Spike

Spike's Olde Worlde RPG

358 posts in this topic

(Kane)

 

The serving wench acts quickly, taking the long route back to the kitchen with an armload of empty mugs so that she might squish the multilegged menace with some discretion.

 

"Praps ye'd care fer a mug o' beer?", she asks innocently as she stamps her foot on the scurrying bug, wounding it slightly. "...or some onion pie..", she continues, bringing her other foot down on the cockroach as it runs in circles around the table leg. "...OR some corn-nuts maybe?", she adds, this time stamping your foot.

 

"Ohmigods fergive me goodsir I din't mean'ter. Seems ye ain't got no gold an' now ye got broken toes on me own no-good account. I'll buy ye yer drinks."

 

She grinds her heel into the dying bug, chattering noisily to mask the sound of it. "A fine pair of goblinstompers ye got there if ye don't mind me sayin' so. Some mighty nice glad-rags yer sportin' too..wot wif you bein' pennyless an' all. Ye should 'ave a word wif th'young missus there or the gent at yonder table.." She points toward Taryn and Solace. "They'll be needin a.... everwhatsit you do fer yer share o' the gold."

 

After taking your order (or not, if you're indeed a man of timid appetite), the serving wench resumes her usual schtick of flitting around and annoying the other customers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wincing as a clog heel crushes his toes that were comfortably wrapped inside his designer boots, and then wincing again at the scuff marks on his boots Kane forces out a smile through a clenched jaw.

 

"No, thank you"

 

He glances in the direction of the mentioned table and attempts to be secretive by staring right at them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing the ruckus with the waitress, Brag looks past the incident, & see the 2 at the bar, "hmmm, looks like a anther Lord "no show", maybe those two might have something instead" he thinks to himself, noticing that they are equipped to do more then just weed out rats or other vermin.

 

Planting his feet on the ground, Brag moosies on over to the two at the bar.

 

"What's up?" he says as he reaches the bar.

 

"I take it your not here for the daily special?" he says with a smirk on his bearded face.

 

(not sure what everyone's race is just yet, but if anyone is a elf, Brag kinda ignores that person, speaking either to a human or halfling instead.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
<_< Chu listens in on the conversations without being obvious about it. He waits for the waitress to pass by and asks for some of the cheese. "Ummm Cheese. It's not just a weapon any more!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(Brag)

 

The bartender takes note of your arrival and greets you.

 

"What'll it be? Stout?"

 

Seeing that you are eager to get down to business, she obliges you with a quick explanation.

 

"It's like this every first of every month. They come here for the big prize. This is the first tavern they pass when they come through the city gates so they all end up here. Then they all follow that one-armed man to the old townhouse so the people can wave to them and shout hoo-rah and begin making their bets."

 

The bartender will serve you whatever you ask for..within reason and within the constraints of local law and public decency.

 

 

(Chu-toi)

 

Your ears hear every single word almost effortlessly. The waitress brings you some bleu cheese. Whether or not it was meant to be bleu is only known to the cook. At least it's not hairy..yet.

 

 

 

 

(All PCs)

 

On the other end of the room for the past few minutes, a steady stream of newcomers has been pouring in. A quick look would tell you there's somewhere around two-dozen men gathered. A less quick look would reveal that all appear to have adventuring gear on. A long and obvious stare would reveal that almost all are wearing leather armour and nearly half are armed with only an axe. One that particularly stands out in the crowd is a very thin-looking individual in bright green robes carrying only a simple staff. Another person of note is a red-haired young woman in leather armour and baggy mens' trousers. She is the only archer of the lot.

 

 

================

 

 

(OOC for all players)

 

Each of you get a maximum of 4 hirelings based on your

Charisma scores. I randomly generated a group of 23 NPCs, most of which are pretty ordinary folks, but there are a few better-than-average people in the mix. I will post a more precise list of what's there to pick from in the OOC thread Then you all can either hand-pick the ones you want (up to your maximum) or just let me randomly pick them for you. First-come, first-serve. The one-armed man, however, is not for hire.

 

Once you have picked your hirelings, if any, they will become your secondary characters. They will still only have NPC stats, but you (the players) decide their actions, where they go and what they say. Know however that if you mistreat them or keep putting them in danger, they might just up and leave you. Happy hirelings, on the other hand, can on rare occasions be amazingly heroic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(All PCs)

 

Once it seems that everybody who should be there is there, and once there has been sufficient discussion for even the worst eavesdropper to figure out what the hubbub is about, the one-armed man commences to brokering.

 

"Take it from me, Jonah Redshirt, one who knows! Lord Arbitrary's dungeon is no place for amateurs. Very few have ever returned, and though they have all spoke of vast amounts of treasure still waiting to be plundered, even fewer have gone back a second time. I, on the other hand.."

 

Stifled laughter can be heard among the group of potential hirelings.

 

".....I, in contrast to the previous statement, would gladly join you all and go back down there, but as you see my sword-carrying days are over. But being the civic-minded man I am, I decided to help these poor underachievers here take their first steps toward becoming heroes....for a small fee."

 

For the next half-hour, everybody mixes, mingles, argues and haggles; and not long thereafter everything begins to fall more or less into order.

 

"Minimum wages for a day of dungeon-plundering is one gold piece, but since this day is already halfway over, five slivers per person will easily suffice.", Jonah announces over the din.

 

(All PCs deduct 5 sp per personal hireling from your funds. If you don't have enough, the bartender might float you a loan if you ask real nice-like.)

 

Once money begins changing hands, an observant eye will notice that every single hireling then gives part of their half-day wages to Mr. Redshirt.

