• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cookjimjr

cookjimjr

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 800 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:51 PM

I thought I would share some photos of a mini I did for a private exchange with Mercius. The photos do not do the mini justice due to the background, but Merc liked it in hand. I asked him to take some photos with his grey background, so hopefully we will see those pretty soon and then we all can compare what a background does to your photos. Hope you all like Her. Anyway, Comments and Critique are welcome.

Svjanna the Sinister004.JPG
Svjanna the Sinister009.JPG
Svjanna the Sinister011.JPG
Svjanna the Sinister017.JPG

#2 Mercius

Mercius

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:37 PM

The photos really don't do this justice at all. I will try and take some pics in a few and see what I can do with them.

#3 Mercius

Mercius

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:56 PM

I think these pictures show the details much, much better.

jimsmini1.jpg

jimsmini2.JPG

To say I am pleased to have this mini in my collection is an understatement.

#4 Leader of the Rats

Leader of the Rats

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 283 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:18 PM

I think it looks great. I'm not a fan of tall bases and your's looks like it needs some foilage/fungi, but it's a nice start. I like the cloth, I like to practice freehand on the cloth edges/bottoms, looks like this model could handle a bit, your choice though, looks just as fine without it. Skin tone is perfect for a drow, hair too. Think you could sculpt a few tiny spiders on it somewhere?
Squeek squeelk

#5 vegel

vegel

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:38 AM

yea the tall base seems very fitting, i awlays struggle with using that kind of base coz it will be hard to picture having such structure in real world, but somehow you made it work :)
I like the silky shiny look, love the expression, this mini is a good representation of red box mini, how does it feel while painting it? good smooth surface?

my painting blog
http://51-cent.blogspot.com/

#6 Mercius

Mercius

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1782 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:46 AM

yea the tall base seems very fitting, i awlays struggle with using that kind of base coz it will be hard to picture having such structure in real world, but somehow you made it work :)
I like the silky shiny look, love the expression, this mini is a good representation of red box mini, how does it feel while painting it? good smooth surface?

Red Box minis are some of the best out there in terms of cast quality and ease of paint. I have told Tre many times that his minis almost paint themselves. That being said, be prepared...these things are TINY.

#7 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 6234 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:17 AM

THAT'S a DROW ELF. Fo' sho'!!
A miniature venture of mine: http://www.cauldronbornminiatures.com

#8 vegel

vegel

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:46 AM

Haha i had a few that i really wanna get my brush on. I will get them once i finish a few more mini :)

my painting blog
http://51-cent.blogspot.com/

#9 Marsya

Marsya

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 305 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:56 AM

Looks great the blue background really makes her pop. I recently just bought my first red box mini with Aurelius the Adept I must agree with Mercius the cast was great few mold lines and good quality I only prepped and based as of yet still haven't gotten around to painting it yet but they are very tiny I was surprised to say the least on the size but an amazing scuplt none the less.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

George Bernard Shaw

My gaming and miniatures blog - a glimpse into my world of miniatures and games

#10 captenglish

captenglish

Godlike

• Members
  • 1235 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:42 PM

That is quite stunning! What did you use for the groundwork (the height works for this mini IMO)?

They [machines] cannot commune with God. Official Fieldarchy fanboy!

#11 cookjimjr

cookjimjr

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 800 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:19 PM

Thanks, everyone for the comments.

Merc - Thanks for showing some in Grey, it helped the greens out a lot. I still like the skin tones on the blue back ground, Maybe a light blue back ground would help all of it? who knows? I am glad you like the mini and hopefully we can do this again sometime.

To all who commented or asked about the basing: Since the mini was small but thin, I decided to get her up a little higher for viewing purposes. Also, I pictured her in a underworld cavern, looking out over a crevice. The Base was made from a Cork drain stopper that I got from Home Depot. They come in different sizes. This one was originally about 1.5" at the base and tapered to about 3/4". I just cut it to the approximate size then started cutting and pulling chunks out of it until I got the look I wanted. The rocks near the bottom are Playground gravel from the nearby elementary school. I primed, then painted it all in Shadowed Stone, Black washed for shadows, then highlighted in Icy Grey, with a touch of Snow Shadow mixed in for a bluer effect. Since I really do not picture plants in the underworld except maybe near an underground river or lake, I decided to leave the foliage off of this one.

Tre's Red-Box Minis are great in detail and quality, but are really tough for me to paint since I do not see very well(Take a lot of time to make sure I put the paint where I want it). Lots of magnification and Some really good brushes help. Mercius is right though, The way the minis are made and laid out, once the painting starts, it is easy to get the look you want. The eyes are tough to get at, but I have 10/0 and 20/0 brushes for that which helps.

All of the Red-box Minis I have painted seem to come out great and I consider them some of my best work. (Just so I don't get in trouble here :poke:, Reaper Minis still are my favorites due to the enormous variety. I paint more Reaper than anything else.)

#12 JimL

JimL

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:56 AM

Very nice, I like the tall base for this mini, it fits well.
To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer!
These guys rock, check them out! http://www.halestormrocks.com/

#13 thoth19

thoth19

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:53 PM

Very cool. The base is a nice touch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users