Sign in to follow this  
jdripley

space marines movie

My copy just shipped yesterday (they were having fulfillment issues). I'm looking forward to watching it.

My copy arrived this afternoon and I just finished watching the feature, not the extras. It's pretty fun. $40 is a little high, but you get the 2nd disc of extras, the graphic novel, and it comes in the cool tin case.

Despite basically being a "rookie squad earns their chops" flick, there are a couple of fun twists along the way. The (voice) acting is good and the CGI is decent. The faces are a little polygonal, but heck, they're SPACE MARINES, they supposed to look chiseled! ::P: The characters' motion was pretty smoothly done considering they are wearing huge suits of power armor.

Lotsa fun nods to the 40k/space marine universe (gene seed, chaplain, apothecary, chainswords, flamers, different chapters of SMs). I'd have liked to have seen a dreadnought, but you can't have everything. :;):

I'm not the biggest 40K nut out there, but I could follow along OK. Someone with NO idea about astartes or 40k might have more of a learning curve, but plot-wise it hangs together.

Bottom line: If you like 2 or more of the following:

• Dan Abnett's writing
  • Space Marines
  • Bolters blowing the bejeebus outta things
  • New things with CGI
  • Animated gore and blood

and you're willing to pay $40, then you'll probably enjoy the DVD.

I watched this tonight with my brother. We have both been fans of the Dark Millennium for over 20 years. THe movie was ok. Very short. The marines were not well done as far as writing and attitude. The disparaging remarks directed toward the apothecary were out of character as were all of the questions about the Captain's orders. Don't spend money on it, but do watch it if you know someone who has. I give it a 4 on its merits but considering how crappy it could hav ebeen, I guess it's ok.

My copy arrived this afternoon and I just finished watching the feature, not the extras. It's pretty fun. $40 is a little high, but you get the 2nd disc of extras, the graphic novel, and it comes in the cool tin case.

I live in the UK... the same country as the company making this, and I havent even have confirmation of my copy shipping yet! I paid £8 for postage (a crazy price for domestic shipping) and nothing. Not impressed.

I live in the UK... the same country as the company making this, and I havent even have confirmation of my copy shipping yet! I paid £8 for postage (a crazy price for domestic shipping) and nothing. Not impressed.

I was less than impressed with the shipping snafu as well. I thought they should have refunded the S&H after making me wait an extra week before even shipping the thing when I had pre-oredered it.

@Ranzadule: I dunno. I'm not huge on 40K canon, but I think it was a far more interesting story to have the marines be more "human" in their attitudes than clone-drones. Maybe it's because I'm not so up on the game's fluff that I found the movie more fun. It was fairly short, and I kind of wish the buildup to the action hadn't taken quite so long, but I think for a first attempt at a 40K movie, it was a good effort.

My copy finally arrived this morning.... a dvd in a bubble-bag. It looks like it was sent second-class post but is listed as costing the price I paid for shipping...

Watched it over the weekend. Overall, very cool! Story line was good. Would have liked more shots of the battle cruiser, maybe a cool prolgue and some more POV/ storyline from the Chaos Marines (Black Legion) side of things. Still, enjoyed it very much. It seemed too short, another 20-30 minutes would have really made a difference. My only real critique, the animation was incredible, close ups of the Ultra Marines were uber NICE. However, their movements, at times, seemed stiff and doll-like, especially when they were walking or running... lastly, the pocket sized graphic novel was alright, but just too small. I was really expecting a more standard sized book format.

That's my 2 scents...

BTW: I saw some joker trying to sell his/ hers on e-bay for 500$. Now that's funny. It's worth 50$ (maybe)... :poke:

SK

Bought it, watched it, enjoyed it.

For a fan-made feature length movie made on a shoestring budget* for some of the nitpickiest fans on the planet I'm not going to knock it. Good on them for making a movie and having the endurance to finish it and put it out there. I hope the blokes that incurred all the debt to make it at least recoup their costs.

Only buying will result in these things getting better.

* IIRC they had a 9 million pound ($13.8 million dollars) budget to create the CGI, screenwriting, pay for voice acting, and self-distribute a feature length movie. The 5 minute opening cinematic to Onimusha 3 cost over a million US by itself, the Dawn of War opening cinematic at 2 minutes was several hundred thousand dollars with 'functionally' no voice acting (a handful of words with no need for direction)... just for reference.

My 2 cents.