Base and model size

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheOneHawk

TheOneHawk

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:42 AM

So, I've been looking for a way to get a unit of decent looking trolls for Warhammer Fantasy that don't cost ~150 dollars. I was able to find six trolls I like (perfect unit size imo) here for 45 with free shipping. Awesome for when I get a few dollars to spend. Problem is that even with those triangles I don't really know how well sized they would be for the correct base. Monstrous infantry are 40mmx40mm bases. They seem to be pretty close to the right size but unfortunately some of the pictures don't have the triangles so I also don't know if they're all similarly sized (which could be a pretty major problem).

These are the models I was looking at

65106: Lardgulp, Two Headed Troll
02488: Cave Troll Champion
02828: Thornback Troll
02416: Cave Troll
20013: Cave Troll (This one I'm quite concerned about. It comes painted and it's the cheapest of the bunch. Why?)
02680: Undead Troll

I know there's a million threads about this, and I'm sorry to add another one, but I'd like to be sure that I'll get what I want before I spend what little money I have.

#2 Don Rodolfo Graziani

Don Rodolfo Graziani

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:28 AM

Hi,

The reason 20013 is so cheap is that it is the pre-painted plastic version of 2416. I can tell you from experience, the only issue you'll have putting them on 40X40 bases is that their base may hang a touch over the edges. That and Lardgulp is a bit bigger than the others. They'll fill the base with just a bit of space left for some basing on the odd edges.

DRG
There are things about me you wouldn't understand.....
things you....couldn't....understand......
things you....shouldn't......understand.....
I'm a loner, Dottie......a rebel!

Posted Image

#3 Reaper Ron

Reaper Ron

Fantasy Brand Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:57 AM

Check out the photos and see if these help. As DRG says, Lardgulp will hang over the edge of a 40mm round, but he's got a lot of excess base that is easily clipped off. After doing that, he'll fit on just fine.

Hope this helps!

RR
PS Oh, and I've updated Lardgulp's DHL photo to include the Bryangles now.

Attached Thumbnails

• lardgulpbase.jpg
  • trolls.jpg

Reaper Ron

"Weasling out of work is important to learn; it's what separates humans from animals. Except for weasels." - Homer Simpson

#4 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

CareBear

• Bones Supporter
  • 6430 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:30 AM

No need to apologize for a base sizing question!! It's usually something someone on here will be happy to answer.

I've got all of the Trolls you're looking at, daring me to paint them, and now, because of your inquiring thread, I'm'a have to buy Lardgulp to feel complete and give Reaper even more of my money.

Look what you've done. :angry:
A miniature venture of mine: http://www.cauldronbornminiatures.com

#5 TheOneHawk

TheOneHawk

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:29 PM

I'll probably drop that pre painted one and find another one that fits the theme. These look awesome, thanks so much for putting them together like that Reaper!

Now, do I wait until after 1 year with my girlfriend to buy these, or take 50 bucks out of the budget for that. Decisions decisions. >.>

#6 haldir

haldir

I Don't Look Like My Avatar

• Bones Supporter
  • 12547 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:53 PM

If your need anther troll I'd highly recommend this one:

Pathfinder Troll

& not because it's a Pathfinder Troll but I just love the sculpt :devil:
Posted Image Posted Image Oh what the hell-- Posted Image

ReaperCon goer since 2005!

"The Road Goes Ever On......