• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kengar

Kengar

Godlike

• Members
  • 1102 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:16 AM

You can see bigger pics on my blog here.

I wanted some warg riders for RPGs and Song of Blades and Heroes, but I didn't want to spend a ton on them. I had some WFB goblin "rider" legs from a an old Orcs & Goblins sprue, but I'd already made and painted the goblins from that set as foot troops, so I didn't have many torsos or heads left. What I did have were a bunch of Heroquest goblins. I also had 10 WotC plastic Timber Wolf minis plus a few Reapers wolves (from a 3-pack).

I drilled a small hole in each of the wolves' backs as well as in the "tailbone" of the goblins (ouch!). Then I glued a small bit of wire into the hole for each goblin. I then cut the HQ gobbos in half and glued their torsos to the WFB legs. A few of them I also swapped arms for bow-holding WFB ones. The gobbos got some quick paint and some Badab black wash. The riders are mounted on the wolves with the wire pin, but are not glued. That way I can use the wolf minis as just wolves as well.

Here you can see how the wire works:
Posted Image

Here's a closeup a few of them:
Attached File  3wolfgobs.jpg   65.61KB   1 downloads

Here's the whole gang:
Attached File  bothwargsquads.jpg   48.19KB   2 downloads

Here are the "squads" 1 & 2:
Attached File  wargsquad1.jpg   35.04KB   1 downloads
Attached File  wargsquad2.jpg   34.16KB   1 downloads

Here's one of them on a Reaper wolf:
Attached File  rprwolfrider.jpg   247.62KB   1 downloads

I ended up with 13. The last one is not pictured. There's also this guy, who can be a sort of hobgoblin/orc boss. (mounted on a WotC Winter Wolf):
Posted Image
If there's a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness, then I'm riding a tire swing above it!

48 Orcs in 28 Days

#2 Dr.Bedlam

Dr.Bedlam

Godlike

• Members
  • 2589 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:16 PM

HeroQuest leftovers. Is there anything they CAN'T do?

"Actually, I DO look like my avatar..." tumblr_me9zrqN4dK1rao9jio1_400.jpg

Bringer of Gonturzaps

http://www.reapermin...040-gonturzaps/

#3 Kengar

Kengar

Godlike

• Members
  • 1102 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:57 PM

HeroQuest leftovers. Is there anything they CAN'T do?

Doubt it! ::D:
If there's a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness, then I'm riding a tire swing above it!

48 Orcs in 28 Days

#4 haldir

haldir

I Don't Look Like My Avatar

• Bones Supporter
  • 12432 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:32 PM

those are nice!
Posted Image Posted Image Oh what the hell-- Posted Image

ReaperCon goer since 2005!

"The Road Goes Ever On......

"Lop that mutt's nards off spike! " orcsoul

#5 Spike

Spike

Goddess of Cupcakes and Cute Orcs

• Black Lightning
  • 6916 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:54 PM

Nice! And it's cool you play SBH too! That's such a fun game, and I like how you can use the army and character creation rules to fit just about any minis you own.

I never thought Warlord's goblin wolf riders were effective in the game. It'd be fun to see them in action in SBH.

linkmeg.gif
Aio, quantitas magna caseus est!

http://28mmtheatre.blogspot.com/

#6 Kengar

Kengar

Godlike

• Members
  • 1102 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:20 AM

Nice! And it's cool you play SBH too! That's such a fun game, and I like how you can use the army and character creation rules to fit just about any minis you own.

I never thought Warlord's goblin wolf riders were effective in the game. It'd be fun to see them in action in SBH.

The combat bonus for mounted and long move is a big boost for a runty gobbo. A pretty decent fig for 47 pts. Not much to do about their cruddy Quality unless you spring for a leader, though. ::):

48 Orcs in 28 Days

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users