181 replies to this topic

#76 Kangaroorex

Kangaroorex

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

Two questions concerning the metal trade:

Did anyone every positively identify whether Cronopia was good or bad for the trade?

Any problem with the metals already in ingot or bar form?  (they used to be minis -- never give a boy access to a crucible and ladle)

thanks

• dispatchdave likes this

#77 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 5796 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

I don't think they have confirmed whether there will be a metal trade for this ReaperCon.

* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war - Shakespeare's Julius Caeser
* Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Tardis Express: When it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V
* My two hobby blog; Wargames and Railroads

#78 nytflyr

nytflyr

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1375 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

I don't think they have confirmed whether there will be a metal trade for this ReaperCon.

well if they aren't, they need to say something pronto (and lock this thread)

¤ª""˜¨¨¯¯¨¨˜""ª¤ª""˜¨¨¯¯¨¨˜""ª¤ª""˜¨¨¯¯¨¨˜""ª¤ª""˜¨¨¯¯¨¨˜""ª¤
Anything I paint that turns out better than tabletop is purely by accident!
Visit the Dirty 30s! - A sourcebook for Pulp RPGs... now with 10% More PULP!
Selling 30 years of gaming material, visit my eBay store!

Hirst Molds: 40, 45, 54, 55, 56, 60, 63, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 80, 84, 85, 86, 201, 203, 205, 235, 250, 260, 281, 282, 320, 321

#79 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 5796 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

Okay, I checked its still on. Although I would caution people about some of the abuse that occurred last year. The whole idea behind this is that Reaper can pretty much use what is traded in almost directly into their crucibles. If you can take a mini and run it across a piece of paper and not really leave much of a mark then it should be good (although you should definitely continue to check the approved list). If you can take a mini and use it like a pencil then its off the list. I saw quite bit of metal last year that definitely should not have been traded in and not in small amounts either. So please, please double check your minis against the list before you trade it in, otherwise they may well stop letting us do this.

• Shakandara and nytflyr like this
* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V

#80 Kangaroorex

Kangaroorex

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

Okay.  Problem is, I can use brand new reaper minis for pencils without much difficulty.  I am perfectly willing to let someone inspect them and let me know which are good.  I also get the lighter and brighter (until you hit them with primer and then strip it off, then all minis go dark) unfortunately, most of these are recovered minis and either don't have markings or are not on either list (Target, in specific)  I have about 80 Chronopia dwarves I have no earthly use for.

Finally, what is the generally accepted break point between old ral partha and new ral partha.  70s and early 80s are obvious because of the metal, but where in the 80s did it change over?

This is a really great opportunity so I look forward to the fun of picking both between the old stuff and the new.

Thanks for helping out the newbie

#81 Girot

Girot

Drunk Bacon God

• Bones Supporter
  • 3229 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

Finally, what is the generally accepted break point between old ral partha and new ral partha.  70s and early 80s are obvious because of the metal, but where in the 80s did it change over?

I'm pretty sure if you hand over a pile of Ral Partha to be melted down Buglips will kill you in your sleep with his stinky shoes.

I read that we get a good deal for clean metal and like half for "used" metal.  I'm perfectly cool with that but I am very curious as to why.

• Creeper likes this
Active Events: Lysette | Dragons 2013 | Bad Boys | TMBG 2014 | WX14 | RC Songs |
Click this link to my gallery! I need the hits! ::P: | 2014 Painted Miniatures/Models: 23

#82 Kangaroorex

Kangaroorex

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

I figure its the smell.  Burning off paint primer and glue gives off some noxious smells and depending on what's in it, it can require additional work with the metal as well.  Used to take lead lures to cast 1:1200 scale ships.  The painted ones would drive you out of the shop!

• Girot likes this

#83 Inarah

Inarah

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3880 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

SOP in the past has been sort out what you know is Approved, and then bring the rest to be examined by someone with authority at Reaper. 

