Photo

60013 Merisiel, Iconic Elf Rogue (Pathfinder)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 dks

dks

Godlike

• Artists
  • 1035 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:17 PM

Like Xanesha the lamia matriarch (my last Show-Off), this is another Pathfinder figure previously released for Paizo under Crocodile Games and now rereleased by Reaper, so I wanted to provide a painted example.

Here's a link to the concept art: Merisiel at Pathfinder Wiki

I changed the face slightly, because I don't like painting female faces that have sculpted eyebrows. (You can compare my rendition to the image of the primed figure in the Gallery.) I cut away the eyebrows, allowing me to paint the eyebrows where I wanted, and I cut away part of the upper eyelids to give myself a rounder eye area overall to work with.

Merisiel's skin is very pink -- the base color is Porcelain Rose, and the shading includes Violet Red -- but her red leathers make it seem less so by comparison. The armor was also a new red for me: Mahogany Brown, plus a mix of Rust Brown and Carnage Red, highlighted with Rose Shadow.

Enjoy,
Derek

60013_Merisiel_dks_3views_500h.jpg

#2 Mercius

Mercius

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:19 PM

Amazing work as always Derek....Every new paint job of yours motivates me to improve my skills even more.

#3 primeval

primeval

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:20 PM

Great overall work as always. The skin and the leather are what immediately jumped out at me, and you were kind enough to provide the recipe :)

The hair is a great contrast to the rest of her as well!

"Barbarism is the natural state of mankind," the borderer said, still staring at the Cimmerian. "Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always ultimately triumph." - REH

#4 Mini Killer

Mini Killer

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:16 PM

I love the red leather and the hole pieces is just great. It is always a treat to see your work.

#5 Prophet

Prophet

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:29 PM

Awesome aculpt and way awesome paint job!!
Check out my blog '7+ Ward Save'
http://7upwardsave.blogspot.com/

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

My current auctions

PM me about my Warlord minis for sale.

#6 SIGIL

SIGIL

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:58 PM

Oi Derek, quite well done and very true to the original art.

Sort of OT -ish I suppose..... You remove the eye brows to be able to paint them where you want them. I think you did a great job, but I wonder ( as I am NEVER satisfied by my own sculpted eye brows ) is it actually easier to paint them in than it is to paitn the sculpted features? I have wanted to just leave them off of my own female sculpts but I worry that people may find it too difficult to paint htem in rather than to paint on them.

#7 JimL

JimL

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:34 PM

Gorgeous! The armor is excellent, and the eyes, wow.
To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer!
These guys rock, check them out! http://www.halestormrocks.com/

#8 BKBass

BKBass

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:34 PM

Great as always! And thanks for the recipes the leathers rock the party!
Chronicle of the Void, your next Sci-Fi RPG! Click the Pic!
Posted Image

#9 Ishil

Ishil

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 758 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:22 AM

Oh, another stunning paint job from you! And there is so much detail on the armour too.

Ishil
Jesus loves you. But not that much.

#10 MikeD

MikeD

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:50 AM

Great job as always, Derek!

I need to get some of those PF minis ordered so I can get started on painting some of them up, too. :B):
Mike
- Lord of the Unpainted Hoard!

#11 MamaGeek

MamaGeek

Godlike

• Members
  • 2076 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:57 PM

Once again, you've created something truly superb, providing us with another fantastically inspirational work. Thank you so much for sharing!
Posted Image
Proud Member of WAMP

#12 cookjimjr

cookjimjr

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 800 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:07 PM

Dang Derek! I think this is one of my favorite pieces now. You never cease to amaze me. I agree with you about the eye brows and of eyes in general. I wish that many female sculpts and even a few male Eleven sculpts did not have brows. I also like sculpts with a flatter/larger eye area to paint. Too many make it really tough on us non-professionals to create good eyes.

Jim

#13 Wilwarin

Wilwarin

Godlike

• Members
  • 1503 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:54 AM

Beautiful work, as always, Derek!! :D

#14 Ajii

Ajii

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 04:33 AM

Looks wonderful. Just looking at it helps me become a better artist and painter, just imagine what watching you paint would do. ^^ your painting is simply amazing, and I love your pieces.
(I'm not a fanboy >.> <.< ok maybe I am)
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones" -Albert Einstein

#15 bikerdrew

bikerdrew

Godlike

• Members
  • 1134 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:24 AM

Gorgeous work on this one.
"we'll not risk another frontal assault... That Rabbits dynamite!" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users