• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 dks

dks

Godlike

• Artists
  • 1044 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:10 PM

These are two figures originally released under the Pathfinder license by Crocodile Games, and now rereleased by Reaper.

Justice Ironbriar is a character from issue #2 of the Pathfinder Adventure Path series. He's pretty garishly dressed, but he's pretty good with his big flip-out razor ("war razor") in combat. I think I got his sneer right. He has a scar across his nose, too. The player-characters are likely to encounter him in a wood-planked office, so I sculpted them on his base using Greenstuff.

60023_Ironbriar_dks_multiview_500h.jpg

I was excited to get to sculpt big-bad-evil-guy Runelord Karzoug. His robes and sashes are pretty complicated; Chris FitzPatrick (head of Crocodile) encouraged me to make the pose and drapery more dramatic, but I was too tentative in hindsight. Maybe Paizo will eventually ask for a new version, like the way Privateer Press makes "epic" versions of some popular characters. There was a problem in making Karzoug's master molds (not by Reaper), such that the first mold was unusable, the original green was damaged, and some parts had to be repaired. The flames turned out a little different from the original version, so I've added to them on the painted figure using Greenstuff. The base is also Greenstuff, simulating magical flames (Karzoug prefers to fly around the battlefield): I put wedges of Greenstuff on the base and then pulled them into points and curled them over.

60022_Karzoug_dks_multiview_500h.jpg

Enjoy,
Derek

#2 Inarah

Inarah

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 4321 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:49 PM

Lovely job on those green robes.
~It's not broken.... it's a conversion. ~

"I got my brother and his six year old hooked last week. They were soon back at the friendly local for more. Starts with a cute lil unicorn, next thing you're onto griffins and purple worms." ~ Carnacki the Ghost Finder

#3 btannehill

btannehill

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:05 PM

DKS,

Dude...unbelievable detail...I've seen your work before as I was getting started and looking for ideas on what to do with some of my figures from reaper. It it was the reason why I was embarrassed to show my work.

How did you get such a fine level of detail and control on the runes on the runes on Karzoug's sash and on his face tatoos? Additionally, the lines on both figures robes are ridiculously straight and even in thickness and colour. How do you get that? Good brushes, a steady hand, practice, and good paint? Or am I missing something? (like commercially available stencils that help with these sorts of things).

Anyway, awesome work, and I'd love to hear about some of your detail techniques if you're willing to share. If it's a trade secret because of competitions and such, no problem either.

#4 Mercius

Mercius

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:28 PM

Beautiful work as always Derek.

#5 blakbuzzrd

blakbuzzrd

Rabble Rouser

• Bones Supporter
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:54 PM

As usual, a source of inspiration, admiration, and despair, in roughly equal measure. :;):
"What Oft Was Squawked But Ne'er So Well Expressed"

#6 Warlady

Warlady

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:00 PM

Love the sneer! As always, your freehand continues to awe and amaze me. Thanks for sharing those.
Warlady

Miniatures=metal cocaine

#7 Sharpe

Sharpe

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:58 PM

Definitely some of the best paint jobs I've ever seen. :)

#8 haldir

haldir

I Don't Look Like My Avatar

• Bones Supporter
  • 12861 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:23 PM

Love the face work on Justice Ib. Oddly enough it looks better then "Dumbo" in the Pathfinder book :lol:

Great work on Karzoug as well. He was one of the few Croc Pathfinders I didn't get its nice to see in Reaper metal.

Awesome job!!

RM
Posted Image Posted Image Oh what the hell-- Posted Image

ReaperCon goer since 2005!

"The Road Goes Ever On......

"Lop that mutt's nards off spike! " orcsoul

#9 Mini Killer

Mini Killer

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:10 AM

All i can say is great work.

#10 Flit

Flit

Goddess of Solar Powered Fairies

• Bones Supporter
  • 1213 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:55 AM

How did you get such a fine level of detail and control on the runes on the runes on Karzoug's sash and on his face tatoos? Additionally, the lines on both figures robes are ridiculously straight and even in thickness and colour. How do you get that? Good brushes, a steady hand, practice, and good paint? Or am I missing something? (like commercially available stencils that help with these sorts of things).

I'm sure Derek will say patience, practice, thin paint, a nice pointy brush, fixing mistakes as you go, patience, and practice.

But I think it's really just Derek's super power. ;-P

Another great mini, Derek. I have added it to my shopping list.
I want to move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Somtimes I think the hardest thing I do all day is getting out of bed.
Maybe if mornings came later in the day, they would be easier to handle.

My minis-Fairy Moon Studios

Posted Image

#11 joe b

joe b

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 185 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:09 PM

Still coming out fantastic. Still ragingly jealous.

====================== Minis Bought in 2013: 0 Minis Painted in 2013: 0 Goal: 26 ======================

====================== Reapermas: Bringing Painters Back from the Dead Since 2013 ==================

#12 Wilwarin

Wilwarin

Godlike

• Members
  • 1503 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:38 PM

beautiful, clean job!! :D Love it!

#13 Lars Porsenna

Lars Porsenna

Godlike

• Members
  • 5588 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:28 PM

Very nice!

It occurs to me that Justice Ironbriar would make a great drow with a little conversion...

Damon.
-The Serial Crusher.
-Godlike since 9-09-04.
-My book blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
-My Minis blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
-My thoughts on D&D 4e: Link
-"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
-"Warhammer40000 is your Standard Sci Fi Setting injected with a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Starship Troopers and Star Wars, bathed in blood and turned up to eleventy billion (and then set on fire). Twice. With chainsaws." Quote

#14 AmbyDextrous

AmbyDextrous

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:44 AM

these look great! i would also be curious if you used a brush on that detail, or some other device. thanks for sharing your inspiring work!

#15 Mercius

Mercius

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:35 AM

I am pretty sure that is all 100% clean brushwork on the freehand. The only person who can answer 100% is DKS but I would bet my last dollar on it being painted on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users