7 replies to this topic

#1 highpriestrsw2

highpriestrsw2

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:10 PM

I know i posted this on the old forums and it was answered by Anne but sadly it isn't here on the new forums and I feel the urge to make my shiny metal men pretty with paint but don't want to chance messing up the primer if I'm doing it incorrectly.
I have RMS white primer and RMS black primer and I want to know if I should thin them or not and how much water to use if I do?
Thanks.

#2 ThornDJL7

ThornDJL7

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:03 PM

I second this. Is there general directions to using the RMS primers and sealers?
Pathfinder Society Venture-Captain (West-Michigan)

My CMON Gallery

#3 Wren

Wren

Godlike

• Artists
  • 1966 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:03 PM

The forum software was updated, but I think the messages were left intact (Kit periodically removes old messages, but I think that's been a year or two back now). So you could try searching for messages that you've written to see if the old thread is still there, if you haven't tried that already.

If the thread isn't there, my suggestion would be to try thinning 4:1 primer:water. Maybe 3:1 if your primer seems very thick. As with all RMS paints, you'll generally need two coats for nice coverage.

#4 Serenity

Serenity

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 495 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:12 PM

Different painters use different amounts of water, but 4:1 primer to water is a good starting point. You may prefer it a little more dilute or a little less, but the primer will work either way. I'm only talking about the white primer by the way. I haven't had an opportunity to try the black primer yet, but I suspect it'll be about the same.

Serenity
All I want is to have my peace of mind.(Boston)

Time and time again I've thanked them for a peace of mind.(The Outlaws, Green Grass and High Tides)

#5 Deguello

Deguello

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:37 PM

Depends on application method..
Airbrush I go 80/20 and above 25 lbs through my airbrush..Goes on almost Dry... and with the humidity here thats not such a bad thing

paint brush I go 90/10 the 80/20 above tends to streak

#6 Cypharius

Cypharius

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:16 AM

I'm using the Black Primer with a somewhere around a 3:1 - 4:1 ratio for Paint:Water. It seems to do the job for me.

#7 Kang

Kang

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:26 AM

Here is a thread dealing with some of these questions. One of many, actually, but this was the one I started. Bottom line, when I asked about how much thinning RMS white primer should get and how thick it should be applied, answers varied from anywhere from 1 drop of water for every 4-5 drops of primer to a 1:1 ratio, and paint it on until it is as opaque as you want it to be. So just thin it until it has a consistency you're comfortable painting with, and if you want a solid white undercoat to help with highlighting, paint it on until it's pretty much opaque, otherwise just a light frosting is fine. Which sort of seems like no answer at all, I realize, but apparently the stuff works well pretty much however you use it. "thick enough to not rub off easily, and thin enough not to glob up details" was the most concrete advice I got, and that was from Anne. IIRC I ended up experimenting a bit with thinning ratios and wound up liking 1 drop of water to 3 drops primer more than any of the other recipes I tried.

Although I have read elsewhere that if you paint it on too thick (this goes for any primer, I believe), it can sort of seal itself over and become smooth and a little slippery so that it actually makes the paint want not to stick to the mini - YMMV.

Good luck,

Kang

#8 ThornDJL7

ThornDJL7

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 301 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

Just dug this thread up again. I'd forgotten how much to thin my primer and was looking at it stupidly. :P
Pathfinder Society Venture-Captain (West-Michigan)

My CMON Gallery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users