Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dks

60013 Merisiel, Iconic Elf Rogue (Pathfinder)

27 posts in this topic

Thanks for the compliments, all. Always glad to inspire.

Also, I should add (and am now adding) that I really like the pose and the detail of the armor. As you might know, I was one of the sculptors when Crocodile Games had the license, so I remember Chris FitzPatrick telling me that he spent a good deal of time working out this pose for a one-piece casting. I'm impressed at the sneaky tiptoe posture and the alternating arm and leg positions (right arm forward but left leg forward), as well as the crispness of the details and all those tiny studs.

@SIGIL: It might be easier for a novice painter to "follow the line" of a sculpted eyebrow, but the result just doesn't look good to me. With a sculpted protruding eyebrow, there's just so much surface to cover (the front, the top, and the bottom) that it usually looks too big when it's painted. Even without a sculpted eyebrow, there will be an edge where the plane of the forehead meets the plane of the upper eyelid area -- and then the painter can simply paint an eyebrow along that edge, or slightly deviate from the edge to make a subtle change in the expression (a little higher for a quizzical cocked eyebrow, a little lower for a furrowed brow or frown, etc.). It's harder to make those changes with a sculpted brow. If I want to suggest a certain position for the brows when I'm sculpting a face, I make little adjustments to the way the forehead meets the area above the eye -- but never make the eyebrows stick out noticeably from the forehead.

Derek

Awesome .... bl@*%^y awesome . I hate you . ::P::devil:

Still very inspiring just wish the weather here would cool down so I could be thus inspired . :rolleyes:

I have a female done right now that I am agonising over removing the eyebrows. This thread has really made me think on it. Your paint job REALLY looks great man, and your explanation makes perfect sense as well. Hmmmmmm Guess it would nto be TOO difficult to remove them.

I have a female done right now that I am agonising over removing the eyebrows. This thread has really made me think on it. Your paint job REALLY looks great man, and your explanation makes perfect sense as well. Hmmmmmm Guess it would not be TOO difficult to remove them.

Up to you! If it's not too difficult to remove the brows from the green, it wouldn't be too difficult to remove them from the pewter copy. :;):

Here are a couple of female faces that I sculpted and painted, so you can see how the brows look in the green.

Amiri's brows are about the most prominent I would sculpt on a female face that is still supposed to look attractive.

post-2358-12680767472688.jpg

post-2358-12680773819277.jpg

Derek

A beaut for sure, Derek. I love the face.

Sort of OT -ish I suppose..... You remove the eye brows to be able to paint them where you want them. I think you did a great job, but I wonder ( as I am NEVER satisfied by my own sculpted eye brows ) is it actually easier to paint them in than it is to paitn the sculpted features? I have wanted to just leave them off of my own female sculpts but I worry that people may find it too difficult to paint htem in rather than to paint on them.

Personally, I'd prefer females without them, allowing me add them as I need. My 2-cents.

Andy

I always add my own eyebrows where I want them, so I prefer not having them, but I would say that you should leave them on, especially for people who are just getting the hang of painting...having eyebrows to paint over top of is a good way to learn brush control. I just sand them down if they are too prominent, and if they dont jut out too much I can usually paint over top of them and make them blend into the rest of the face without too much trouble.

Well I did it..... And I am much happier with the results. I can see that I will be doign ti thsi way from here on out.

I'll shoot you some pics tommorrow Herr Schubert. :devil:

Thanks, Tre'. Am looking forward to seeing the pics.

And remember to revisit your decisions occasionally, to make sure you still agree with the underlying reasons. :;):

Derek

Shes gorgeous Derek and I love the colors!!!! You always do amazing work :wub: