TaleSpinner

Beholder WIP

Just got word, it will be going into production sometime in June, if everything pans out. I won't get too excited though until I know he's actually running them. It will be sold as Occulus the Eye Beast.

BTW: In case you didn't see, I'm doing a painting WIP of it here: http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/44706-occullus-the-eye-beast-hour-by-hour-wip/

• Like 1

Wow, excellent work. It’s very inspiring, I hope to find the time to create my own monster some day and cast some clones of it.

The final result look perfect. How many hours did it take you to accomplish it? Did you keep the count?

Wow, excellent work. It’s very inspiring, I hope to find the time to create my own monster some day and cast some clones of it.

The final result look perfect. How many hours did it take you to accomplish it? Did you keep the count?

Each eye took 4+ hours, so we'll say 50 right there. I think the main figure took about 20 and the base took 2. So that is 82 plus about 3 hours for the armatures, so about 75. I'd be a bit faster now. ;)

Andy

Excellent work, I like the texture and layout to your entire work. I think that the Eye stalks have a "flytrap" quality to them and it is a different take on a classic Iconic monster. I would say I think with the size I would have liked the "main/central" eye to have some detail to it, that being said the detail and texture throught the work is very well done. I really like the eye stalk tounge and believe that you have really taken a monster and placed your own twist on it. I would love to have one and look forward to being able to HOPEFULLY pick one up at Gen-Con.

Hi TaleSpinner,

Is Trollforged going to release this mini? There's nothing on their site about the mini under any spelling of the name ("Oculus"). I followed your work in '12 and I've been chomping at the bit since, so I'm hoping the kit sees the light of day.

Thanks,

Ket

I spoke with Ed at TF about it a month ago. Many of his normal projects got sidelined as he converted his operations to Trollcast plastics, took on several contract jobs (like for Red Box), and ran his own successful Kickstarter to expand his business. As a result, things like this got pushed out. Right now he is working on moving his operation out of his basement and into a real business location. He fully intends to release this and other people's sculpts that are waiting in the wings, but wouldn't commit to an exact date, though late spring/early summer wouldn't be out of the question. I'm in a wait and see mode with this at this point, primarily because he has a lot of work right now to fulfill his requirements on the Alien Assimilation Kickstarter.

Thanks,

Andy

@ Ketjak:

Trollforged just did a huge kickstarter for its aliens line (I think their most popular line) and they are moving everything to a new space, out of the guy's basement, from what I recall reading. Once that move is done, the Oculus is set to be cast early on once the KS is done.

I hope that helps, because I've been chomping at the bit too.

/d

Edit: Ninja'd by Andy himself, who answered the question much better than I could have.

Edited by Darkmeer

I really like claws around the eyes. It makes the beholder a little more interesting creature, because he can hold things without magic, now. And he could attack someone with the closed eye stalks.

I would like to see a version with 2 or 3 longer, thinned tentacle as he is grabbing something. Thinner, because it can stretch the tentacle to get something or attack someone farther away. Or one tentacle holding someting with the tentacle or more tentacles or a dashing out the tongue like a frog, only he try to grab or attack.

Edited by Teskal
  • Like 1