7 replies to this topic

#1 Ferox

Ferox

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:57 PM

So my local FLGS scored a bunch of Rackham Confrontation blisters for silly cheap, and I bought four of them. Including these guys, which're a bit more magepunk than I usually paint but are utterly gorgeous sculpts:

IMG_0452.jpg

Surprisingly, they went together pretty easily. Nearly everything's pinned; the small joints between the polearms and the hands are not, but with two points of support for the voulges I'm okay with that. I was thinking of draping some green-stuff ribbon banners over the polearm shafts to keep them from bending, but decided it was too much trouble.

IMG_0453.jpg

Confrontation blisters come with a little rulebook, much the way Magic starter decks did. (Maybe they still do? Last time I bought a core-set starter was in, uh, Unlimited.) Of course, the book's in French, which I read fairly fluently fifteen years ago, and it's laid out in a "gritty, edgy" faux-medieval font with medium-contrast art behind it (much like a Privateer Press rulebook). Challenging.

IMG_0454.jpg

I wouldn't mind having these guys painted up by, say, Sunday. I figure I'll use brass for most of the metal bits rather than steel -- I haven't worked with large chunks of "brown" metal before, so shading it should be a new and interesting experience. Basecoats tomorrow?
Unfinished WIPs: Centurus Clones
Blunt Object - vitriol, motorsports, and beer -- not necessarily in that order
Nerdgasm - gaming is serious business

#2 Mercius

Mercius

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:00 PM

Are you going to use true metals or NMM?

#3 Ferox

Ferox

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:42 PM

Are you going to use true metals or NMM?

True metallics -- specifically, RMS Tarnished Brass. As usual I'll be shading with standard acrylics (probably Cinder Brown to Walnut Brown to Walnut Brown/Blue Liner), and highlighting with New Gold and VMC metal medium. The blades will have to be steel, though; I'm too much of a knife knut to paint 'em brass. ::):

Got a coat of primer on these guys now. The gap between the neck-tubes and the half-skull heads is much less pronounced now: it's really not as bad as it looks in those photos, but part of the gap is CA which doesn't really show up.

#4 Ferox

Ferox

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:44 AM

Primer's dry, and I'm feeling a bit awestruck by the detail on these figures, so I thought I'd wash them down with a thin coat of Blackened Brown. The results were striking enough that I decided to post pics.

IMG_0455.jpg

I used plain ol' Blackened Brown, with about twice as much flow improver as I'd normally include and a bunch of water. The flow improver did its job: the wash covered much more smoothly and evenly than I expected, and sank into the nooks and crannies quite happily.

IMG_0456.jpg

Onward!

#5 Mercius

Mercius

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:41 AM

holy fiddly bits batman!!!!

#6 Mini Killer

Mini Killer

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:21 AM

Those are some nice mini's. They should be fun to paint.

#7 Zinzig

Zinzig

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 405 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:09 AM

I scored a slew of confrontation back when Miniature Market was unloading...lots and lots of fiddly bits to paint. But, a good portion of the figures I got are quite a bit larger than I expected. I've got an earth elemental sitting in half-painted stage cause I'm trying to decide how I want to paint it up and it's amazing the amount of detail that are on these things. That said, the elemental is probably on par with a reaper master series in size if not a smidge bigger. Not sure the size on these two though.

Good Luck!
-Z

#8 Ferox

Ferox

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:26 AM

I scored a slew of confrontation back when Miniature Market was unloading...lots and lots of fiddly bits to paint. But, a good portion of the figures I got are quite a bit larger than I expected. I've got an earth elemental sitting in half-painted stage cause I'm trying to decide how I want to paint it up and it's amazing the amount of detail that are on these things. That said, the elemental is probably on par with a reaper master series in size if not a smidge bigger. Not sure the size on these two though.

These guys're large -- about the size of a Reaper Lupine. That's good news for me, as there's a lot of detail that would be nearly unpaintably small on a regular-sized figure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users