Spirit of the Forest

Troop 4
Spirit of the Forest

Troop 5
Owlbear x 4
--------------------------
5 troops +1 spy
25 models (54 DTs)

Gets a second Stumpy and another Owlbear in there as well as a little more DV with the Oakhearths, in lew of the cleave of the the satyrs...

Gets 15 shots per turn with the rangers, even tho they will probably only hit with 2-3 at most. They can be annoying. The enemy will know that they will only hit with a few hits so they will most likely ignore them.. at least until they get those 2-3 hits on the right targets.

#17 Stubbdog

Stubbdog

Obssessive Over-Analyzer

• Bones Supporter
  • 6979 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:23 PM

Haven't posted a list in here in a while so here ya go:

Tembrithil - 999 points

Troop 1
King Thelanor Anenfel
Drys, Dryad
Dehanis, Druidess
Centaur Archer x 3
Oakhearth Sentinel
Oakhearth Warden
Faun x 3

Troop 2
Ilmarin Woodstride
Drys, Dryad
Sildorian Protector
Centaur Archer x 2
Oakhearth Sentinel
Oakhearth Warden
Faun x 2

Troop 3
Spirit of the Forest
----------------------------------
3 troops +1 tactician + 3 spies
21 models (44 DTs, 30 MAs)

The MA count is relatively low in this list because it has a larger number of casters and archers. So, its a little misleading. This list could use either doctrine, but I really built it with the Blossoms in mind (slowing down the enemy and forcing them to move where you want them to, while you get to move and shoot freely). Come to think of it, I might not have included enough archers in this list... oh well..

There are 5 casters in the list and all 5 of them should use their first activation to cast Fruitful Branch. That will gain at least 100 points more with of models on the table, possibly more.

As noted above, depending on the terrain, right from the start you should be placing a blossom patch in places to force hte enemy where you want them, either into a funnel, or to take the long way around. Or simply toss the trees right on top of them depending on where they are. Then take advantage of the Dryad's enchant spells to keep them there.

Friendly Archers can shoot thru the blossoms as if they are not there, so it means they can usually get closer without fear of the enemy being able to get to them. Then you can bring in your melee crew to finish it off.
King and Syldorian use chain lightnings, earthquakes, and Entangle.
Druid heals the Big Stompy to let it keep thumping things.

#18 rgtriplec

rgtriplec

Godlike

• Members
  • 1921 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:07 AM

This is pretty sad... less than 20 posts in three years. Its too bad, because this army had a lot of potential in beta but everyone hated it and no one playtested it.

I argued that the Darkreach ability to be stealth and to see stealth should go with these guys since they have that silly short range, but I was overruled.

I also thought the spell where the saprolings break off of the Spirit should be able to be used once per turn. It was argued that that was too powerful,  but we have spectral minions, crusaders changing dead guys into soldiers and the necros do that too. Again overruled.

I argued that the we needed another storm caster since chain lightning is an FA. I thought an old Willow woman would be cool. I wanted Thistlewing and the Sildorian Protector's to trade magic and range.

I wanted the Spirit of the Forest  to be able to be sgt 4-6-1 and be able to take the protector and saprolings as soldiers and the willow woman as an elite, as part of the Summer Blossom faction ability. I thought One with the Trees should just be an open portal for as many guys as you wanted to send through. There are other game functions where a Warlord or whoever can move an entire troop, Part Deaths River or whatever moves a bunch of guys all at once.

Anyway, it was no, no, no, shut up already, god are still here, no, no, no, we already said no, for the love of Pete will you go away.

But they are still pretty fun if you use them right.

This list I use the Warlord because he has that get +2 Mav and die thing for his troop and fauns are gonna die the first time they attack anyway... they are 4 +2 +support +reach. So, you can take down something really big or mess up a few guys and only lose 100 points of fauns.  Then I take a band of owlbear. Why? Because owlbears are cool and they are pretty good too. Then I take the sniper, because he pretty much can't be killed in this army if you plant your cd forests right and he usually does a point or two of damage. But the backbone of the army is the Ranger sgts. They run into the woods or the cd woods deep enough no one can get them with a normal move, the cat is on a cav base but short so he can shoot over but you cant base the archer without going around,  and going around takes a lot of movement. And if you throw the first heavy woods on top of your opponent then run up and pelt them a few times  before they can get out. They tend to not go in the woods by on their own after that.  The fauns are fodder to slow things down. Hopefully the king gets his spells off.

