Sign in to follow this  
HamishMcGreigh

Iron Painting

What's the story for this one? The green and red baddie, the two henchmen, the paint on the floor? It's very cool, it makes me want to know more about what's going on! :)

Yeah, a little write-up wouldn't hurt. But it's not too hard to guess most of what's going on - the guy with the big paintbrush is the villain & has some sort of painty powers that he's used to keep the hostages pinned in the corner and to vandalize some of the artwork (guess he's not there to steal the paintings?). I am guessing he also has some green paint which he used to ruin the other vandalized painting; just not sure what's up with the 2 painted henchdudes... Must be using the paint to stat-buff them, or maybe to mind-control them or something? It'd be fun to read about the details, as teh bunneh mentioned.

The bursting floor does look pretty cool; the only thing about it that I could see improving would be to have used transparent pins to hold up the pieces (& the hero), but painting the pins (or at least the upper parts of them) the colour of the floor might also help camouflage them. But that's just a minor nitpick - this is a really cool diorama overall, IMO. Did you paint the tiny masterpieces on the walls yourself?

Kang

The flavor text for my entry...

Stay where you are, Strong-Man! I, Art Moderne, caught your little friends here on a field trip to the museum while I was "improving" the work of these hacks. They dared to question the decisions of the greatest art critic of the century so I've used my acidic acrylics to paint them into a corner!

Soon the floor beneath them will give way, but not before they witness your doom and the destruction of these so-called "Masterworks" at the hands of me and my PAINTMINIONS!!!!!

Minis used were:

50090: Townsfolk: Jock, Chick, Nerd

50027: Captain Griffon, Superhero

50056: Carmine Defazio, Mob Hitman

50012: Jack the Ripper

The bursting floor and Captain Griffon are where this whole thing started. I had one of those GW basing kits that came with some mini slate chunks and I thought they would look perfect for busting concrete, though my first impulse was to have someone being hurled into a sidewalk, shattering it, and the hero hovering over them. When I went to Hobbytown to pick up the hero, his villain, and his damsel in distress, the villain I wanted was gone, I couldn't find a suitable damsel, all the minis I used were on sale, and the whole diorama sprang fully formed into my mind. I got everything in the diorama for just twenty five bucks, including the plasticard.

Captain Griffon/Strong-Man is clearly squaring off with someone in that stance and he reminded me of a panel in Alex Ross's Kingdom Come comic where Superman, having flown through the planet's core to get across the world because it was quicker than flying around, busts up through the floor of the Batcave with all these chunks of stone and blobs of magma flying out as shrapnel. I just clipped his base and bent his feet down to make it look like he's flying and it worked almost perfectly. I initially tried translucent rods, but they frosted over when I hit the whole thing with Matte so I just painted them a neutral grey.

Originally I was going to paint green and magenta footsteps and puddles all around the floor to show the path of the "PaintMinions" as they walked around the museum and Art's paintbrush and smears were going to be rainbow colored, but I ran out of time to keep embellishing my entry. The marks on the masterworks are smears of their own "Anamorphic Acrylics" and not Moderne's much more dangerous "Acidic Acrylics", though their Paintball Tommyguns are loaded with acidic acrylic paintballs.

Did I paint the art reproductions? Yes: If by "Paint" you mean "Find a bunch of classic art online and then print them off on my roommates professional printshop quality color laserjet and glue them to little plasticard picture frames." I did paint on the smears, though! :lol: