papabees

6mm - 1/300th Sci fi

So I've got an itch to get some 6mm stuff again and play some larger battles and was wondering if those of you that have been getting some models lately could recommend some lines that will be consistent in size with one another. I can find little that shows the actual size of some of these models and I just don't want the tanks on the different sides to be wildly out of scale with each other. It seems that all 6mm are not created equal. Any help would be appreciated.

You are quite spoiled for choice these days with 6mm scifi. Generally, some are a bit larger than others, but in a scifi setting, these things can be explained away by simply calling them "heavy" tanks, or making it characteristic of a particular race to have larger vehicles.

With that being said, some manufacturers do fit better with eachother than others. Brigade Models (UK company), Ground Zero Games (UK company), and Plasmablast Games (Greek company) all fit well with one another size-wise, and all tend to be on the "smaller" end of the spectrum. Some of their vehicles are large, but if they are, they will be noted as being "heavy" tanks or some such. On a side note, I have ordered from all of these companies and they all have great product and good customer service.

For the larger end of the spectrum we have Steel Crown Productions (UK company) Exodus Wars line, Dark Realm Miniatures (UK Company), Game Workshop Epic, Battletech (I think its 6mm), and a small but soon to be growing line from MicroWorld Games (full disclosure, I own and operate MicroWorld out of the US). In the case of Dark Realm though, you will find that the lighter tanks tend to match exactly with the regular MBT's of the smaller spectrum companies listed above. For my own part, my stuff is a little bigger only because the designer made them that way, and I think sometimes armor looks a bit small to actually realistically fit 6mm humans into it.

Other companies that will be releasing stuff soon are Rebel Minis and Spartan Games (Firestorm Invasion). I can't speak to the Spartan stuff, but I'm sure the Rebel stuff will likely match better with the "smaller" spectrum.

Late tonight I should get some free time, I will snap an overhead shot of my stuff next to Brigade, GZG, Plasmablast, and Dark Realm stuff.

Thing about scale is, you can buy something that looks "right" and call it whatever you want. But for Battletech, although the range is nominally 1/285 scale, for all practical purposes there is no way it really is. I put a 25t Hunter light tank next to a moder M60A1 medium tank (around 52t) and the Hunter is twice the size. Even a suit of battle armor is taller than an M60 tank! While some of that can be explained away as being "SF" it sort of breaks suspension of disbelief. This is why I think Battletech is closer to 1/220 scale than 1/285...

Damon, YMMV.

Thing about scale is, you can buy something that looks "right" and call it whatever you want. But for Battletech, although the range is nominally 1/285 scale, for all practical purposes there is no way it really is. I put a 25t Hunter light tank next to a moder M60A1 medium tank (around 52t) and the Hunter is twice the size. Even a suit of battle armor is taller than an M60 tank! While some of that can be explained away as being "SF" it sort of breaks suspension of disbelief. This is why I think Battletech is closer to 1/220 scale than 1/285...

Damon, YMMV.

Right. That's what I mean. I found a number of models that look cool but I want to make sure they pass the eye test on the table and look reasonable. It sounds like from the post above there are a few manufacturers that I had not found yet so I will check them out.

You are quite spoiled for choice these days with 6mm scifi. Generally, some are a bit larger than others, but in a scifi setting, these things can be explained away by simply calling them "heavy" tanks, or making it characteristic of a particular race to have larger vehicles.

With that being said, some manufacturers do fit better with eachother than others. Brigade Models (UK company), Ground Zero Games (UK company), and Plasmablast Games (Greek company) all fit well with one another size-wise, and all tend to be on the "smaller" end of the spectrum. Some of their vehicles are large, but if they are, they will be noted as being "heavy" tanks or some such. On a side note, I have ordered from all of these companies and they all have great product and good customer service.

