Spike

Spike's Olde Worlde OOC

Randy, a quick house rule you should be aware of... in MY olde-worlde seting, Dwarves have darkvision just the same as the S&W Elves.

Hmmm...borrowing from one of LordERL's ideas, I may eventually create a game wiki or something similar if it seems like it'll help keep house-rulings and other stuff easy to look up.

Hope we find some spoils early on...I barely have enough gold to pay one day...

Ugh, yeah, I just realized I added wrong and overspent on my equipment, so I need to redo my list and see if I can afford one at all.

:wacko:

I got the gold but hey a CHA of 4 means I GET 1!!!! HA HA HA

revised equipment list for Sister Solace;

backpack 0

2 candles 2c

chalk 5c

flint/steel 1g

garlic 1 s

silver holy symbol 25g

holy water 25g

2 oil 2s

1 dried ration 1g

whistle 5s

waterskin 1s

2 sm sacks 2g

4 torches 4c

knife 2g

heavy mace 10g

ring mail 30g

remaining cash: 13g, 4s, 9c

I am hiring #2 and #4, Leo and Morath.

Thanks for the update list, Inarah.

Some early thoughts on dice rolling (though I'm willing to adapt to what works best for all the players)

Initiative - Since in S&W, initiative order isn't based on individual players but on whether the monsters go first or the adventurers and their party go first, I'll roll INIT for both..which will hopefully move the game along a little quicker.

PC attacks, actively checking for traps or hidden doors, or casting spells will be for you guys to roll. If you're not sure what kind of die to roll, just shoot me a quick PM or ask here. When you roll an attack, go ahead and put in your damage roll.

Saves? - I'll generally ask you guys to roll your own. Seems pretty heavy-handed to let my dice decide your fate on a single roll like that. (Okay I'll say it now for the record, my pink dice are in conspiracy against me 80% of the time and for the other 20% they just roll badly to keep in practice for the eminent coup)

As for random monsters, being caught by surprise (or catching the monster by surprise) or for doing stuff like listening (I think they call it something like Passive Perception nowadays), I'll roll the dice and let you know if anything noteworthy is seen/found/heard.

Binding wounds - It's worked for my F2F group pretty well...immediately after a combat (before you even loot the room) each PC gets one chance to bind wounds on one other PC or yourself. Roll a d4 to see how much HP is recovered. Clerics like Solace get a +1 to that number. This only repairs wounds taken in that prior combat. (I'll check to see if that houserule has since been added to the S&W book, which is in its 3rd editing now)

Whatever works for you, works for me.

How do you want dice rolling? honor format ::): or web-rolling <_< ?

Also are we starting at 1st or 2nd level?

If 2nd, I need to adjust.

I want everybody at 1st except Solace the cleric..for the simple reason that Clerics don't get any spells at 1st level and you guys will need all the Cure spells she can help you with.

As for dice..whichever you prefer, real dice or web roller. I use a little of both, depending on how motivated I am to go get the dice box. :D

NP on the cleric (heals are good!! says the dwarven fighter)

gotcha, I usually use the d20.org for my dice rolls these days. It's what I used to roll up this character & the dice rolls I pummel your character & others in my pbp games on here :devil:

Oops sorry Jay..forgot to tell you up front..but you can put all the 1st level spells in your book. You still only can cast one per day..so you should at least get to have a bunch to pick from.

There'll be no saving poor Kane the first time he picks Brag's pocket only to discover that's 'NOT a pocket, ye daft hooman!'

I'll work up a nice graphic representation of who is where in marching order for us this afternoon.

(Jay)

Since I did the same for Inarah's cleric, I'm giving Chu-toi a boost up to 2nd level so he can take advantage of his magical abilities if he so chooses.

That way Chu will have one level of Fighting-man and one level of Magic user...and I'm giving him a spellbook for free.

Just remember that each day you can choose which class to be, and if you choose to be the Magic user you'll have to either stow your armour or let one of your hirelings carry (or wear it) for the day so you can cast spells.

Since the game is already in progress, you'll be a fighter until this in-game day ends.

Also, I'll keep track of your Fighter XP and Mage XP separately so you can advance in each when the time comes.

(All players)

I promise a post is coming. I had to be certain I was handling certain details correctly before I let you guys move onward.

Also, I'll be updating each of your XPs at the end of each encounter. Though the XP is shared equally, some of you advance at lower XP levels than others. These older styled editions are quirky that way.

Keep in mind also that treasures can be cashed out for more XP IF you somehow get out of the dungeon to sell your swag and then for SOME crazy reason want to then go back down there again. I'm tracking who is keeping what loot in addition to adding the new items to your sheets as you pick it up.

Okay everybody..I got the post done...and it would appear that maybe just maybe we might be about to have our first combat.

Yeah..I'm nervous too. *noobiejitters*

Of course we haven't actually confirmed that there's anything to attack, but once that happens, here's how I'm thinking to make combat work the most smoothly and quickly.

I'll take care of the initiative roll. It's not that I don't trust you guys. I just want to save as much time as possible. In S&W, Init means either the party goes first, or the monster(s) go first. And then there's the added variable that either one might get the surprise jump on the other. I'll let you all know what happens there, and then we'll start the combat proper.

Simply include in your post more or less what you're trying to do. "I swing at the monster on the left with my axe" or "I cast Sleep on the rat swarm", or "I hold my Hold Portal spell until everybody in our party is safely out of the room." Then somewhere at the bottom of your post, show your dice results.

I kind of like this format below.

To hit troll with battle axe; roll=15, +2 bonuses=17, damage roll=6, +2 bonuses=8

Magic users, I know the rules say you should declare spells before Initiative is rolled, but for the sake of PbP expediency, I'll let you declare spells at the start of your turn.

Archers, (that means you too, Shayla), remember your rate of fire is 2 arrows per turn. Mind you this is only for regular bows, not crossbows or other missile weapons like daggers and hand-axes.

Melee fighters, know your weapons. Some can be wielded two-handed, giving you special bonuses.

And don't forget your hirelings. They can fight too, though not very well. If you want them to fight, defend themselves, or save themselves and run away, post their actions too.