haldir

Brinewall Legacy

254 posts in this topic

PZO9049_180.jpeg

Jade Regent Adventure Path: Part I Brinewall Legacy pbp

Original adventure by James Jacobs & Paizo staff

as quoted from paizo.com's site:

"When a trove of fireworks falls into the hands of the goblins of Brinestump Marsh, the people of Sandpoint fear an explosive invasion. But there’s more afoot in the soggy wilderness than goblin hijinks and dangerous pyrotechnics. An investigation reveals mysteries and menaces aplenty, but also a treasure holding the answer to not just one of Varisia’s greatest mysteries, but a conspiracy spanning continents and empires. Can the adventurers piece together a puzzle that links the owner of a sleepy village tavern to the unsolved destruction of a fortress-settlement? And can they withstand the ancient forces and secret destiny that have waited for them for decades?"

You can purchase the adventure HERE!

The adventure starts in the town of Sandpoint(Bigger pic & Map Key). While Sandpoint doesn't factor into this adventure all that much, other then a starting spot, the town does have a somewhat famous history. Almost 5 years ago Paizo set about the 1st Adventure Path in a new setting of Pathfinder, which has become one of the most popular games based on everyone's favorite rpg. That adventure path was Rise of the Runelords & the adventure started out in the small town of Sandpoint.

To be honest, not much has changed since the last time Sandpoint was involved in a Adventure Path. The town has been rebuilt from the goblin invasion, the stone giants attacks & the red dragon assault. Adventurers have stopped coming around, the discovery of the lost city of Xin Shalast have drawn adventures away seeking those treasures. The ruling body of Sandpoint has begun to take better care of itself by using their patrols to better the wilderness around the town. There are clashes with bandits & goblins but nothing that the town can't handle.

As far as some of the most important people of the town, the town leader is still Kendra Devrin & the sheriff is still Belor Hemlock. Father Abstalar Zantus is still the high priest of the multi-worship church of the town (all good gods & godess of Varisia have a shrine within). Amekio Kaijitsu is now the ruling noble of the Kaijitsu House after the death of her father in the Rise of the Runelords story arc. She still runs the most popular tavern in town "The Rusty Dragon" as well.

As far as deaths, the most important has to be Madame Niska Mvashti. While no one knew her real age, they all knew her to be really old. The old gypsy leaves her legacy to her daughter, Koya Mvashti, who herself is old by human standards.

The story so far

Reports of the local tribe of goblins, the Licktoads, have been harassing travelers on the Lost Coast Road (the major road between Sandpoint & points beyond, even Magnimar, the major city to the south). The goblins have somehow acquired a supply of fireworks which has made them more bold & more dangerous to the area. While there have been no deaths reported, the goblins have been frightening & most recently severely injured some travelers on the road. Sandpoint officials want the goblins dealt with, without callin on Magnimar to handle it's local problems.

The Licktoad tribe lives in the Brinestump Marsh to the south of the town. No one has bothered to map the bog as no one has needed too. There is a old fisherman's trail in the marsh that leads to Walthus. He is a halfling that lives within the swamp & is somewhat of a expert of the land. He doesn't come into town often, relying on the swamp for his needs & such.

Brinestump Marsh

Only a few days ago a few bright flashes of light were seen in the southern part of the Brinestump, more then likely the goblins getting ready for more mischief. They must be stopped!!

Only recently Sheriff Belor Hemlock has restored a old Sandpoint bounty, the "Goblin Bounty". The bounty was deactivated when a bunch of youths, to wet behind the ears, went looking for goblins & none came back alive. This bounty states that anyone can bring in relatively fresh goblin ears & will get 10 gold crowns per ear. In addition to that there is a 300 gold crowns for the head of the Licktoad tribe leader, Old Chief Gutwad.

Sandpoint & the surrounding Hinterlands

The story begins

The party has gathered at the Rusty Dragon Inn for a meeting with Sheriff Hemlock on what to do about the goblins & their plans for the swamp. The party knows each other but go ahead & post something about yourselves.

It's somewhat slow day at the inn, Amekio is busy cooking something up in the kitchen & her servants are handing out food & beverages to patrons in the common room.

EDIT:Forgot to put Hemlock's name into the Rusty Dragon Inn Meeting

Eisen, the tall human servant of Iomedae, can be clearly seen sitting at a table in the corner opposite of the entrance. His beautifully crafted crossbow, complete with ornate repeating bolt canister, is on the seat next to him. His longsword is covered in his cloak and propped up against the seat. He has somewhat shaggy black hair that doesn't quite fall to his jawline, which is seemingly perpetually covered in a five o'clock shadow. His face is young, but his piercing green eyes tell of a wisdom beyond his years.

Eisen scans the room (Perception 10)(first 1 of the game :zombie: might as well get it out of the way) while he mops up the last of his meal with a piece of bread.

