Yukon Cornelius

The Time Is Now! (a humble plea)

58 posts in this topic

I've been a fan of Reaper Miniatures for a long time. When I got back into gaming about ten years ago, one of the first things I did was purchase a ton of Reaper minis, because I wanted figures for my game, and Reaper had the best sculpts out there. Almost all of them are still sitting, unpainted, in boxes in my basement. I love them, but I just don't have the time or the talent (mostly the time) to paint.

So, when WOTC came out with the D&D miniatures line, I jumped on board. I put up with the random packaging, the less-detailed sculpts, and the sometimes (often) disappointing paint jobs, because it meant I could do something I hadn't been able to do before: field a lot of finished-looking figures. My spending changed, and WOTC got an obscene amount of my hard-earned money.

Now, D&D Minis are on life support. Drastic changes in packaging and distribution, followed by no new product in their catalog for well into next year, leads me to believe that their day is done (and I'm not alone.) Those of us who were looking to Heroscape as a substitute just found out about that game's cancellation. In fact, it seems that the future of WOTC miniatures now lies in sets of cardboard tokens (shudder!)

All of which presents Reaper with a HUGE opportunity. The market is out there. There are lots of potential customers waiting for a good, reliable source of quality pre-painted miniatures. But right now, there's not one out there. Sadly, not even Reaper.

You've got the quality part covered. The sculpts are the same, highly detailed stuff we've come to expect from Reaper. The paint jobs (with only the earliest figures being exceptions) are excellent. But the wait between releases has been torturous, and after two (three?) years, we only have a comparative handful of figures to show for all our patience.

My point is this: Your products are great. The customers are out there. So please, please, PLEASE give the Legendary Encounters line the support and attention it needs to thrive.

I don't pretend to know all (or any, really) of the difficulties involved in producing plastic figures, and I'm not dumb or arrogant enough to believe that I can tell you about how to run your business. But to the layman, it seems like the hardest part is behind you. The production process has been established. The sculpts already exist. Distribution channels are already in place. Those of us who know the figures exist think they're great. And you have a large potential market just waiting to be tapped. It's hard to understand why the releases are so few, so scattered, and so seemingly unsupported.

I, for one, want to give you my money. There are others who would like to give you their money, too, and more still who would gladly do the same for a product with regular releases and adequate marketing. Please don't let us down!

We've got another launch of 4 new Models coming (and in previews for your enjoyment) and another batch planned already.

We've had occasional problems, the details of which i will not bore you with, but rest assured, we're taking the Asylum Legendary Encounters brand very seriously for 2011.

And by seriously, I mean that we're trying to have fun letting you have fun.

I've been a fan of Reaper Miniatures for a long time. When I got back into gaming about ten years ago, one of the first things I did was purchase a ton of Reaper minis, because I wanted figures for my game, and Reaper had the best sculpts out there. Almost all of them are still sitting, unpainted, in boxes in my basement. I love them, but I just don't have the time or the talent (mostly the time) to paint.

So, when WOTC came out with the D&D miniatures line, I jumped on board. I put up with the random packaging, the less-detailed sculpts, and the sometimes (often) disappointing paint jobs, because it meant I could do something I hadn't been able to do before: field a lot of finished-looking figures. My spending changed, and WOTC got an obscene amount of my hard-earned money.

Now, D&D Minis are on life support. Drastic changes in packaging and distribution, followed by no new product in their catalog for well into next year, leads me to believe that their day is done (and I'm not alone.) Those of us who were looking to Heroscape as a substitute just found out about that game's cancellation. In fact, it seems that the future of WOTC miniatures now lies in sets of cardboard tokens (shudder!)

All of which presents Reaper with a HUGE opportunity. The market is out there. There are lots of potential customers waiting for a good, reliable source of quality pre-painted miniatures. But right now, there's not one out there. Sadly, not even Reaper.

You've got the quality part covered. The sculpts are the same, highly detailed stuff we've come to expect from Reaper. The paint jobs (with only the earliest figures being exceptions) are excellent. But the wait between releases has been torturous, and after two (three?) years, we only have a comparative handful of figures to show for all our patience.

My point is this: Your products are great. The customers are out there. So please, please, PLEASE give the Legendary Encounters line the support and attention it needs to thrive.

I don't pretend to know all (or any, really) of the difficulties involved in producing plastic figures, and I'm not dumb or arrogant enough to believe that I can tell you about how to run your business. But to the layman, it seems like the hardest part is behind you. The production process has been established. The sculpts already exist. Distribution channels are already in place. Those of us who know the figures exist think they're great. And you have a large potential market just waiting to be tapped. It's hard to understand why the releases are so few, so scattered, and so seemingly unsupported.

I, for one, want to give you my money. There are others who would like to give you their money, too, and more still who would gladly do the same for a product with regular releases and adequate marketing. Please don't let us down!

Yukon, your post is a near xerox of my own experiences. I love Reaper minis as well, but I've been buying booster packs and singles on ebay instead (only picking up the occasional mini here and there). I heard about Heroscape (I own several sets of those as well) and I've been thinking the same thing about the regular D&D line--it's on the ropes!

Worse, I'm a sci-fi fan too, and Star Wars was booted earlier this year. There's nobody out there to pick up the slack in that genre at all. It's wide open.

I'll second your plea--Reaper: there's a want and a need!

Here's hoping it can happen.