Now if the board has a lot of woods on it use the other faction ability where the kings chainlightning hits 6 at 3", and all the rangerSA models get a free move once per game.

Its not a killer list but it really frustrates your opponent, they hate those woods dropping in from nowhere. The 9-12 inch range they were laughing at before the game, proves to be crippling especially when focused from the woods with a magic weapon. Its a great  list for scenarios.  Where you need to get somewhere first or hold something.

The teleport from woods to woods is cool too. Its great for the sniper and the king to get away fast. Now I didn't take an animal swarm, but its great for the One with the Woods teleport thing. This army has like nine cards, so you pretty much have the initiative advantage. With your last leader drop a woods on top of your animal swarm. Then next turn with your first leader drop one on someone you want to kill, them on your next card teleport the amimal swarm. If it doesn't kill it it ties it up for a few turns.

Tembrithil - 996 points

Troop 1
King Thelanor Anenfel
Faun x 8
Oakhearth Warden x 4

Troop 2
Talathlan, Ranger
Book of Tactics
Magic Ranged Weapon
Faun x 3
Hunting Cat

Troop 3
Talathlan, Ranger
Faun x 3
Magic Ranged Weapon
Hunting Cat

Troop 4
Galdanoth, Sniper
Magic Weapon

Troop 5
Owlbear x 3

Troop 6
Faun x 3
Talathlan, Ranger
Magic Ranged Weapon
Hunting Cat

Troop 7
Talathlan, Ranger
Faun x 3
Magic Ranged Weapon
Hunting Cat

It's Dwarfs not Dwarves. 1500+ Warlord Armies: Dwarfs, Elves, Mercs, Reven, Goblins, Lupines, Sisters, "To be is to do"-Socrates "To do is to be"-Sartre "Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da" - Sting "Scooby Dooby Do"-Scooby Do "Yaba Daba Doo"-Fred Flintstone

#19 Stubbdog

Stubbdog

Obssessive Over-Analyzer

• Bones Supporter
  • 6979 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

The negative comments aside, I might not post in this thread as much, but I do play this faction in my regular rotation and have a winning record with them.  I thoroughly enjoy playing with them when I do.

I think they dont get as much play because they have so many models from the original elf faction included with them.  And I agree that I would have preferred that not to have been, but even I did not get what I wanted all the time.  

#20 rgtriplec

rgtriplec

Godlike

• Members
  • 1921 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:29 PM

I agree about the models.

I think people want a regular archer soldier, i think short range and centaurs are viewed as cool alternatives, but a bread and butter archer that is more "typical" of elves was needed. To most range is to be able attack stuff that is a great distance away, half the models in the game can charge 9-12".

They have casters but other than the king no one is top notch. The protector is pretty good but the others either aren't that good or aren't offensive enough to make investing in them worth it. Granted, Icingsted is short ranged and not real heavy in magic, but they are monster and giant rich, which is their big draw.

The list was not very popular when it came out in the 1st edition, but one of the things that gave people a little incentive to play it was that it had a dragon. Its fine the dragon was dropped but nothing of equal worth was given back. Something cool and original like a Giant White Elk for the King to ride, and then have Hart cav would have been cool.

The ents are cool but like I said that needed to be fleshed out with a couple more models.

The beastman woodcutters have always been less popular than bulls, orcs, ogres or goblins in Reven lists. So, satyres and fauns probably aren't much of a draw either. When we were playtesting my nephew and his friend said, to them the satyres always seemed too much like woodcutters and in Warlord fluff the race of Goatmen hated trees.

I think players don't understand the list and the synergy, this is probably the fastest overall army in the game. They have 12 models that mov7+ and 15 with ranger, then with the abilty to create woods and move through without penalty. They are super fast, but using speed is a hard tactic for some people. Having Swift or Rush on a couple models would have helped.

I think the list is a lot more dependent on utilizing the synergy of the army in a certain way than other lists. Like you need really need to take advantage of FAs and WAs, utilize woods, speed and ranger. I think it has a higher learning curve than most armies. I think it and the Lupines have the hardest learning curve, because they really need to be played certain ways.

It's Dwarfs not Dwarves. 1500+ Warlord Armies: Dwarfs, Elves, Mercs, Reven, Goblins, Lupines, Sisters, "To be is to do"-Socrates "To do is to be"-Sartre "Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da" - Sting "Scooby Dooby Do"-Scooby Do "Yaba Daba Doo"-Fred Flintstone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users