Yoshi enters the Rusty Dragon (still wearing his armor and Katana) from his volunteer guard shift at Sandpoints Northern Wall and sits at a table in the center nearest the door. As he takes his seat he's nodding to faces he recognizes with a smile, accepting a pot of tea while requesting the server to pass a greeting along to Ameiko.

He's careful to avoid eye contact with Eisen, as he doesn't feel like being scolded for his poor attendance at the weekly group worships of Iomedae. He settles into a friendly conversation with some of the locals, a mix of idle chatter and this Goblin business. Arrow is hitched outside.

(Diplomacy: 17+5)

Always one desiring to avoid notice Tomalexan, Lex for short, slips quietly into the Inn and finds a seat near the wall. When he gets the chance, he will be ordering tea and bread and a bit of cheese. He sits back to observe or be observed (going for the "take 20" observation if that fits as I am thinking we have some time to wait on the Sheriff and I don't see any bad things happening from just looking around). Recently returned from gathering spell components along Boggy Creek he is content to sit and relax his tired feet until the Sheriff arrives.

Lex is a slim half elven druid, something of a diplomat when debates of faith arise. He is an understudy to Shalelu, learning the ways of wilderness survival. When given the chance and having sipped a couple of glasses of wine he is impassioned about the beauty and wonders of the natural world.

Eisen

Yah sure, there really isn't allot of people at the inn right now. It takes him a bit but he does see him sitting at a table.

Ayras enters the inn, a small grey fox accompanying him. Ayras is very aloof and somewhat reclusive and stand-offish, yet at the same time charismatic. He has long scraggly hair that helps to hide his half-elven features. He is otherwise clean and mostly well kept. He finds a place to sit where he feels he can listen to whats going on around him, while avoiding much direct attention for now. His fox companion curls up Ayras' chair and quickly falls to sleep.

Eisen will collect his things and move over toward Yoshi's table.

"Didn't see you at the service last week... been busy i take it?" ((Diplomacy, 6+9=15))

Aryas watches Yoshi and Eisen, hoping to pick up on some good rumors or gossip. A sly smile forming across his lips, mostly hidden by the hair.

Yoshikazu offers the Inquisitor tea if he decides to sit. "We've had this conversation before, honored servant. I practice my faith through my actions, not by attending meetings." He takes a long draught from his tea. "Besides, the Goblins are getting bolder. I haven't had much time to do anything."

Everyone that has gathered at the inn is here for a meeting with the local sheriff Belor Hemlock. After about 20 minutes of waiting & conversing with whoever the sheriff walks into the inn along with (Loim's character). He sits down at a table & orders up something for lunch. While there isn't a formal meeting taking place at the inn, there was a flyer that everyone seen posted around town that was calling on people willing to go into the Brinestump Marsh & to go after the goblins & put a end to their reign of terror before it really gets out of hand.

That meeting was to take place at the Rusty Dragon Inn (ie the "adventurer's inn") with Sheriff Hemlock. The man with the sheriff appears to be like yourselves a adventure type. He orders up something as well.

((OOC note: my character would not have introduced himself as an inquisitor, but rather a "divine servant" or "brother in arms". The fact you can "work outside the rules" is a card to keep up the sleeve.))

"Brother Yoshi, you know how much the divine Iomedae values discipline in prayer and attendance to sermons. I hope you will be more observant of your duties in the future. But I did not come here to chide you. Tell me of your battles with the gob.... Oh, looks like the sheriff is here. Were you here to see him?"

Aryas turns to look at the sheriff and his colleague, attempts at subtly now abandoned. The fox, named Mange, who had been sleeping under Arays' chair awakens as well, and sniffs around its immediate area for crumbs and handouts from the inn's patrons.

((OOC note: my character would not have introduced himself as an inquisitor, but rather a "divine servant" or "brother in arms". The fact you can "work outside the rules" is a card to keep up the sleeve.))

(OOC: Amended. I know I wasn't terribly clear before, but did I gain any more information from my Diplomacy check with the Inn patrons?)

Yoshi

While waiting for the sheriff, you converse with the few patrons in the inn & you either hear or overhear the following "talk" among them

"Them thar Licktoads never have been much of a problem before more like pests you find in your house, but now that they’ve found all those darn fireworks, they seem braver, that’s for sure. You see what happen to the last merchants that arrived from the south yesterday looked like??"

"Yah, some folks say that they’ve even learned how to make them, & that they’re getting ready set Sandpoint on fire! It'll be that like that dragon raid all over again!!"

&

"You know that Mengus character...."

"That swamp keeper?"

"Yah, thats the guy. He raises snakes as pets.

"NO?!"

"Jermaine, I swear on my dead mother's grave! He coddles them like my niece coddles her pet rabbit, Popper!"

"Eh, probably why the weirdo never comes to town, too busy playing with snakes & eatin swamp weeds!!"

"HA HA HA HA HA"