Spike

Spike's Olde Worlde RPG

358 posts in this topic

From the seemingly meek man who had up to now been overlooked comes a string of strange yappings and snarlings that can only be the language of the gnolls.

 

One can almost hear the big sword-wielding leader of the gnolls respond with a "Huh?"

 

Much to Taryn's surprise, as well as to the surprise and confusion of the two smaller gnolls, the big one lowers his weapon and lets it clatter to the floor.

 

(Paraphin)

 

You now have a pet gnoll.

 

(Taryn)

 

There seems to be much confusion. The other two gnolls are still there, but do not attack this round. It seems the big guy did the majority of the thinking for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Paraphin, can you get the big one to lead them all away? Preferably to somewhere with other monsters?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Hello my excellent friend!" Paraphin greets the big gnoll. "We were hoping to have some guides through this place, as we help out your friends and attack your foes. Hopefully you will help me persuade your two friends here that I will be an excellent employer, paying them lots of money and food in exchange for their assistance. If it isn't too much trouble."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(Paraphin)

 

The big guy seems very eager to convince his two flunkies the validity of your plan, and begins negotiating with them in gnollish. You are able to understand most of what they are saying, and from what you gather, one is perfectly willing to do whatever his leader asks, but the other thinks the big gnoll is (in his own vernacular) 'being hozed'.

 

(All other PCs)

 

Unless you also speak gnoll, you really don't know much of what's going on except what your eyes tell you. You all get the impression that there is a disagreement among the gnolls, and that the big guy no longer wants to fight you.

 

/ SO BEGINS ANOTHER ROUND /

 

The good adventurers still have initiative. What do you do now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not quite sure what is happening ahead, but seeing that there is no fighting, and thus no need of her services, Solace turns her attention to the newly kicked in door and the small room. Does something glitter in the corner?

 

"Leo, bring that torch," she says from the doorway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chu Toi offers the argumentative gnoll cheese. "No one can withstand the power of cheese!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I explain to the people around me what's going on, and suggest that we need to make sure the arguing gnoll doesn't escape. Maybe that's by cutting him off, or maybe it's by feathering him with arrows if he turns his back. If he turns his back to leave, several archers firing from behind with a ROF of 2 ought to be pretty good at stopping him from getting away. I also mention that there might be more gnolls down those two openings we can see up north.

 

That probably takes up my round, and I don't have much to do until we deal with the arguing gnoll anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not speaking gnoll & only knowing a good gnoll is a dead gnoll, & seeing the opportunity that the gnolls aren't attacking back, Brag rushes the group & swings his battle axe into the gut of the disagreeing gnoll.

 

(Attack 1d20+1.15+1 = 16 Damage 1d8+1.7+1 = 8)

 

"Stinkin creatures!"

 

"Wait!!" Shaylyn says "I speak.....Ah Crap" the young archer says to the charging dwarf. Not wanting to hit the dwarf, she lowers her bow & waits to see what happens next.

 

*thought it would be interesting if her only "special ability" was speaking gnoll & if she becomes my character I'll add it as one of my languages. Of course, this is with approval from GMSpike of course*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Brag runs past him, Taryn once again readies himself for combat, fearing the dwarf's rash action will reignite combat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(Solace)

 

Leo brings the torch as you requested and shines it around the room. It is a rather empty room... except for the something-shiny in the corner, that is. As further events unfold outside, you have time to observe that the sack is about the size of a 5 lb. flour bag and is filled to spilling-point with coins. Most of the coins visible at the top of the sack are copper.

 

(Chu-toi)

 

It just seemed like such a good idea, if only it had worked. The angry gnoll rushes at you with gnashing teeth, but is not really interested in the cheese. He bites at you as if you were ...um..some kind of squeaky rubber canine plaything or something.... and does 6 HP of damage. Feel free to squeak

 

(Brag)

 

You take Paraphin's advice and charge toward the argumentative gnoll, but not quick enough to protect Chu-toi this time. You swing your axe and with one fell swoop gut the recalcitrant creature. A mess of blood and guts and the gnolls last two meals splatters both you and the elf. The gnoll is quite thoroughly deceased.

(Brag and Chu-toi)

Make a Saving Throw to keep from being rather sick for the next minute or so.

 

/ ENDING COMBAT ROUNDS /

 

Seeing the dispatching of his former comrade does not phase the large gnoll. He just shrugs his shoulders, picks up his sword (in a non-hostile manner), and awaits his next orders from his new master.

 

(OOC to everyone)

 

From here on out if I need a dice roll from anybody, I'll highlight the text red so you'll be sure to notice.

 

Regarding non-magical healing or wound-binding, each wounded character may have one single other character attempt to bind his/her wounds immediately after combat has ended or the damage was sustained, and regain 1d4 HP. If this sort of healing is done by a cleric, the healing recovers 1d4+1 HP. A character binding his/her own woulds recovers 1d3 HP (roll a d6, divide by 2 and round up to the nearest whole-number). Wounds taken in previous encounters are not healed. The healing action has to take place in the next immediate turn (10 minutes) to be effective.

 

And congrats y'all! You just picked up a cool 90 XP for 'neutralizing' three gnolls. That's 13 for each of the six player-characters..and 13 more for the small army of hirelings to divide among themselves.

 

Time to ramp-up the danger? :poke:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"GAH! Gooey gnoll guts! gross!"

 

[Chu rolls a 16]

 

Chu spends a few moments cleaning the gnoll garnish off his cheese. Checks the body for valuables, then wanders down the hall in search of the cleric.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ask the big gnoll if he can help fill out our map a little bit, as much as he can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Solace turns around and looks at Kane. "Have you checked out this room yet? There's coinage in it. I wonder why the other explorers left it behind."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(Paraphin)

 

As the others go about their business, you have a few words with the gnoll. He nods often and still seems willing to help. He gestures toward the as-yet-unexplored end of the passage and asks you in his native tongue "You want to know what's that way?" The concept of an actual map on paper seems to be lost on his simple mind though.

 

The other gnoll stands by, slack-jawed and seeming a bit bored.

 

(All PCs)

 

Anybody care to loot the corpse?

 

(edit) Sorry about that Jay. I totally overlooked your looting before. I'll adjust my next post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the mention of coinage Solace has Kane's undivided attention

 

Coins? Where? I am always looking to expand my wardrobe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now