negative numbers in Descending AC does my head in.

Believe me, the rest of the character details are pretty easy to fill in. We'll worry about XP bonuses and hirelings as the game moves along.

Here's a quick little form for use on this forum with all the stuff I'll need about your character.

Name _________

Race _____

Class _____

STR ___

WIS ___

INT ___

CON ___

DEX ___

CHA ___

Starting gold ____

Equipment - listed by item including weight

Remaining gold after buying equipment ____

Spells (if applicable) listed including spell level

As for the world we'll be playing in, it's just your average fantasy middle-ages type setting with nimble goodygood elves, surly burly dwarves, priests and temples, peasants, knights and kings, plagues, xenophobia, guys with lutes, and ubiquitous orcs. (BTW orcs are Chaotic Nuisance aligned..so don't poke 'em). Beyond that, don't be surprised if you come across the occasional pun, silly cultural reference, or really strange NPC. In my world, whimsy is inevitable.

You can very well die in a dungeon. You can also know when you're outmatched and run like hell. If you are wounded, you can rely on magic or rely on some innate ability to bind wounds. In my world there is also luck and merciful deities that may or may not help you out of a bind.

So get your characters ready. I'm still working out just what all you'll find in that dungeon. We'll probably start the game off with the PCs all together in some town or other pre-equipped and ready to roll. So no worries about picking up any wilderness-travelling gear or buying a horse. Send character forms filled out to me by PM on this forum. As soon as the PCs are ready, I'll ask Kit for a game topic in The Playing forum.