• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Vaitalla

Vaitalla

Godlike

• Reaper User
  • 2802 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:54 PM

Hi all! Just wanted to kick off this forum by letting you know that there have been some changes to the Sophie Awards this year. ::): If you haven't gotten around to reading all the rules and documents that Ed posted, this is the way it will run:

Our regular categories for the MSP Open (Painters, Open, and Ordnance) stay the same.

Our SOPHIES may be awarded to Best Reaper entries in Painters, Open, and the Best Reaper DIORAMA. We decided that people were doing a lot of nice dioramas with both stock and converted models, and we wanted to reward that.

Just to clarify, when you enter your diorama, it will go either into Painters (if you only want us to judge the painting) or Open (if the models are converted and you want painting and conversion/sculpting to be judged) or Ordnance (if it is a diorama involving CAV's, for example), just as usual. When we pull the Reaper models for Sophie judging, then we will separate the dioramas all out and put them in a group by themselves for judging.

So, just because you entered your diorama into Open, does not mean it qualifies for both Sophies. :;):

If Reaper begins manufacturing a bunch of machines of war (in metal or resin, I mean, not the trebuchet that Ed is building on the back dock), then you may see this change back to the old way...but we are giving this a try this year. We hope you like the change!

For more details, please give Ed's complete rules a read (pinned topic, above)!

And for the future, this is the forum to post any questions about the rules, categories, or upcoming Special Awards (TBA as we get closer).

Thanks all! Looking forward to the Con this year, see you all there!! ::D:

--Anne

"I have some acetone in the car if you need it." -- Jennifer Haley

#2 psyberwolfe1

psyberwolfe1

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2241 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:13 PM

Is this the judging criteria you have use all along? Just wondering because from reading it looks like museum grade plus which feels somewhat daunting.

2014 Painting Goal: 6 Figures/ 36 Painted as of 01/22/2014

For other Wargame and miniature related stuff you can read my blog at http://tacticalrock.blogspot.com

Does anybody else find it odd, by the way, that the information age has led to language becoming an oblique and imprecise tool where even the most straightforward phrasing is pored over with chicken entrails and bone tossing to divine the true meaning?

... nobody remembers Slave Leia because, "Oh my gosh! What innovative use of bronze."

Meep.jpg

#3 EdPugh

EdPugh

His Reaper-ness

• 1549 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:18 AM

Is this the judging criteria you have use all along? Just wondering because from reading it looks like museum grade plus which feels somewhat daunting.

Yes, it has been in use for a few years now.
We are just making the document available and more accessible to all involved.

best
to all
Best wishes,

Ed Pugh
Reaper Miniatures
Posted Image

"mix not nipples in a box, for they shall close their nipple thingy" Bryviticus 1:12

#4 Vaitalla

Vaitalla

Godlike

• Reaper User
  • 2802 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:34 AM

Yes, this is exactly what we've been using. Ed spent a lot of time going over these and personally and posting them up for everyone to be able to reference year-round. ::):

This the same Open System format used by the miniatures World Expo and also by such US shows as MMSI Chicago, Tulsa, and Atlanta.

I am unsure what you're referring to with "museum grade plus". I have judged at Tulsa and of course have used these rules to supervise judging here at ReaperCon and have found them to be a useful and fair system for assessing all scales and genres of entries. ::):

#5 psyberwolfe1

psyberwolfe1

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2241 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:48 PM

On paper they look pretty rough, but then again I'm my own worst critic.

2014 Painting Goal: 6 Figures/ 36 Painted as of 01/22/2014

For other Wargame and miniature related stuff you can read my blog at http://tacticalrock.blogspot.com

Does anybody else find it odd, by the way, that the information age has led to language becoming an oblique and imprecise tool where even the most straightforward phrasing is pored over with chicken entrails and bone tossing to divine the true meaning?

... nobody remembers Slave Leia because, "Oh my gosh! What innovative use of bronze."

Meep.jpg

#6 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

CareBear

• Bones Supporter
  • 6458 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:52 PM

Ed hasn't finished that excrement trebuchet yet???? :wacko:
A miniature venture of mine: http://www.cauldronbornminiatures.com

#7 chipchuck

chipchuck

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:49 AM

So can you help me understand what makes an entry a "diorama"?

I really like this idea of separating them into their own category. It's a tough field already, and trying to catch a judges eye with a mini mounted on a playable base is certainly more difficult when up against a large scene.

Thanks ya'll,
Chip
Resident Goof-ball.

#8 Vaitalla

Vaitalla

Godlike

• Reaper User
  • 2802 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:29 PM

So can you help me understand what makes an entry a "diorama"?

I really like this idea of separating them into their own category. It's a tough field already, and trying to catch a judges eye with a mini mounted on a playable base is certainly more difficult when up against a large scene.

