• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GreyHorde

GreyHorde

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1872 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:32 AM

Early this year I tried Army Painter Quick Shade, Dark Tone on some DHL skeletons. In the first batch, I painted, brushed on QS, brought back some of the highlights and generally fiddled with them until they looked okay before final matte varnish to knock down some of the shine. The second batch was painted with more contrast so QS became an enhancer, rather than neutralizer. With less fiddling and time spent, the results were slightly better. I don't have good pics - main PC is down, so I'm currently working from a laptop. This is a sample pic of one batch:

Attached File  2010-Skeleton Archers.jpg   48.69KB   19 downloads

More recently, while trying a new (for me, anyway, having abandoned my original) color scheme for some WL dwarves, QS made a noticeable difference in speed and quality. Again, I don't have before-and-after pics, but I'm happy with the end result.

Attached File  dip1b.jpg   47.78KB   13 downloads Attached File  dip2b.jpg   47.78KB   7 downloads

One more for the road...this one is a homemade proxy for the Stone Spirit. It's cobbled together from polished craft pebbles, Greenstuff and Apoxie Sculpt. Speed painted and QS applied. Two geek points for you if you can guess the inspiration. :poke:

Attached File  Stoneman.JPG   75.26KB   19 downloads

#2 WizardOne

WizardOne

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:23 AM

One more for the road...this one is a homemade proxy for the Stone Spirit. It's cobbled together from polished craft pebbles, Greenstuff and Apoxie Sculpt. Speed painted and QS applied. Two geek points for you if you can guess the inspiration. :poke:

Attached File  Stoneman.JPG   75.26KB   19 downloads

I channel surfed into the middle of a movie once, it looked like an Aladdin or Sinbad knock-off. Anyway, the protagonist(s) were being pursued across a dune field by a 'Giant' who was composed of boulders. A magically animated heap of boulders. Never found out who/what did the animating. An evil genie or sorceror I suppose. Your rendition reminds me of an Inuit Inukshuk.

Posted Image

Wzrd1

#3 GreyHorde

GreyHorde

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1872 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:00 PM

You're on the right track with the Inuksuk and the giant aspect. Can't say I ever saw that movie, though.

#4 Kengar

Kengar

Godlike

• Members
  • 1100 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:43 PM

I assumed Galaxy Quest :rolleyes:
If there's a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness, then I'm riding a tire swing above it!

48 Orcs in 28 Days

#5 GreyHorde

GreyHorde

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1872 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:30 AM

hah hah I completely forgot about Galaxy Quest. :B): Good guess, but that's not it.

#6 badocter

badocter

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 513 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:26 PM

I can't say I speed painted these (03127 Fallen Elves) as I am new and a bit slow, but they are a good example of the impact that the Quickshade Strong can have. In the top photo, the figure on the right has been dipped and quickshaded already (sorry don't have a before pic of her), while the figure on the left has been painted but has not been Quickshaded yet. Despite how long it took me to paint the one on the left it still does not look good without the Quickshade. The bottom photo shows the final of both figures after the one on the left was also dipped and then both figures based with static grass. The difference is startling and I am very happy with them.

Word of advice - if you have never used Quickshade before, paint one with colors a few shades lighter than what you want the final piece to look like because this product will obviously darken the whole figure. Also, dip-and-shaking the figure on the left eventually bent and almost broke his leg, so I had to brush off some of the excess. You have to shake hard if you use the dip-and-shake method, so for pieces with weak points you will have to shake lightly and dab off the rest of the excess with a brush. Be sure to use a brush with natural bristles as I melted one synthetic brush by accident with Quickshade. For an example of QuickShade Soft, see the Tyree SpellSinger post.
Attached File  fallen elves unfinished front 793x600l.jpg   533.41KB   6 downloads
Attached File  fallen elves final front 760x600.jpg   598.32KB   6 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users