Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bogoz

Hind sight is 20/20

13 posts in this topic

Yes I know that the paint job is not so great. I really did not realize how bad it was until recently. I was still just trying to get tabletop results at that time so that I could get them in the game. That being said I am working on different painting techniques that I was never been privy too until I ran across this site. I will be posting pictures of my first Reaper mini as soon as I get the base completed. I actually tried new painting techniques and I must say that it looks much better but not quite as good as I want. For one thing the mini is much smaller than the GW mini's I am used to painting thus harder on the old eyes to see.

Please comment if so desired.

post-6138-1264807365_thumb.jpg

post-6138-1264807788_thumb.jpg

post-6138-1264808108_thumb.jpg

post-6138-1264808479_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking and commenting!

You're being to hard on yourself. It doesn't look bad to me.The bolter seems like the only thing that looks a little flat, otherwise it's a great tabletop standard

Thank you for the replies. I know that I am critical of myself and that has been a hindrance at times. That being said, I know I can do much better and I am hoping to learn more while hpefully meeting new people here.

Again, thanks alot.

So, looking at this model, what would you choose to do differently if you were to strip and repaint? He is good tabletop quality.

Looks good for tabletop. The base is great.

Thanks a bunch!

I like to base everything that I do. Since I am currently only playing 40K I use battle field debris as the main theme. I did forget to paint the base around the bottom. I generaly do this for easier indetification during deployment.

Anywho, I appreciate the good response.

BogoZ

So, looking at this model, what would you choose to do differently if you were to strip and repaint? He is good tabletop quality.

I would certainly layer my paint. At that time I just painted from the pot. The paint looks blotchy. I also used old, un-cared-for cheapo brushes from GW and Wally World. I have since purchased better quality brushes and a good brush cleaner. The transitions from dark to light on the model is very harsh. Again, there was no blending in my knowledge at the time. I think the face is very bad due to the lack of subtle change in light variations. I am curently learning to correct this fault. The highlighting on this model is over bearing. It dose not fuse well with the base color. It is also just "slapped" on. The lack of concentration and brush control is something I would correct as well. I am trying to transition from the table top mindset to the display mindset and hope to accomplish this by this years end.

Thanks for asking.

BogoZ

I agree with the other comments that this is a good tabletop quality. I certainly have a few pieces that look something like this, as I just needed them ready to use in a game. I'd bet that this mini looks pretty good at the 3 foot mark, which is really a nice standard for tabletop quality.

That said, I think you're on the right track with the things you've mentioned as wanting to improve. One thing that worked well for me when I started painting was looking at just one aspect that I wanted to improve; for me it was originally clothing and other fabrics. I spent a good it of time just slapping paint on eyes and skin and metal, but really concentrating on the cloth...that kept me from going crazy trying to improve everything at once, and it pretty quickly became apparent that, as I became better at making smooth transitions happen on cloth, I could apply that to skin as well, and so on across the board. Now I can claim to be a fairly decent painter. Certainly not the top of the heap by any stretch, but I can produce things that I can be proud of and happy with.

Keep it coming!

With the layering don't forget to thin your paints down too. My quality of painting is also tabletop, but I am on a mission to produce better also. It seems that repeated advice I come across will trolling the internet is thinning your paints, and quality brushes.

With the layering don't forget to thin your paints down too. My quality of painting is also tabletop, but I am on a mission to produce better also. It seems that repeated advice I come across will trolling the internet is thinning your paints, and quality brushes.

Yes I have noticed this as well. Getting the right consistency on the brush and transfer to the mini seems to be the issue with me. I tend to try to put to much paint on even once thined. I guess it comes with practice. Thanks for the advice.

My only recommendation applies to nearly all space marines: Drill out the barrel holes. This is a storm bolter, so it should have 2 holes next to each other.

Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with this mini. The base is great, the rest is certainly tabletop quality. If anything, you could give it a wash with Games Workshop's Badab Black wash on the gun and skirting.

Keep it up.

Like everyone else said, that's perfectly good tabletop quality. The base is great. Most of the things that'll draw focus -- the head, the crests, the skirt thing -- are well-detailed, and reward that attention. The storm bolter, as everyone else said, is a bit flat; the sword's better, but not at the same level as the head. The armour's a bit flat, but that's okay: it's a vast expanse of monochromatic armour plate. It's supposed to be flat. ::):

You're being way too hard on yourself, and I think focusing on a single miniature is robbing you of perspective. This is a gaming figure, so no-one's going to see it by itself (except here, I guess, and we all like it). Gaming figures are viewed as part of an army, not (usually) individually, and troops like this guy are usually viewed from arm's length or further. If you have 20 hours to put into your Ultramarines army and get every figure painted to this standard, it's going to look balls-out fantastic on the table. If you have 20 hours and put it all into a single figure, with (say) 29 bare plastic or primer-coloured figures next to it, your army's going to look awful even if that one painted figure is prize-winning quality.

I'm not saying you should accept -- or revel in -- any mistakes you see on this guy (as you've pointed out above). Just keep these things in context. ::):