So, how dead is this game??

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#16 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 14786 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:17 AM

Reaper really isn't dedicated to making minis and games. They make minis for games. Any games they put out are really to help support the minis sales. Reaper really doesn't have a bunch of guys. They have a small day to day staff, and they all wear a couple dozen hats. One guy, Gus, does Warlord. There's a pretty dedicated group of playtesters that help, but really, it's not like Reaper has an army of staff available to devote solely to game development. They have staff available, that can, when they are done casting, shipping, packing, working with distributors, sculptors, etc lend a hand.

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#17 sethohman

sethohman

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1901 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:41 AM

While that may be true, they announced 3 years ago that this was coming.

Mike

I hope never to be a giraffe named Marius in Denmark.

#18 kristof65

kristof65

Captain of the Sky Pirates

• Bones Supporter
  • 6723 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:51 PM

But wasn't that right before Gus was hired to take over games development?

Because I've noticed that since Gus was hired, the development team has been much, much more reluctant to tell us what's coming down the pipeline. Probably to avoid this exact situation...

My Blog - Warming: May be political

Please check out my wife's Stained Glass page:
KAH Designs

[font="'comic sans ms', cursive;"]Member of the ReaperBryan Fan Club.[/font]

#19 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

CareBear

• Bones Supporter
  • 6497 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:33 PM

Posted Today, 11:41 AM

"While that may be true, they announced 3 years ago that this was coming."

It's the first, and very painful lesson in the rough and tumble world of miniatures:

Never announce anything unitl it is in hand.

The second lesson is that no matter what you do, someone will complain about it not happening fast enough.

You should check out the reading on Hasslefree Miniatures website on everything you need to do to get a miniatures company off the ground or maybe ask Tre Manor how much blood, sweat and tears it took for his little range over at Red Box to get going.

That's just getting the miniatures done!! A game is even more time and money, which no one seems to have right now.
A miniature venture of mine: http://www.cauldronbornminiatures.com

#20 rgtriplec

rgtriplec

Godlike

• Members
  • 1921 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:41 AM

It might be a donut, because the WWII market seems to have several popular games that have sprung up since ROTD was started. I know they play 3-4 at the two FLGS I visit. I think if they made a really nice Beta rules set and offered it as a free download, like how Pulp City and WarmachineMK2 have done, it could do really well.

The different scale of the figures is a problem though.
It's Dwarfs not Dwarves. 1500+ Warlord Armies: Dwarfs, Elves, Mercs, Reven, Goblins, Lupines, Sisters, "To be is to do"-Socrates "To do is to be"-Sartre "Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da" - Sting "Scooby Dooby Do"-Scooby Do "Yaba Daba Doo"-Fred Flintstone

#21 psyberwolfe1

psyberwolfe1

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2241 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:02 PM

The figure scale is zero problem. They look great next to my other 28mm WWII stuff.

The problem is that this game is unfortunately DOA (pardon the pun). Even if they manage to get rules out the differently packaged blisters have caused confusion. The initial excitement vanished when the figures turned up sans rules. Rule one about Reaper is they are a figure company first, and everything else is an after thought. Don't get me wrong I love RAGE games, but Reaper is a figure company not a game company.

2014 Painting Goal: 6 Figures/ 36 Painted as of 01/22/2014

For other Wargame and miniature related stuff you can read my blog at http://tacticalrock.blogspot.com

Does anybody else find it odd, by the way, that the information age has led to language becoming an oblique and imprecise tool where even the most straightforward phrasing is pored over with chicken entrails and bone tossing to divine the true meaning?

... nobody remembers Slave Leia because, "Oh my gosh! What innovative use of bronze."

Meep.jpg

#22 rgtriplec

rgtriplec

Godlike

• Members
  • 1921 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:48 AM

The figure scale is zero problem. They look great next to my other 28mm WWII stuff.

I think scale matters, there is a noticeable difference.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The funny thing is all the puny guys are a dollar more.
It's Dwarfs not Dwarves. 1500+ Warlord Armies: Dwarfs, Elves, Mercs, Reven, Goblins, Lupines, Sisters, "To be is to do"-Socrates "To do is to be"-Sartre "Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da" - Sting "Scooby Dooby Do"-Scooby Do "Yaba Daba Doo"-Fred Flintstone

#23 Sergeant_Crunch

Sergeant_Crunch

God of Overly Complex Tactics and Tactical Errors

• Members
  • 9345 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:04 PM

Pardon the pessimism, but I think "stillborn" is more accurate.

I'm not so sure I'd want to get hit by a missile with a "dog brain" AI.
My blog:  http://scsminimadness.blogspot.com/

#24 herzogbrian

herzogbrian

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:28 AM

Pardon the pessimism, but I think "stillborn" is more accurate.

I think 'stillborn' would imply that it was actually released. It is too bad, it was a great idea that, sadly, would likely be a waste of time and resources to finish now as it totally missed the peak release time, IMHO.
If you are not part of the solution... You're part of the precipitate.

#25 Stubbdog

Stubbdog

Obssessive Over-Analyzer

• Bones Supporter
  • 6979 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:28 AM

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at ReaperCon related to ROTD...

#26 Bumble_B

Bumble_B

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:12 AM

Don't taunt me devil man!
Vode An

#27 armydillo978

armydillo978

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:14 AM

Don't taunt me devil man!

Yeah....no teasing. We had bones dangled before us.....before.....we want the meat of the game.
Armydillo978@gmail.com

#28 Stubbdog

Stubbdog

Obssessive Over-Analyzer

• Bones Supporter
  • 6979 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:17 AM

All I can say is, a LOT of playtesting has been happening over the last few months. I know that they will be giving demos at RCon. But, I am on the Warlord side, not the ROTD side so I cant say more than that.

#29 Bumble_B

Bumble_B

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:26 AM

All I can say is, a LOT of playtesting has been happening over the last few months. I know that they will be giving demos at RCon. But, I am on the Warlord side, not the ROTD side so I cant say more than that.

Demos are a good move forward. Just trying out something at Reapercon puts a smile on my face!
Vode An

#30 Castlebuilder

Castlebuilder

The Dungeon Builder

• Bones Supporter
  • 2032 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:15 PM

Muahahahahaha. Stubbdog is giving away my secret. My buddy Outek and I have been doing stuff with Riech since last summer. Since December we have gone crazy working on it and playtesting stuff. ReaperCon will be our demo of what we have done and our presentation to Reaper to see if they like our ideas. Things aren't perfect yet, but we are working on it. If anybody has time to run some playtests for me, drop me a PM.

Please note, this is an independent project at this point. If you call Reaper to ask about it you won't get any answers. Ed Pugh does know about what we are doing and we have discussed it, but there are no guarantees at this stage. I understand everyone's frustrations and this is probably not enough to satisfy everyone, but it is what it is.
"I forgot about the gods and spun my own bright fate, while at the root of life the three spinners laughed." Bernard Cornwell, Lords of the North

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users