"Used" metal with primer, paint and glue messes up the casting metal with garbage.  Raw or cleaned up figures can go right in the pot and be melted down and recast.  Reaper either has to spend time skimming the crucible continuously, or pay a metals recycler to sort it out. 

~It's not broken.... it's a conversion. ~

"I got my brother and his six year old hooked last week. They were soon back at the friendly local for more. Starts with a cute lil unicorn, next thing you're onto griffins and purple worms." ~ Carnacki the Ghost Finder

#84 Girot

Girot

Drunk Bacon God

• Bones Supporter
  • 3229 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

yikes.... I almost feel bad bringing in that batch at all then.  I really don't want to just throw it away though.  I was SOOOO excited at this program because I can offload all the tin I'm NEVER going to paint.

So.... what is it exactly we are getting to sort through in exchange for our metal?

Active Events: Lysette | Dragons 2013 | Bad Boys | TMBG 2014 | WX14 | RC Songs |
Click this link to my gallery! I need the hits! ::P: | 2014 Painted Miniatures/Models: 23

#85 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 5796 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

Trade threads are not normally allowed, the Bones Kickstarter trade thread being and exception to the rule. Send a PM to ReaperBryan and see if he will let you set that thread up.

#86 Inarah

Inarah

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3880 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

So.... what is it exactly we are getting to sort through in exchange for our metal?

You can either pick through what other people have brought for trade, it's dumped out on a large table. Or you can go through the aisles in the warehouse and pick from the bins of every single piece of metal that Reaper has ever made (except stuff that is truly OOP).  You want the second goblin on the left in the pack of 5, but not the other 4? Fine, pick out just that one. You want the head and shield off a figure to use for conversions, pick that. Just the wings off Ebonwraith? 14 sprues of weapon pack IX? All yours. Raw metal, no packaging, do your own QC.  Ounce for ounce trade. 

• Girot likes this
~It's not broken.... it's a conversion. ~

"I got my brother and his six year old hooked last week. They were soon back at the friendly local for more. Starts with a cute lil unicorn, next thing you're onto griffins and purple worms." ~ Carnacki the Ghost Finder

#87 Girot

Girot

Drunk Bacon God

• Bones Supporter
  • 3229 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

You can either pick through what other people have brought for trade, it's dumped out on a large table. Or you can go through the aisles in the warehouse and pick from the bins of every single piece of metal that Reaper has ever made (except stuff that is truly OOP).  You want the second goblin on the left in the pack of 5, but not the other 4? Fine, pick out just that one. You want the head and shield off a figure to use for conversions, pick that. Just the wings off Ebonwraith? 14 sprues of weapon pack IX? All yours. Raw metal, no packaging, do your own QC.  Ounce for ounce trade. 

*sniffle.... sniffle*   it's... it's so beauitful...  *sniffle*

• Kangaroorex and dispatchdave like this

#88 Evilmonkey

Evilmonkey

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

I love it as a way to build up my CAV and Warlord forces as well as pick up stuff that screams paint me.... Though I will be picking up that female russian sniper for Bolt Action.

• Girot likes this

"A war without civility can lead only to massacres" Treize Khushrenada
"The greater the sacrifice, the more glorious the triumph" Franklin D Roosevelt
"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

I do look like my avatar...

Wearer of the Infamous Pikachu Hat!

http://regimentalcolors.blogspot.com/

#89 BlackEd

BlackEd

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

What's the upper limit on the amount of metal we bring in?  I have access to lots of pewter minatures.

There are more things on heaven and earth...

#90 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 5796 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

There has never been an upper limit set. You will receive a "receipt" for the amount of metal you turn in and as you pick stuff out of the boneyard that will be weighed and subtracted from your total. I saw a 5 gallon bucket being brought in a couple of years ago, I don't know what the actual weight was though. Just be sure you are bringing pewter miniatures and not lead.

• Girot likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users