 

The sharply-dressed human who calls himself Kane chooses a mace-wielding man called Vance, and two unarmoured individuals who introduce themselves as Kage and Krrflmp. Krrflmp's bright green robes must've made a suitable impression on his new employer.

 

Taryn and his new hirelings make their introductions. The axe-toting man in chain armour's name is Ivan. George and Hugh are both wearing leather armour and carrying swords. Tim is also in leather armour, but has a spear. Tim lets Taryn know almost right away that he is good at drawing maps.

 

The lady Solace and her three new followers gather around one of the tables. One stands out from the others in that he is wearing ring mail. He is armed with an axe. The other three are in leather armour. One has an axe, another a spear, and the third a mace.

 

Chu-toi the elf and Brag the dwarf have yet to make their choices. Jonah quietly apologizes to both for the lack of racial diversity among this particular batch of hirelings and admits it was he who wrangled the bartender in order that The Epicurean Orc might claim at least a grain of truth in advertising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Stout? Are ye makin fun of me orc?" Brag says with a serious look on his face as he reaches into a pouch to produce a smoking pipe.

 

Before the orc can respond Brag says "Ah, just BSin yah, greenskin. A dark beer if you got any, if not then a beer will work."

 

 

"Well now, meat-shields!!" Brag says to the gathered group. "Ah come on I'd never do that to yah." he says with a big grin on his face.

 

"Hmmm since I carry no range weapon, I offer my cash to you, (he points to a short hair girl with boyish features wielding a longbow). What is your name?"

 

The young human steps forward & says "Shayla Sanders."

 

"Alrighty then" he says as he hands over 5 sps & then adds 2 gold pieces for the next 2 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Well, it might be useful to have a mapmaker along! Ivan, as the best equipped you shall be my second. Georg and Hugh, you shall be general men-at-arms and torchbearers; and should we need a mapmaker Tim can make use of his talents."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once it seems that the party is of adequate size to face Lord Arbitrary's dungeon, Jonah Redshirt gathers up the entire procession of twenty-one dungeoneers and hirelings and leads them through the streets of the fair city of Retrograd. There is much cheering, jeering and wagers being placed as the parade makes its way to its destination. At journey's end is the town-house of Lord Arbitrary, a seemingly inconspicuous but well maintained little three-story dwelling surrounded by a neighborhood of rickety empty houses with their windows boarded shut. A large black cumulonimbus hovers over the house..but it does not attack...yet.

 

Inside, it is just another ordinary pseudo-middle-ages wealthy man's in-town getaway one might use to escape a nagging wife or keep up a mistress or three. However the door leading from the kitchen to the cellar below tells a different story. It is barred, chained, and a sign warns any trespassers that the area they are about to enter is protected by the magical runes "A", "D", and "T".

 

(OOC to All PCs)

 

So..you're about to enter the stairs leading to the dungeon.

 

Now is the time to make some choices.

 

- In what order do you all want to march?

 

- Who will be carrying torches and who will be readying weapons?

 

- Chu-toi, are you a Magic User or Fighter today. (Being an elf lets you pick one or the other every day

 

Solace (and Chu too, if you're not a Fighter today), what spells have you chosen for today.

 

- Does anybody have any other things they need to do? If there is a piece of gear you realize you should've bought, chances are Jonah Redshirt will be able to find a loaner for you amidst the vast piles of salvaged gear from those who have tried the dungeon before you..... for a small fee.

 

(In-character to all PCs)

 

Jonah looks the group over and says, "I've got a ten-foot pole...if anybody wants it.." He pauses, blushes, and adds, "... begging the young lady's pardon."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll go first & I'll have my battle axe & shield out ready to smash whatever comes my way.

 

Shayln will have her bow out ready to fire if needed (not sure where we are going to put hirelings in the line up)

 

In response to Jonah telling us about the pole, Brags says to him "& here I don't have a halfling to stick on the end of it............."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sister Solace takes the two young men aside and leads them in a brief prayer asking the goddess to keep them all safe, or grant them a swift death. Their duty, once they pass below, is to protect her so that she can heal the wounded. (She has memorised two cure light wounds spells) They have each been paid 2 gold coins for their day of service.

 

Glancing around the dank basement at the piles of discarded belongings Solace notes a leather breastplate with deep gouges across it, and a wooden shield that seems to have been set on fire at some point, and there, a backpack stained with what can only be blood. "What was it you said was down there? " she asks.

 

She will prefer to stay in the back of the group, so she can move up to tend the wounded when required. She readies a torch to carry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll take second, with Ivan close by. The other three hirelings will hang to the back/middle, with Tim mapping if it appears necessary. For now, Taryn will leave both hands free for his sword.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(All PCs)

 

As you all make your preparations, Mr.Redshirt uses various keys and a magical scroll to unlock the door leading down. Fortunately, the stone stairway is wide enough to allow you all to move two abreast.

 

It is dark, and a little dank-smelling in there, but you'll probably get used to it in a day or two...if you last that long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I peer into the passageway, any peculiar about the stonework? Stairs? You know all those preemptive strike kinda things to watch out for ::):

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's nothing about these stairs or the walls that would not expect in any typical catacombs. The walls are fairly good stonework...for humans, that is. Dark grey stones fairly squarely-cut and no big cracks in between the stones. Any dwarf old enough to have his own beard could do better, but you can be confident the place won't collapse on you.

 

If you care to have a look from the top of the stairs all the way down, you would see a straight stairway descending at a 45-degree angle about 20 feet down, but can't tell much about what's beyond that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now