Sign in to follow this  
kristof65

Kristof's Second Semi-Regular Conversion Mini Exchange

Kristof's Second Semi-Regular Conversion Exchange

This one is for the sculptors and conversion lovers among us. Instead of exchanging fully painted miniatures, this one is going to concentrate on the conversion process – taking a stock figure and customizing it in some way, then sending it on to your recipient to see how they interpret and paint your conversion.

In most respects, this will work just like the frequent paint exchanges we have around here, but there are some differences, outlined below. For the most part, it's running exactly the same as my earlier conversion exchange.

1. What is a conversion? For the purposes of this exchange, a conversion is taking a stock mini and modifying it in some way by use of weapon/head/limb swaps, using green stuff/putty/extra "parts" to add features, removing and re-sculpting a portion of the miniature and/or building a "new" miniature by combining different stock parts. There are several good articles out there on conversions, including The Craft section of Reaper's website http://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft For inspiration, I recommend searching for Froggy the Great's posts here in the forum, as he is probably the king of them around here.

2. Skill Levels: Forgive me a moment while I ramble. Like painting, not everyone around here has the same skill level when it comes to conversions/sculpting. This is ok, we all have our strengths. And like painting, this is something that most people can get better with by practicing. But I think that many people find attempting a conversion to be more intimidating than they find painting. Besides wanting an excuse to do another conversion myself, I'm organizing this exchange to encourage people to attempt conversions, because I think it's a great way to personalize a miniature – even if your painting skills aren't that great, you might discover that you have a knack for conversions.

I really want to encourage people of all skill levels to participate. Don't be intimidated if you feel you don't have the skills – just do your best. For those of you who do have the skill, please think of this as an opportunity to provide positive feedback and encouragement for someone getting started.

3. Because Reaper are our hosts here, I'd like to be respectful to them and their bandwidth, so we should keep the focus on Reaper minis. Therefore at least 33% of the finished conversion should consist of Reaper parts.

4. So that participants can observe others conversion work first hand, "finished" miniatures will be sent to the recipient unpainted/unprimed. The miniature should be prepped and ready for primer upon receipt. Either the sender or recipient should post photos of the conversion here. Some of you may be a little nervous about sending out an unpainted miniature – don't be. I'm well aware that conversions can look a little rough. Almost all converted minis look half finished. It's not about sending out a perfect piece, but honing our conversion skills, while sharing our techniques/ideas and finally, seeing how someone else interprets them with paint.

5. The exchange consists of two phases – Phase 1 is the actual exchange, while Phase 2 consists of the recipient painting up the converted miniature and posting pics of it finished. If you sign up and fail to complete Phase 1, I will publically shame you here on the forums and probably not allow you to participate in any of my future exchanges. Phase 2 I'll leave on the honor system, although I do encourage everyone to participate in it. I will try and match participants based on past performance in Phase 2.

6. Basing: Recipients will actually be the ones painting up the miniature, and not everyone likes to have a base attached while painting, on the other hand, basing can be a large part of the character of a conversion. Therefore I'll be asking each participant to indicate their basing preferences and match accordingly. If the recipient prefers no attached base, a base can still be sent, it should just be shipped unattached.

7. Theme: this is the biggest divergence from my earlier exchange. Based on that one, I don't see any need to limit the themes to something like a Warlord army. If you have particular tastes in miniatures you create/receive, just indicate on your PM to me.

8. Number of participants: Like the paint exchanges, I'm going to cap this at 25 participants. I don't expect we'll reach that cap as quickly as the paint exchanges, if at all. If we do, I'll reassess the cap.

9. Time frame: Assignments will be given out no later than Jan 2nd. You then have until Feb 28th to complete your conversion and send it on to your assigned recipient. For Phase 2, I ask that everyone get their received mini painted up by Apr 30th.

10. I will not be accepting forum members into the exchange who haven't been regular contributors here for at 6 months and/or a 100 posts. A previous exchange coordinator vouching for you is ok, too. Don't worry if you've been here awhile but don't post much - I've been around here long enough that I recognize a lot of names. This is not to offend new forum members, nor defame them in any way - it's just that after speaking with other exchange coordinators, I've learned it's hard enough sometimes to get forum regulars to follow through, let alone worry about new comers whom no one here "knows". For those of you who are lurkers here now and might want to participate in my next one, please sign up today, introduce yourself and become an active part of our community.

If you want to participate, PM me with the following info:

Your Name

Your Address

Whether or not you are willing to ship to a foreign country

(Optional) Your Phone Number

(Optional) What theme(s) you prefer to convert for

(Optional) What theme(s) you prefer to receive

(Optional) Whether or not you mind an attached base

Not to dwell on the unpleasant stuff, but I'd like to re-emphasize this – if you can't/won't follow through, please don't sign up. Like Shakandara and Greyhorde (whose posts I shamelessly plundered – Thanks Vince and Dave!), I understand that sometimes exchanges end up being late, but let's make our goal that everyone receives their exchange by the due date. If you are running late, please either post so in this thread or PM me. For any reason should someone fail to deliver on their assignment, I will see to it that the shafted recipient receives a converted mini. Know that if you fail to deliver as promised, I will publicly shame you on the forums.

Anyway, let's have fun, and happy converting!

~ Chris

PMs Received

1. BlueWeasel

2. Zinzig

3. Humansquish

4. Feanor

5. Froggy the Great

6. WizardOne

7. Ajii

8. Herzogbrian

9. Mercoutlaw

10. Kristof65

11. Warlordgarou

12. Sethoman

13. Anne

...Closed...

Working on assignments now...

So, we had a real rush of participants there in the first 24 hours, then nothing for the past five days. Does that mean we're going to get all we can get?

I hate to hold this open for the rest of the month if no one else is going to sign up, otoh, I like to maximize people's chance to participate. What do you guys think? Hold it open as originally planned, or set a new sign up date and close it early?

So, we had a real rush of participants there in the first 24 hours, then nothing for the past five days. Does that mean we're going to get all we can get?

I hate to hold this open for the rest of the month if no one else is going to sign up, otoh, I like to maximize people's chance to participate. What do you guys think? Hold it open as originally planned, or set a new sign up date and close it early?

Just saw the post. Count me in!

It's been 1 week, go at least 2, was the original cut-off New Year's Eve? :unsure: I did go back and look and I only found assignment handout of Jan 2nd...

It's been 1 week, go at least 2, was the original cut-off New Year's Eve? unsure.gif I did go back and look and I only found assignment handout of Jan 2nd...

That's what I was thinking originally, though I didn't specifically state it. I pretty much based everything off the timing of my last one, which started right at the end of the month. I knew I'd be off and available to sort out everything over the New Years weekend to send out assignments, which is why I said I'd have assignments out by then.

Now I'm just wondering if the coming holidays will increase possible participation or decrease it. One side tells me more people will be off and browsing the forums, the other side tells me people will be too busy to browse the forums.

If you have time to sort things out New Years weekend I say wait then. You might get more participants and those of us who are participating can enjoy the holidays and not have to worry about this exchange until the new year.

Thanks again for running this.

Its a tough call but I cant see the harm in waiting a bit.

just my two cents