dks

14590 Liela, dark elf sorceress (Warlord)

Here's a figure that I painted in the last week: Liela, the sorceress for the Darkreach dark elves, from Warlord's Savage North.

Besides my usual palette for dark elves -- Volcano Brown skin, Deep Amethyst metals, Brown Liner ("black") leather and cloth -- I also used Surf Aqua and Sky Blue to get some icy tones. Her eyes are a softer pink than the orange or red that I've used on other dark elves. Her staff is in bone colors, with some scribbled painted-on texture.

For the snow, I used the same technique that I made up for the dwarven King Axehelm figure: Deep Amethyst, Sky Blue, and Pure White for the snow, and simulations of reflected light on the undersides of some objects using Sky Blue and Pure White.

Enjoy,

Derek

post-2358-13176842043824_thumb.jpg

post-2358-1317684221387_thumb.jpg

post-2358-13176842305653.jpg

• Like 2

Every time I see one of your finished figures I am immediately overcome with the urge to give my brushes and paints to someone else, and take up crochet or some other hobby. Fantastic job on this figure. The eyes are amazing, as is the crystal.Thanks for sharing, and keep 'em coming.

• Like 1

Amazing. I'm really impressed by how far you thoughtfully push your highlights on the skin. That glow truely adds to the realism and makes the miniature look alive.

Oh yeah, and that crystal...totally AWESOME.

wow awesome... I like her face, can totally feel her staring at me, can feel some emotion happening inside

I like the blue bits too, what paint is that pls?

by the way, Is that the green stuff version or the mass produced metal version?

Holy crap, that is one amazing paint job. The blending and highlights are all spot-on. I can barely imagine what it looks like in person. Good work - you're making everyone else feel bad :)

Some of the best eyes I've ever seen on an overall awesome model. Just too much stuff to complement.

Thanks, all. Glad you like her!

@loim, @vegel, @Ddot: Secret eye technique: I cut off the sculpted eyelids to widen her eyes and give her that intense stare.

@loim, @kanli, @MonkeySloth: The crystal is one of the few areas on the figure that goes to Pure White (most of her highlights go up to Leather White or Linen White), so that helps it stand out.

@kanli: Thanks for that comment -- it's only pretty recently that I started pushing my highlights on dark skin like this. It requires more work to highlight because the contrast is so high, but I think it really captures the sheen of skin. You can also see it on my Seelah (Pathfinder paladin), for example. And here, I figured that a dark elf in the far North might be a little paler than her subterranean cousins; in the concept art, Wayne Reynolds shaded her clothing but left her skin pale.

@vegel: The blue areas are either Deep Amethyst (bracers and other "armor", shadows in the crystal, shadows in her hair), Surf Aqua (highlights on the crystal and tips of her hair), or Sky Blue (shadows in the snow, "reflections" on the lower parts of the figure, glazing on the crystal).

And yes, this is the production metal version -- aside from the "eye surgery" (mentioned above) and some putty to fix where there were mold-lines across her hair or hands.

@888michael: Glad you like those touches. I did that on my King Axehelm (also for Warlord Savage North) and figured I would do it again. You can add some little "reflections" from implied off-stage light sources on almost any figure, too ... Wayne Reynolds does it all the time in his paintings!

Derek

• Like 1

That is a nice one. Love that last shot, almost looks like piece of artwork you'd see in a gaming book about dark elves.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pochi
      I painted this lady both for the Reaper facebook contest and for my Dungeons & Dragons campaign. She was part of Bones 3 and is another example of a really pretty face. I love the whole mini!

I didn't want top paint her skin blue but did want her to look cold. I added a little blue to the Reaper pale skin triad. I used Clear Purple to glaze in the shadows and glazed all over with very thinned Clear Blue. I ended up using my favorite colors for her clothes, shocking I know! I used my favorite wolf pelt colors for her cloak. I considered doing a snow leopard type pelt but wasn't sure if the longer fur looked catlike. Who knows, maybe I will have to get a second one and give it a try! She was fun to paint!

• By Pingo
      How slowly has this WIP gone? I started these elves in late spring 2016. Because of events and shake-ups I set aside all my work from that time, but now I have picked them up again. For this WIP I am making a warband of three female and one male Drow with support from a female sorceress Drider.

The three women are the wonderful set 03516: DHL Classics: Dark Elves sculpted by the inimitable Sandra Garrity. I'm going to identify each separately because they also have individual SKUs and names and it's easier to keep track of them that way. The man is 14046: Ardynn, Elf Hero sculpted by Werner Klocke; he is not intended as a Drow, but he looks so cranky I think he will do well as one. The Drider is a Bones mash-up of 77182: Arachnid Archer plus the torso of 77057: Juliette, Sorceress, as detailed in this thread.

All paints used are Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics. Color mixes are (usually) noted, but not exact ratios.

Questions are welcomed and I will try to answer them. Critiques are appreciated.

This is the way I usually start miniature figures: Lightly primed with Titanium White, then when that is dry, washing it over with Burnt Umber. Burnt Umber is a dark, transparent pigment that settles into crannies when thinned down and shows the details very well. It also gives a nice warm undertone to later paint layers.

To begin with I painted the three women's weaponry straight Carbon Black, with the thought that I would paint over it later with metallics or iridescents, which always look better against a dark underpainting.

I mixed a transparent dark blue-black from Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine Blue and washed it over the three women's skin, and a bit lightly over their hair to begin to work where shadows will be,

The first dark elf in the Garrity set is also sold as 02574: Female Dark Elf.

The second is also Reaper's 02524: Female Dark Elf Cleric

And the third is 02460: Vernicia

I then mixed some Titanium White with the blue-black to make a cold blue grey and added rough lights to the skin, and white to the hair.

Ardynn I started a little differently, with blue-grey mixes from Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Sienna, and Titanium White and a bit of straight white in his hair from the start.

This is my custom-made Drider, primed with Reaper's Brown Liner diluted somewhat:

I painted her skin and hair the same way I did Ardynn's. This is the crude beginnings:

Next time: Faces! And arghy bits I missed, like Ardynn's hands.

• By dks
      I painted King Axehelm while I was at Reaper HQ in late May, after ReaperCon.
      You might recognize him from the cover of the Warlord Savage North book. (Frost giant not included.)

Enjoy,
      Derek

• By dks
      Behold, Bregan the valkyrie!
      Gene Van Horne sculpted her, and she was a lot of fun to paint.

The rock has a core of old leftover bits (Green Stuff), held together with new putty, and a surface layer of Green Stuff + ProCreate + Aves Apoxie Sculpt.

I have a big container of glue-on snow product in my cabinet but haven't used it much -- I have generally sculpted snow as solid masses and then used paint to add the flaky texture -- example1 (dark elf sorceress),  example2 (dwarf king) but I decided to go back to the old for a change.  I think I also used this same container of "snow" on 02152 Fafnir of Kjord (link) ... painted in 2003!!!  There's a Throwback Thursday for you.  My painting style has changed a little since then.

Enjoy,
      Derek

• By dmpv01
      Autumn Bronzeleaf as a drow.

• Who's Online   5 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)