TaleSpinner

Beholder WIP

I've been checking in every day waiting to see progress on this mini, can we get an update?

I wish. <_< There isn't much to update at this point. I got hit with the busy bomb. I haven't had time for sculpting for about a month now. At the moment all of my hobby time (what little I have as we are in the busy season at work) is being taken up by painting a miniature for my wife's new PC. Now, on top of everything else, my car bit the bullet for good, so I have to shop for a new one. I HATE car shopping.

Hopefully, things will loosen up again in a week or two and I'll be able to get back to this guy.

Andy

Some observations about snarling animals that you may want to incorporate:

1. They have fangs (lengthen two of the teeth, or shorten the others)

2. Their lips rise up higher on the sides than in the middle

3. They show some gums

4. Their eyebrows arch down in the middle (he has one eye, but his browridge and still do the V thing)

5. Their cheekbones rise up towards the front of their snout, and are lower towards the back

Check out this image as a good reference.

Hope that helps!

Well, after a two month hiatus, I finally got some time to work on this guy again. I haven't changed the face any (a tooth actually fell out). Basically, this installment is the armor plating I added to the top of the head.

post-140-12909727177673.jpg post-140-1290972718317.jpg

post-140-12909727172535.jpg post-140-12909727166712.jpg

Andy

• Like 6

I put about two hours a day into this mini almost every day of the past week. That is a huge rarity for me to be able to put that much time into my hobbies.

At this point everything but the eye stalks and base are done.

post-140-1291604270365.jpg

post-140-12916042710631.jpg

post-140-12916042717341.jpg

post-140-12916042724807.jpg

post-140-12916042692615.jpg

Comments welcome.

Andy

• Like 6

I've just spent about three minutes trying to find the right word, and the closest I've come is "amazing".

I have been lurking and checking this out for the past while and I have to say WOW, that last round of work really put a deadly spin of awesomeness on the piece, truly excellent work!! I can hardly wait for the final roll-out!

Thanks guys.

Here's the first eye stalk:

post-140-12929895276144.jpg

I'd really like your harsh critique on this. I did it to match the plating on the top of the head. At first I really liked it, but my wife was lukewarm on it and now I'm second guessing myself. I'll likely try another concept or two and see what looks best.

Oh, and I decided to sculpt them away from the body as it would be too hard to do it on the body. In hindsight, I think the way I did the wires on the armature was a mistake. I'll just cut them off an hollow out the sockets.

Oh, and a few people wanted to see the mini in scale, so here's a shot of it with a WK sculpt I had on my bench:

post-140-12929895352176.jpg

Please let me know what you think of the eye stalk. It took three hours to sculpt so I don't want to put any moretime into that style until I know that i am going with it. I'll likely try sculpting another style similar to what I have in the original concept art.

Thanks,

Andy

• Like 5

I think you're close on that eyestalk. The only thing I see wrong* with what you have is that the scales on the eyestalk are a bit saddle-shaped, which makes them look a bit floral.

If you were to make them convex both longitudinally and latitudinally, I think you might get a bit more chitinous look.

HTH. (I really like the way this piece is progressing, by the way.)

* "Wrong" in the sense of "not quite to my taste".

I don't know, that is a tricky one, the first shot looks pretty cool to me. The only criticism I would have is that the "flares" of the segments are possibly a bit too radical, with the thinnest points seeming a little too puny when weighted against the widest parts, makes the whole thing look somehow weirdly fragile. What you might try is to add some kind of fur/shag/hair of some sort in between the segments, it would sort of match up with the way that shag-like panel on the back/top of the beast looks?

I suggest this since if you are going to try a couple of different other styles and scrap the piece you have already made, you might as well try to add something to it and see if that works better. The heavy scaling on the main "body" would suggest a much rougher texture for the eyestalks than you have in the concept art, so personally I think the heavy-armour look of the prototype you have posted works just fine with how the beast actually turned out.

I am sure this thing is going to rock no matter what, no matter what you decide on.

PS I was making a pitcher plant sculpt and hit the same block you did- I made multiple arms and put them in the base thinking it was clever, and then when I went to make the pitchers on them it turned into a logistical nightmare (also I was using sculpey so I had to not disturb the ones I had already made while making the rest of them- huge mistake haha)