Sign in to follow this  
Lars Porsenna

Gloss coat/ dull coat

I have been using citadel absolute matte. And as long as I remember to let it dry completely before re-appling, I have been very happy with it. Picked up two "other" types at a ceramic stoe, one was a very matte matte and the other was called porcelain. It is supposed to have a procelain finish to it. Haven't tried it though, so I don't know how it will look, yet.

Hiya,

For sealing of minis I will first start with a solid glosscote using Future acrylic floor finish. This is a durable, water thin clearcoat that goes on smoothly and dries very glossy. I shoot it out of my airbrush but check the hobby stores for inexpensive (albiet more crude) spray devices. If I use decals on the figure (such as markings on an SF figure or shield transfers on a fantasy/historical figure) I'll glosscote again to protect the decal. Finally I use a coat of Citadel Matte. I've never had any inconsistent results with this and it is now my preferred flat cote. I even use it on my military models. I think its superior to any other flatcote on the market (except perhaps the old Humbrol Enamel sprayed through my airbrush).

Some people will say you really don;t need a glosscote first. I find it useful because 1) future is very durable, 2) I know where I've sprayed and what I missed and 3) I can tell when the figure is getting worn because I'll see it start to turn "glossy"...then I can just hit it again with matte to protect it (something not often done by me, btw...).

Damon.

Good topic, Stern.  I've noticed an inconsistency with the GW matte finish too.  I ran a couple of experiments on a piece of glass (so I could see what the finish was doing to my painted figs) and it's terrible how 'white' the finish is.  That's gotta be doing something to my paint job!

Ral Partha used to make a matte finish that I loved but I'm pretty sure it's discontinued and I'm fast running out of my supply, so I'm definitely interested in the answers here.

For the record, I've been told that humidity levels affect sealers, but I've been storing mine indoors and the GW product still comes out white.

I've noticed an inconsistency with the ** matte finish too. †I ran a couple of experiments on a piece of glass (so I could see what the finish was doing to my painted figs) and it's terrible how 'white' the finish is. †That's gotta be doing something to my paint job!

I have heard that a particular company recent posts refered to runs all of their paint through the same tube to bottle it.  That is, they  run the white paint into the cans right before they fill the cans of sealer. Obviously the first few are going to not be pure so they toss those, but the rest, they box up and ship up to poor saps like us who are clueless.

I quit buying their products, I don't have a recommendation for a replacement product, but I'm looking.

cbs

Yes, yes a chaulky look sometimes with the GW matte spray, other times not.  I have to agree with BPally.  

However, I've never tried to gloss coat and then dull coat.

Krylon matte, hmm...  I'll have to try that.  Thanks Mr. Page.

Stern's got an angle...

???

For my last set of Minis I handpainted "endangered" areas (Parts standing out, thus being affected by more friction) with Humbrol Gloss Cote. Then I applied to layers of GW's purity seal, although the metallic colours got somewhat dull after the second coating. Then I painted the parts of the mini that were supposed to be glossy (eyes, open mouths, gems) again with the Gloss Cote. You can see the results in the Show off section of this forum.

wow, what luck!  i cam here and i was going to ask what should i use for a finishing agent.... now, here is something that is probally a no-no... i have been using hairspray, and i took noatice that it kinda makes the paint run....

kinda being not the right word.... :(

so what is the best thing to use?  i like the shiny coat, but i have some players that like the dull coat...

help please....

I'm a total fiend for Krylon Spray Matte Finish #1311. This is what I've been using for over 10 years and have never had a problem. The only gripe would be that with multiple coats there can be some slightly glossy look, but I'm going to try some Testors brush on dullcote to make them look less shiny.

I'll keep ya posted on how it works.

I've got some Krylon now and will run my "glass" experiment on it.  It can't be any worse than that other garbage I was using.

To the question, I pretty much stay with the matte finish.  If I get any better at gems I might think about a gloss coat for those.

There are bunches of sealers better than hairspray!

I have some humbrol, some Mattel (I think) and a can of spray-clear intended for craft projects. I'm no artist. They do the job :)

NOTE: if you paint with acrylic, most people do, make sure thay are WELL DRY, and I mean really WELL DRY, before sealing with an enamel. If you're brushing enamel on, use a separate brush that you never use for acrylics- enamels get messy when water gets in them, and if you paint them over still-drying acrylic, they'll bubble.

Generally:

Acrylic= water soluble

Enamel= thinner or petrol soluble.

Hey all-

What's good for sealing/ protecting the paint on minis?  I've been using GW dull coat, but I'm tired of the inconsitant results with this product.

What do you guys use?

SK

I personally use Testor's Dullcote and Testor's Gloss Coat. I have never had a problem with consistancy, quality, or especially, the cost.

I use one of two methods:

- one coat of gloss followed by two coats of dullcote

- three coats of dullcote

I am not sure which one I like better, yet. The dull-over-gloss seems to hold up better, but it is a bit more shiny than the dullcote only finish.