• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 papabees

papabees

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1732 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:45 PM

OK So i put together some magic wash and for the most part I'm happy with it...right after I apply it. Now I mostly do mechanical type figs (robots, battlemechs, CAVs) and the magic wash looks great right when I apply it but I'm finding that as it dries the color runs toward the bottom of the model so that the lower extremeties are shaded darker than the upper ones. It also seems like the intensity fades as well. Is there a way to make it stick a little better so that it stays consistent throughout?

#2 Inarah

Inarah

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3887 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:11 PM

You can try more paint and less wash. You can try applying it lighter so it's not as drippy. Try applying it over individual areas and not the whole figure. It takes a little experimenting to get the look you want.

If you think it is going on too heavy, you can run to a sink and rinse it carefully before it dries and start over. If you think too much is pooling in one area you can use a dry brush or the corner of a tissue to soak up some of it.
~It's not broken.... it's a conversion. ~

"I got my brother and his six year old hooked last week. They were soon back at the friendly local for more. Starts with a cute lil unicorn, next thing you're onto griffins and purple worms." ~ Carnacki the Ghost Finder

#3 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 5826 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:56 AM

Are you using india ink mixed with future or paint?
* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war - Shakespeare's Julius Caeser
* Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Tardis Express: When it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V
* My two hobby blog; Wargames and Railroads

#4 papabees

papabees

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1732 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:51 AM

Are you using india ink mixed with future or paint?

I used equal parts water and Future at about 12/1 w/ black paint. It basically has the consistency of black water. Should I hit the model with a matte sealer before I dip it?

#5 Lars Porsenna

Lars Porsenna

Godlike

• Members
  • 5259 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:10 AM

I tried this technique as well, and found it really doesn't work well, with the same results you described. Personally, if you want an out-of-bottle wash solution, pick up some of the GW washes. Same sort of effect, but without the runs or glossiness...

Damon.
-The Serial Crusher.
-Godlike since 9-09-04.
-My book blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
-My Minis blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
-My thoughts on D&D 4e: Link
-"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
-"Warhammer40000 is your Standard Sci Fi Setting injected with a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Starship Troopers and Star Wars, bathed in blood and turned up to eleventy billion (and then set on fire). Twice. With chainsaws." Quote

#6 papabees

papabees

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1732 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:42 PM

I tried this technique as well, and found it really doesn't work well, with the same results you described. Personally, if you want an out-of-bottle wash solution, pick up some of the GW washes. Same sort of effect, but without the runs or glossiness...

Damon.

I've heard good things about Devlin Mud. Maybe I'll give that a try.

#7 Rastl

Rastl

Goddess of Shiny Things

• Bones Supporter
  • 2489 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:50 PM

If you're looking for Magic Wash and not just a wash then you need something to make it stick.

Glaze medium or matte varnish will do that. My mix is 3:3:1 of glaze medium or matte varnish : water : liner. You can use paint but you'll need to adjust the mix due to opacity. If you want something to put a shine on them use gloss varnish instead.

I haven't tried inks with this so I can't say how they would work.

Pick up the glaze medium or matte varnish by the craft paints in Hobby Lobby or some other craft store.
Consistency and dedication are the hallmarks of -- oo! Shiny!
Nobody likes stompy mechenbooty. - Krztoff
Indulge me and visit my blog: RastlWorld
p.s. LOOK! I was the ANTI-RASTL! Only 20 words! - Anne
28mm troops with a difference .. or two. RastlWorldMinis

#8 papabees

papabees

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1732 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:44 PM

If you're looking for Magic Wash and not just a wash then you need something to make it stick.

Glaze medium or matte varnish will do that. My mix is 3:3:1 of glaze medium or matte varnish : water : liner. You can use paint but you'll need to adjust the mix due to opacity. If you want something to put a shine on them use gloss varnish instead.

I haven't tried inks with this so I can't say how they would work.

Pick up the glaze medium or matte varnish by the craft paints in Hobby Lobby or some other craft store.

I assume by liner you mean Reaper's liner? I like having enough to actually dip a figure in so if you were to use a black/darkbrown paint how much would you try first in relation to the Glaze/Water? 6:6:1 maybe?

#9 Rastl

Rastl

Goddess of Shiny Things

• Bones Supporter
  • 2489 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:48 PM

I use Reaper's liner, yes.

The 3:3 medium to water ratio is to thin it appropriately, obviously. You'll have to test out what it looks like when you add paint since there's so many variables. I'd say thin the medium with an equal part of water, then add some paint and see how it looks. Paints are iffy to say for certain due to all kinds of variables.

When I've used wash on terrain it's been straight matte varnish and paint with just a dab of water. So "it depends" is what I'm going to have to say.
Consistency and dedication are the hallmarks of -- oo! Shiny!
Nobody likes stompy mechenbooty. - Krztoff
Indulge me and visit my blog: RastlWorld
p.s. LOOK! I was the ANTI-RASTL! Only 20 words! - Anne
28mm troops with a difference .. or two. RastlWorldMinis

#10 papabees

papabees

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1732 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:53 AM

I use Reaper's liner, yes.

The 3:3 medium to water ratio is to thin it appropriately, obviously. You'll have to test out what it looks like when you add paint since there's so many variables. I'd say thin the medium with an equal part of water, then add some paint and see how it looks. Paints are iffy to say for certain due to all kinds of variables.

When I've used wash on terrain it's been straight matte varnish and paint with just a dab of water. So "it depends" is what I'm going to have to say.

Cool. I'll give her a try. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users