3 replies to this topic

#1 Ferox

Ferox

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:33 AM

I guess this is the first model I've sculpted out of whole cloth... er, putty... except for the base... well, whatever. My Friday-night D&D campaign is developing a rather Lovecraftian theme, and we were supposed to close this damn thing before Christmas. Only problem is, two PCs ran out of healing surges after the penultimate fight and decided to pack it in just because they might have died horrible screaming deaths and had their souls eaten by nameless horrors from beyond the stars, so (a) we left the thing to fester while we went off on a jaunt across the planes, meaning that (b) we never encountered the tentacle pit, leading to © the poor thing languishing on my workbench until a couple days ago. Well, languish no more!

IMG_0777.jpg IMG_0778.jpg

I keep teaching myself things about OSL. In this case, I taught myself that layering thin washes on nightshade purple -- the next best thing to black, really -- is a damn slow way to paint OSL, and I really should've started with high-value highlights and toned them down with washes. Sorta like how I did the zenithal lighting on the tentacles. Oh well, live and learn.

I also learned a whole bunch of things not to do whilst sculpting those tentacles.

Still and all, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out, and even more pleased that it's off my workbench. ::):
Unfinished WIPs: Centurus Clones
Blunt Object - vitriol, motorsports, and beer -- not necessarily in that order
Nerdgasm - gaming is serious business

#2 MamaGeek

MamaGeek

Godlike

• Members
  • 2187 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:08 AM

Nice! Your group will be properly horrified, I'm sure!
Posted Image
Proud Member of WAMP

#3 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

CareBear

• Bones Supporter
  • 6547 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:13 AM

I've gone insane, and will descend into gibberish....grble phlug ptooey...
A miniature venture of mine: http://www.cauldronbornminiatures.com

#4 Beowulfthehunter

Beowulfthehunter

Godlike

• Members
  • 1337 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:24 PM

Insert Japanese school girl joke here!
I paint minis, because it keeps me out of the strip clubs!
My Auctions...I always need money

Proud Member of the Brush Licker's Union Series 7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users