For the larger end of the spectrum we have Steel Crown Productions (UK company) Exodus Wars line, Dark Realm Miniatures (UK Company), Game Workshop Epic, Battletech (I think its 6mm), and a small but soon to be growing line from MicroWorld Games (full disclosure, I own and operate MicroWorld out of the US). In the case of Dark Realm though, you will find that the lighter tanks tend to match exactly with the regular MBT's of the smaller spectrum companies listed above. For my own part, my stuff is a little bigger only because the designer made them that way, and I think sometimes armor looks a bit small to actually realistically fit 6mm humans into it.

Other companies that will be releasing stuff soon are Rebel Minis and Spartan Games (Firestorm Invasion). I can't speak to the Spartan stuff, but I'm sure the Rebel stuff will likely match better with the "smaller" spectrum.

Late tonight I should get some free time, I will snap an overhead shot of my stuff next to Brigade, GZG, Plasmablast, and Dark Realm stuff.

Very cool I'd appreciate the pictures. Do you happen to know if there is a US distributor for Exodus Wars?

Thanks for the info despot, papabees not the only one who found it useful.

I have another 6mm related question - does anyone manufacture any 6mm humans in power armor that somewhat resemble Reaper's Nova Corp figures? I like to build both 28mm and 6mm versions of my armies, and now that I'm finishing up with the 28mm version, it's time to direct my attention to the 6mm guys.

I know Chaos Orc has some stock left, but nothing new, and I don't think they plan to carry it anymore once the current stock is sold. I know the owner of Steel Crown is active over on the tactical command forums, people don't seem to have too much trouble ordering direct.

Ok, I apologize for the crappy pics, I'll try to get my dark realm stuff out and get more pictures next week.

IMG_0251.jpg

Above we have (left to right) a GZG heavy tank (either a ganymede or andromeda hull, they are all about the same size with he demos being a but smaller), MicroWorld Kilgore Heavy tank, Brigade Models SAC Rhino MBT, and a MicroWorld Pilgrim IFV

IMG_0248.jpg

Above we have from left to right: Brigade Eurofed Gamelin tank, MicroWorld Trout MBT, Brigade Pacfed Cougar MBT hull (AA turret), Plasmablast medium tank, Brigade Eurofed LAV thing.

IMG_0249.jpg

Above left to right: Brigade tank, Microworld MBT, Brigade cougar hull, Plasmablast medium, Brigade LAV, Plasmablast light, GZG rattlesnake GEV, and GZG Puma grav tank

IMG_0253.jpg

The above is just some more comparisons of heavy and medium tanks.

Ok, I apologize for the crappy pics, I'll try to get my dark realm stuff out and get more pictures next week.

IMG_0251.jpg

Above we have (left to right) a GZG heavy tank (either a ganymede or andromeda hull, they are all about the same size with he demos being a but smaller), MicroWorld Kilgore Heavy tank, Brigade Models SAC Rhino MBT, and a MicroWorld Pilgrim IFV

IMG_0248.jpg

Above we have from left to right: Brigade Eurofed Gamelin tank, MicroWorld Trout MBT, Brigade Pacfed Cougar MBT hull (AA turret), Plasmablast medium tank, Brigade Eurofed LAV thing.

IMG_0249.jpg

Above left to right: Brigade tank, Microworld MBT, Brigade cougar hull, Plasmablast medium, Brigade LAV, Plasmablast light, GZG rattlesnake GEV, and GZG Puma grav tank

IMG_0253.jpg

The above is just some more comparisons of heavy and medium tanks.

Thanks for the pics. I have a number of Btech vehicle minis so I'm probably going to need to go with the lrger models based on these pics. That large GZG tank seems like it would work.

OK, one more question for you. If I wanted to get a few modern models (Abrams, Challenger, Bradley, etc) do you know of a manufacturer that scales well with the larger side of the 6mm figs?

I think that you need to register to see the pictures, but check out this thread:

http://www.darkrealmminiatures.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70

I will try to mirror the pictures if you like, as this forum wont allow me to upload directly.

Well crud. I tried to register and the Admin has registration blocked right now. If there was a way to mirror them that would be cool.