From the rules Ed posted in the sticky topic, above:

"Diorama Division includes all dioramas and vignettes or entries that contain a minimum
of two models that are telling a story. Entries in this division may be composed of models
that are stock, converted, scratch-sculpted or a combination of all of the above. Entries in
this division are judged for Difficulty, Workmanship, Painting Skill, Presentation, and
Narrative."

So we are not looking for a witch on a base with her cat beside her, even though that is two models. The models must be posed/interacting or arranged in such a way that there is a narrative/story/dramatic scene.

Breaking down the factors:

Difficulty: How ambitious is your idea, and how well did you pull it off?
Workmanship: Did you remove all mold lines and address gaps or flaws in the figures? If there is conversion or sculpting, how well is it done?
Painting Skill: How well is the painting on the models, props and scenery done? Blending, smooth paint, color choice and composition, attention to the small details and advanced techniques (if used) all apply here.
Presentation: Composition/placement of the various models within the diorama, basing composition and execution.
Narrative: Is there a story here? How well do the models convey the story? This is a very important part of the scoring for this category. To paraphrase my writing instructors, to have a diorama story, you must have two or more models, in a place, with a problem. ::): The "problem" creates the story, but the setting and models involved add depth to it.

Did that help? ::):

#9 Duliniel

Duliniel

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:52 AM

Are there going to be any "special" categories this year?

#10 Petey

Petey

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

I'm planning on entering some minis. can someone tell me when they have to be entered by? What day and time? I may be only able to get there by friday afternoon. Thanks!

the newbie.

#11 Wren

Wren

Godlike

• Artists
  • 2071 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

Hopefully someone will be around with a more official answer, but this is what I remember from last year. People are encouraged to submit entries prior to Friday evening. (I think 6pm.) Since it is understood that some people cannot make it to the convention until late Friday or early Saturday, a small number of entries may be accepted on Saturday prior to noon if space permits. (Which it should.)

#12 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 6233 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

Entries will accepted starting at 3pm on Thursday through Saturday at noon (times could shift a bit but those will be close).

There is a bit of a disclaimer here. Typically Reaper only accepts entries on Saturday from attendees that cannot get to the convention before Saturday. And as Wren mentioned only as space permits. So if you are there Thursday and/or Friday you must have ALL of your painting entries entered.

Judging will begin at 7pm Friday night at which point the room (and in fact the entire hallway) is shut down to convention goers. Only judges (and possibly classes if those rooms are being used at that time) and their minions are allowed in the area during judging hours. The room will probably be shut down again around 1pm on Saturday so any late entries can be judged.

Award ceremony is Saturday at 6:30pm (or there about, subject to change without notice).

I'm not sure when entries can be picked up, certainly not until after the awards ceremony. I would encourage everyone that enters to leave their entries in place for as long as you can so that other people can see them.

Anne says we will be upstairs this year! Tons more room, everyone should enter!

Edited by Heisler, 23 April 2012 - 02:03 PM.

* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war - Shakespeare's Julius Caeser
* Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Tardis Express: When it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V
* My two hobby blog; Wargames and Railroads

#13 EdPugh

EdPugh

His Reaper-ness

• 1549 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

Heisler's post is generally correct. Except I want to add that the areas will not be closed during the judging as they have been in the past.

Best,

Entries will accepted starting at 3pm on Thursday through Saturday at noon (times could shift a bit but those will be close).

There is a bit of a disclaimer here. Typically Reaper only accepts entries on Saturday from attendees that cannot get to the convention before Saturday. And as Wren mentioned only as space permits. So if you are there Thursday and/or Friday you must have ALL of your painting entries entered.

Judging will begin at 7pm Friday night at which point the room (and in fact the entire hallway) is shut down to convention goers. Only judges (and possibly classes if those rooms are being used at that time) and their minions are allowed in the area during judging hours. The room will probably be shut down again around 1pm on Saturday so any late entries can be judged.

Award ceremony is Saturday at 6:30pm (or there about, subject to change without notice).

I'm not sure when entries can be picked up, certainly not until after the awards ceremony. I would encourage everyone that enters to leave their entries in place for as long as you can so that other people can see them.

Anne says we will be upstairs this year! Tons more room, everyone should enter!

Best wishes,

Ed Pugh
Reaper Miniatures
Posted Image

"mix not nipples in a box, for they shall close their nipple thingy" Bryviticus 1:12

#14 Petey

Petey

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

how late will entries be excepted on thursday night? i can get there by 7 i think?

#15 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 6233 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:16 PM

If you are there by 7pm I imagine you will be okay to get entries in on Thursday.
* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war - Shakespeare's Julius Caeser
* Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Tardis Express: When it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V
* My two hobby blog; Wargames and Railroads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users