Spike

Spike's Olde Worlde RPG

358 posts in this topic

[chu is a fighter today since he has no spells in his spellbook]

[chu will always be watching for anything that might be a spell component]

 

I'll go in the second row. My bow at the ready.

[Chu has prepared a holster so he can quickly draw and fire the bleu cheese he picked up at the tavern.]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(All PCs)

 

Following a bit of last-minute jostling around, the band of 19 intrepid adventurers form a double-file line and are ready to descend.

 

Brag eagerly takes the front position, and Shayla takes her place to his right with bow ready.

 

Kane quickly falls in behind Brag, perhaps looking for an easy pocket to pick. Chu-toi takes his position next to Kane, perhaps to keep an eye on the roguish man. Chu has his bow readied also.

 

Taryn tries to get closer to the front, but Kane runs in behind Brag first. Taryn and Ivan end up side-by-side in the third rank. Taryn has his sword in hand, while Ivan makes ready with his axe.

 

Kage and Vance follow behind Taryn and Ivan. Kage, armed only with his dagger, offers to carry a torch. Vance readies his mace

 

Tim takes his place in the fifth row so that he may focus on his mapping instead of on fighting. George accompanies him with sword drawn.

 

Solace positions herself out of harms way in the fifth row. The robed Krrflmp moves to her side, also seeming to avoid harm's way.

 

Leo and Morath follow after their lady as per her instructions. Leo has his axe ready. Morath carries spear in one hand and torch in the other.

 

Hugh with his sword brings up the eighth row with Chu-toi's mace-wielding hireling at his side.

 

Chu-toi's other three hirelings bring up the rear. The two spearmen form the eighth row, and the axeman, also bearing a torch, keeps watch for any menaces that might attack the party from behind.

 

 

At long last you all enter the dungeon. The stairs descend northward into a large room which is roughly twenty feet square. The only other apparent way out of the room is through a stout wooden door on the eastern wall about five feet from the southeast corner.

 

The floor of the room is littered with garbage. Several mundane rats scurry about a heap of trash in the northwest corner. Something smells like really rotten cheese, and it isn't coming from Chu-toi either.

 

(Chu, Brag and Kane)

 

You hear the sound of a heavy door closing behind you. The axeman to the rear of the party confirms your thoughts when he informs the party that the door at the top of the stairs has been closed behind you.

 

(OOC to all players)

 

For the sake of those of you who wish to map along, just about everything is in five-foot squares. Hallways are 5' wide unless otherwise stated, and ceilings are 8' unless otherwise stated.

 

Also I've started a game-reference blog here >> http://spikesworlde.blogspot.com/. I'll update more tomorrow night including character sheets, a section for tracking treasures and monsters killed, and maybe even the occasional map courtesy of Tim the Cartographer. (no relation to Tim the Enchanter)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And so it begins, Taryn thinks to himself. Out loud, he complains, "What's that smell? I can hardly breathe in here!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I am certain we will not like it when we find out, " Solace answers Taryn's question. She looks around the room, thinking it is much better than expected, after some of the descriptions she heard in her Sewer Vermin 101 classes at the abbey. After a few moments of shuffling around, she strains to see what is happening at the front of the group, such as it is. "Who is up for opening that door there?" she asks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Smell? And here I thought it was coming from Bragg..." Kane makes a face as he looks over his shoulder, and seeing a cobweb, daintily plucks it off his clothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(Solace)

 

In your shuffling about, you notice that most of the garbage is household-type trash such as broken crockery, kitchen refuse and lots of crumpled paper. You also come across a wooden shield laying at the edge of one of the mounds of garbage. It seems to still have plenty of use left in it. Do you wish to further investigate the trash heap?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(Solace)

 

In your shuffling about, you notice that most of the garbage is household-type trash such as broken crockery, kitchen refuse and lots of crumpled paper. You also come across a wooden shield laying at the edge of one of the mounds of garbage. It seems to still have plenty of use left in it. Do you wish to further investigate the trash heap?

 

If nobody else beats him to it Chu will examine the trash pile carefully, pushing things around with the end of his bow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Solace will use her boot to flip the edge of the shield up and over, hoping nothing too nasty comes scuttling out (her mace held ready to squash anything larger than a rat). If the shield is sturdy she will pick it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
And so it begins, Taryn thinks to himself. Out loud, he complains, "What's that smell? I can hardly breathe in here!"

 

 

"he he, sorry my bad." Brag says with a smile to Kane ::D:

 

Is there any design on the shield, can I tell the quality of the shield, ie non-humanoid, elven, dwarven, human made?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(Brag)

 

The shield is an ordinary wooden sheild, though in good condition. There are no decorations of any kind.

 

(Chu and Solace)

 

In your poking around, you both simultaneously turn up what seems to be some other poor adventurer's abandoned gear. There is a spear of average quality (undecorated, like the shield), a hooded lantern, and a pack containing seven gold coins, an empty glass whiskey flask, two candles, and a small bottle clearly labeled 'Potion of Healing'. The bottle is still full.

 

Does anybody else care to search or make any other checks?

 

(OOC to all players)

 

A standard healing potion cures 1d8+1 damage. But unlike with more recent RPGs, a potion in my world can be taken in half-doses, but with a small penalty. A half-dose of Healing Potion will cure 1d4 damage (You lose that extra +1)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Well that one didn't get far..." Taryn is on his guard, in case the reason for the previous adventurer's death remains in the room.

 

Taryn decides to look at some of the crumpled paper about the room, wondering if it might have anything interesting or useful written on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(Taryn)

 

The bits of paper you look at seem to have little to do with dungeoneering. In fact you find a receipt for the services of a local wheelwright, a grocery list, and one torn half of a notice from Ye Olde Towne Rubbish Removers regarding overdue payments. Now you know where Lord Arbitrary has been dumping his trash.

 

Neither you nor Brag nor Chu-toi stumble across any skeletal remains of the adventurer to whom the gear belonged,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After looking over the contents of the pack, Solace hands it to Chu. "Why don't you hold onto that for now, and," she tucks the potion into a handy pocket, "I'll hold onto this in case we need it."

 

Handing her torch to one of her hirelings she hefts the shield, brushes off a bit of debris clinging to it, and prepares to move on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chu Toi looks carefully for any signs of where the previous adventurer went... [i rolled 16]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"good idea on keeping that note, never know when that might come in handy" Brag says to Chu-Toi.

 

I take the lantern, if no one objects. Just need oil now, Brag thinks to himself.

 

What is beyond the pile of trash? Passageways? Doors? BIG red dragons with pointed teeth? ::):

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now