• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Boussole

Boussole

Rabble Rouser

• Bones Supporter
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:21 PM

Well, I'm back from my honeymoon and ready to start painting again! ^____^ I decided to do a mini for my husband this time since he enjoyed the last one i painted so much. He chose Naseer to go along with our Arabian Nights campaign and helped come up with the color scheme i'm going to use. As excited as i am for this mini, i have a feeling i'm going to regret some of his color choices by the end of this all~ ^___^;;; Ah well~ It'll be a good learning experience, regardless!

Posted Image

#2 Boussole

Boussole

Rabble Rouser

• Bones Supporter
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:30 AM

*edited in a pic*

I've decided to do all of the skin first instead of laying down my base coats as this guy is full of nooks and crannies that make me slop everywhere~ That, and doing a color mock-up in Photoshop really negates the need to entirely basecoat beforehand to see how the colors work together. ^_____^

#3 Zonto

Zonto

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:17 AM

That's how I paint normally - I focus on one area at a time instead of basecoating everything. It just feels easier for me. I like the shading so far, but it could probably use some more highlighting on the skin... it's a little hard to make out the details.

#4 MamaGeek

MamaGeek

Godlike

• Members
  • 2075 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

Yup, me three! I work each colored area at a time. I never basecoat an entire mini.
Posted Image
Proud Member of WAMP

#5 Boussole

Boussole

Rabble Rouser

• Bones Supporter
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:45 PM

Here's a long overdue update of this guy~

Posted Image Posted Image

Finished the skin and hair (yes, i'll be attempting some OSL later~) and I'm starting in now on the fabric. I keep seeing a lot of spots for touch up's but that'll have to come later~

#6 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 6233 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:58 PM

Dig.
A miniature venture of mine: http://www.cauldronbornminiatures.com

#7 Ishil

Ishil

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 758 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:02 PM

I like how it's going. He looks menacing.

Ishil
Jesus loves you. But not that much.

#8 feltisgirl

feltisgirl

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:27 PM

Photoshop for the colours first....I like that idea. Sometimes I just sit and stare at a mini trying to see the colours in my mind. I love what you did with eyes! Really great.
Gail

#9 Boussole

Boussole

Rabble Rouser

• Bones Supporter
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:00 PM

@Ishil: I'm glad he's coming across that way~ ^___^ I wanted him to look good and irritated.

@feltisgirl: I like having the freedom to try other colors I would normally never use without any consequences~ ^____^ I'm working on a Photoshop tutorial for people interested in trying this out, which I'll hopefully have finished soon.

#10 Boussole

Boussole

Rabble Rouser

• Bones Supporter
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:39 AM

Just another update. I've been a bit slower than usual lately due to some paint mishaps but i think he's turning out pretty well so far~ I'm going to pop some of the colors on the vest and turban a bit more i think and then it'll be on to the next section~ ^_____^ Eventually, i want to put some sort of arabian design on the back of the vest but I'm not quite sure what to go with yet. If anyone's got any ideas or suggestions I'd be glad to hear them~

#11 Loim

Loim

Sir Stupidly Special

• Bones Supporter
  • 2029 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:54 AM

The goatee and eyebrows on this guy are fantastic. Good work on the rest as well.

En Taro Tassadar, Executor. - Artanis

In the house of upside down

Cellar's top floor, attic's ground

Laughing cries, and smiles frown

Found is lost, and lost is found

#12 MamaGeek

MamaGeek

Godlike

• Members
  • 2075 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:18 PM

I hadn't checked in on this one in a while. It's nice to see how well he's coming along. Great work so far!

For the freehand, try doing a Google Image search for "Arabic Tattoo" or "Arabian Design" That should give you plenty of ideas to work with!
Posted Image
Proud Member of WAMP

#13 Boussole

Boussole

Rabble Rouser

• Bones Supporter
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:38 AM

I feel like I've spent a million hours working on this guy's cloud! You probably don't want to know how many different layers of paint there are on that thing alone~ OTL

I've decided it's good enough for now and am moving on to the next bits, but if you guys see anything that needs fixing or any suggestions for it still let me know. I might go back later and incorporate them~

#14 Zonto

Zonto

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:49 AM

Million hours was worth it - that cloud looks amazing!

#15 Boussole

Boussole

Rabble Rouser

• Bones Supporter
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:33 AM

Here's another update on this guy~ I've got most of the metal painted up and I should be about ready to start on all of the tiny gems pretty soon. Man, those are gonna be interesting to do~ ^__^;;;

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users