Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dks

60022 Runelord Karzoug & 60023 Justice Ironbriar

24 posts in this topic

These are two figures originally released under the Pathfinder license by Crocodile Games, and now rereleased by Reaper.

Justice Ironbriar is a character from issue #2 of the Pathfinder Adventure Path series. He's pretty garishly dressed, but he's pretty good with his big flip-out razor ("war razor") in combat. I think I got his sneer right. He has a scar across his nose, too. The player-characters are likely to encounter him in a wood-planked office, so I sculpted them on his base using Greenstuff.

post-2358-12706668613431_thumb.jpg

I was excited to get to sculpt big-bad-evil-guy Runelord Karzoug. His robes and sashes are pretty complicated; Chris FitzPatrick (head of Crocodile) encouraged me to make the pose and drapery more dramatic, but I was too tentative in hindsight. Maybe Paizo will eventually ask for a new version, like the way Privateer Press makes "epic" versions of some popular characters. There was a problem in making Karzoug's master molds (not by Reaper), such that the first mold was unusable, the original green was damaged, and some parts had to be repaired. The flames turned out a little different from the original version, so I've added to them on the painted figure using Greenstuff. The base is also Greenstuff, simulating magical flames (Karzoug prefers to fly around the battlefield): I put wedges of Greenstuff on the base and then pulled them into points and curled them over.

post-2358-12706668517253_thumb.jpg

Enjoy,

Derek

DKS,

Dude...unbelievable detail...I've seen your work before as I was getting started and looking for ideas on what to do with some of my figures from reaper. It it was the reason why I was embarrassed to show my work.

How did you get such a fine level of detail and control on the runes on the runes on Karzoug's sash and on his face tatoos? Additionally, the lines on both figures robes are ridiculously straight and even in thickness and colour. How do you get that? Good brushes, a steady hand, practice, and good paint? Or am I missing something? (like commercially available stencils that help with these sorts of things).

Anyway, awesome work, and I'd love to hear about some of your detail techniques if you're willing to share. If it's a trade secret because of competitions and such, no problem either.

As usual, a source of inspiration, admiration, and despair, in roughly equal measure. :;):

Love the sneer! As always, your freehand continues to awe and amaze me. Thanks for sharing those.

Love the face work on Justice Ib. Oddly enough it looks better then "Dumbo" in the Pathfinder book :lol:

Great work on Karzoug as well. He was one of the few Croc Pathfinders I didn't get its nice to see in Reaper metal.

Awesome job!!

RM

How did you get such a fine level of detail and control on the runes on the runes on Karzoug's sash and on his face tatoos? Additionally, the lines on both figures robes are ridiculously straight and even in thickness and colour. How do you get that? Good brushes, a steady hand, practice, and good paint? Or am I missing something? (like commercially available stencils that help with these sorts of things).

I'm sure Derek will say patience, practice, thin paint, a nice pointy brush, fixing mistakes as you go, patience, and practice.

But I think it's really just Derek's super power. ;-P

Another great mini, Derek. I have added it to my shopping list.

Still coming out fantastic. Still ragingly jealous.

Very nice!

It occurs to me that Justice Ironbriar would make a great drow with a little conversion...

Damon.

these look great! i would also be curious if you used a brush on that detail, or some other device. thanks for sharing your inspiring work!

I am pretty sure that is all 100% clean brushwork on the freehand. The only person who can answer 100% is DKS but I would bet my last dollar on it being painted on.