Yukon, your post is a near xerox of my own experiences. I love Reaper minis as well, but I've been buying booster packs and singles on ebay instead (only picking up the occasional mini here and there). I heard about Heroscape (I own several sets of those as well) and I've been thinking the same thing about the regular D&D line--it's on the ropes!

Worse, I'm a sci-fi fan too, and Star Wars was booted earlier this year. There's nobody out there to pick up the slack in that genre at all. It's wide open.

I totally agree....they could focus on key monsters like Giants and Ogres and trolls as opposed to jsut the few they offer. They would bury WOTC

Agreed, there's people out here, including people like me, who are certainly happy to part with the cash as soon as the goods get announced, as I have done to date. I also regularly visit the Reaper site for news and wonder why it's so long between batches. I know the details that have been posted over time, but I still wonder.

Bottom line is, it takes 3-4 months to get stuff in once we order it and a large chunk of cash to place the order.

We are moving as fast as we can without going broke doing it.

There are four models being manufactured right now that should be here in late Dec early Jan, plus two restocks of existing models. And, I've got another 6 new models I am forced to wait to pull the trigger on, but it is moving.

After that, I have more restocks to get in the queue and then start the whole new release ordering process again.

If I had my wish I would be ordering 10 new minis a month, but that isn't in the cards yet. Someday!

Bottom line is, it takes 3-4 months to get stuff in once we order it and a large chunk of cash to place the order.

We are moving as fast as we can without going broke doing it.

There are four models being manufactured right now that should be here in late Dec early Jan, plus two restocks of existing models. And, I've got another 6 new models I am forced to wait to pull the trigger on, but it is moving.

After that, I have more restocks to get in the queue and then start the whole new release ordering process again.

If I had my wish I would be ordering 10 new minis a month, but that isn't in the cards yet. Someday!

Right there with the cash as soon as you let me!

I know it's hard to wait for more product, but there is a silver lining in Clark's words:

<snip>plus two restocks of existing models. <snip> After that, I have more restocks to get in the queue<snip>

The fact that they've been making lots of restocks means the stuff's been selling - which bodes well for the future of the line, even if releases are a bit slow.

The restocks are awesome news, as are the new releases. I'd just hate to see the line suffer because of a perceived lack of support or interest on the part of Reaper. I know there's only so much you can say about a release of 4-5 figures, but there are lots of other things you can do to generate excitement. For example, since each reorder gets a new paint job, each paint job is effectively a limited edition. That's a pretty big selling point that hasn't really been highlighted. I remember reading a while back that there were something like 100 sculpts that were selected to be part of the line eventually. It would be cool to see them so we could speculate (or even vote) on which ones are next. If it's going to be 6 months between releases, there has to be something to hold interest and fill the time, or people will forget the minis are out there (as, admittedly, I sometimes have).

...since each reorder gets a new paint job, each paint job is effectively a limited edition.

Not advertising this fact is intentional.

We do not want our plastic minis to be perceived as "collectible." Other than being temporarily out of stock they are all available all of the time. The only reason we are doing different colors is so that if you buy a bunch of them, they don't all have to be identical.

...like 100 sculpts that were selected to be part of the line eventually. It would be cool to see them...

We did this early on and found the problem with that idea is that not everything translates to plastic for a reasonable price. So, some of the models we had posted as "coming in the future" will never happen. We think it is better to hold off showing what is coming up until we have a quote and have actually taken action to start the production.

It has been a long journey so far, and we hope to keep making advancements and build on this line as much as possible as quickly as possible.

If it's going to be 6 months between releases, there has to be something to hold interest and fill the time, or people will forget the minis are out there (as, admittedly, I sometimes have).

Something to consider - most people buy miniatures because they are new/latest & greatest, or because they need them for a particular reason. With collectible minis such as the DDM, you pretty much have to buy them when they first come out or shortly thereafter, because they may not be available when you actually need them. In order to keep the excitement going for the line, frequent new releases are a necessity.

Since the Legendary Encounters line isn't collectible, you don't really need that frequent new release frenzy to keep the line selling, just steady growth of the line. It would be great if they could do larger, more frequent releases, but keep in mind that the goal here is for this to be a line with long term availability similar to the DHL or Chronoscope lines, not a series of miniatures where sales are driven by limiting availability.

The current slow process of new releases, while maddening to the impatient among us (myself included), is most likely the result of balancing limited capital against long term viability of the line - slow and steady wins the race, in this case. It's better for Reaper to play things a bit on the cautious and slow side than it is to overextend themselves, get into trouble, and bring the LE line, or even their whole operation to ruins.

In other words, even if you do forget the miniatures are out there, and a new release has been made, they'll still be there when you do remember.

We do not want our plastic minis to be perceived as "collectible." Other than being temporarily out of stock they are all available all of the time. The only reason we are doing different colors is so that if you buy a bunch of them, they don't all have to be identical.

This is the reason I avoid WOTC plastic minis. The idea of paying $15+ for a box and opening it to find not a single mini I wanted or even like bothers me. If I want a certain mini, that's the one I want to buy, having to buy 3-4 boxes to get a good minis is stupid. All WOTC minis I bought, were from ebay and there isn't many.

I totally agree....they could focus on key monsters like Giants and Ogres and trolls as opposed to jsut the few they offer. They would bury WOTC

I have this image of Ed and Bryan devouring wings and gleefully cackling over this. The conversation is along the lines of Pinky and the Brain. What are going to do today Ed?

Ed replies, "The same thing we do every day, try and take over the world of prepainted plastic miniatures. MWAHAHAHAHA!"