MonkeySloth

Tutorial: Creating Ice Bases

33 posts in this topic

So far I like what I see. I may go ahead and do something similar for several army projects in different systems.

Great work. VERY INTERESTING STUFF!!!! Thanks for posting this...

Thanks for posting this. I'm going to try to use this when basing my Icingstead army.

I love the idea of winter-themed warriors, so thanks a lot for posting this! It really gives some good ideas!

Part two is up for your enjoyment. Sorry it took a few days longer, I got stuck working on a podcast all weekend, and it was a much longer write up then I originally planned--but I wanted to cover this in some detail since it was the tutorial people were asking for over in the show off thread.

Great tutorial! Thanks for putting it up (and keeping the link to it in your sig, so people who weren't watching when it originally went up can see it now!).

I'm thinking about using this for a few character pieces in a tabletop army...so, a little over half a year later, how are these bases holding up? Is there any yellowing, or has it gotten more brittle over time?

Good question.

Maybe and No.

It looks like there might be a tad bit of yellowing on the bases where I made bigger chunks but it doesn't appear at all on those sections I stained with ink so it might just be a trick of the eyes as this stuff was never 100% clear. Also I never sealed these bases so that could also prevent the yellowing if it's actually happening.

It definitely has not gotten more brittle over time and by playing around with a test base I have I can say they're not going to fall apart of crumble.

2 people like this

This is an excellent tutorial, thanks for sharing the technique and materials! I'm curious to try this out as lava as well. ::):

Awesome. While I'm not going to do any ice-bases anytime soon, I can see some uses for this method for painted bases, such as lava flows, and dried mud, too.

I am so going to try using this to make lava bases!!

1 person likes this

This is really cool! Too bad I'm not heading into any frozen campaigns...