53 replies to this topic

#46 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

The Big Boner

• Bones Supporter
  • 2483 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:01 PM

I can't find my copy of Savage North... :(
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

#47 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 6250 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:56 AM

I can't find my copy of Savage North... :(

Sorry.  I ordered one for me and one for my friend as an early Christmas gift, which is really rotten on my part.  Talk about ulterior motives....

A miniature venture of mine: http://www.cauldronbornminiatures.com

#48 misterc

misterc

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:52 AM

Heh, we've all done it, I got two copies too.

Talking of Savage North, I was looking through and seeing what eh special abilities do, but couldn't find Vampire (as for some of the gnolls).  Do I need the earlier rulebook for this?

#49 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 6250 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:45 AM

I haven't got my copies yet, but ALL the special abilities from Warlord and Savage North are supposed to be in Savage North.  Right now, as a teaser, I'm constructing forces for Icingstead on the reapergames armybuilder.  After you build the army, when you output it, all the SAs for your force are put on paper.  Really helpful tool for playing the game, or just daydreaming.

#50 misterc

misterc

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:22 AM

Thanks for that ::D:

Any C&C on my suggested small force?

Edited by misterc, 15 November 2013 - 04:23 AM.

#51 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 6250 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:21 AM

And now the books have arrived, I'm ready to go  ::D:

I notice that most of the advice is geared towards 1000 pt warbands.  To begin with I guess I will be aiming for something smaller, around 500pts.  This means its easier to get the warband ready, and two shorter games will give more learning experiences than one longer one (that's the theory...)

So, any suggestions for smaller warbands?

My initial idea was

Hrodash, 2 black orc hunters, black orc marauder, 1 goblin sticker, 2 goblin stingers, 2 goblin swarmers and Gnax = 243

Boneflayer, 2 gnoll raiders, gnoll reaver, Venomspite = 208

3 hyenas = 51

No real thoughts to tactics with this lot, just what I have to hand and painted (Bones with a few D&D minis)

C&C welcome

This is a perfect starting point.  Play a few games and learn the rules and the SAs.  That's the way to ease in.  After you get the hang of it, and start adding different troops and combos, you learn the synergies, and then it gets deeper.  If you have a blast, with your bones and some D&D minis, you may end up building more forces.  It's a slippery slope.

#52 misterc

misterc

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:20 AM

A slippery slope indeed.  I spent too long yesterday playing with the army builder and rooting through old boxes of minis.  Guess I'm hooked ::D:

Now if only I didn't have so much stuff to paint....

• joshuaslater likes this

#53 JeffyBaby

JeffyBaby

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:08 PM

I recommend a gentlemen's agreement with your opponent to avoid Warlords and >100 point Solos/Monsters at the 500 point game level. They are not balanced for such a low point army. The army you posted is a great starting point and will allow you to practice all the combat types and several SAs.

#54 misterc

misterc

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:55 AM

::D:Thanks for al the replies and help. This is a very friendly forum indeed.

I hope to get a few games in before Christmas, that should give me a better idea where to go with things.

Presumably there is no problem collecting models and using them for either Reven or Kargir, depending on the style of game?  The proxy rule seem to suggest this (as long as it is clear to my opponent).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users